• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to fix Nikon ED82? (sounds silly, i know) (1 Viewer)

Odradek

Hi,

i have two questions about the Nikon ED82. I got it last week but unfortunally i could not test it that much yet. But there is something maybe you can help me. My former scope was a old Optolyth TBS 80. This scope could be fixed with two screws to the sliding plate. The Nikon ED82 has only one screw and a hole for a little bolt wich dont really fix the scope but only prevent movements from left to right. Well, i didn´t moved the scope often but i always have to tighten the screw again. I had the Optolyth for around 4 months and this happened only one time. What is my mistake? Today i fixed the screw at home, put the scope carefully in the car and as i used it in the field the screw was loose again. Not only a bit, the scope was really shaking like it will fall off after another turn of the screw.

Now i am afraid. During the time we count birds i wear the scope with the tripod on my shoulder. What if i dont realize the loose screw and the scope gets seperated from the tripod? How do you fix your ED82? Is there something i am doing wrong? I dont want to break the scope :-C

The other question is about the twist out eyecup. It is the first time i use this. How durable are they? Do i have to worry that they wont stay in their position after several twist outs?

You could try with another sample of the quick release plate, if the screw is worn.
And you could use Loctite in the threads too. Avoid removing the plate if it isn't absolutely necessary.
Since I ride the bike to wherever I go, I keep the scope in a backpack. Thus, I only carry the tripod in my hands or over the shoulder. The habit to put down the scope in the backpack when leaving has the deepest roots in me.

The eyecup of my MC 27x/40x/50x is slightly wobbly, but presents no real problem to me.
The eyecup of my MC II zoom is rock steady and I can't see that change.

//L

Odradek,

I have the same problem with my ED82. I assumed it was something to do with the weight/balance. I did buy one of the locking adapter plates that Manfrotto sell but it didn't improve much. I have now gone back to using the standard Manfrotto plate and just tighten it as much as I can at the beginning of each trip. I carry it over my shoulder/under my arm using a tripod strap and it rarely comes loose during a trip out.

Perry

Last edited:
I find that when I use a plate that allows a pin to engage the second hole that it prevents twisting, that it prevents loosening. Otherwise, the suggestion to use Loctite (blue, removable type) is good. But I suspect the biggest problem is preventing rotation on the plate, because that is what causes loosening. A better QR (e.g. Bogen 3157NR) or better yet, a better plate system (e.g. from Really Right Stuff) will prevent this.

--AP

Thank you for your answers!!

Actually i use the Manfrotto 701HDV head. The screw is almost new.

Well, thats somewhat of annoying. The Nikon scope is so much better than my old Optolyth and i really want to keep it. Why didn´t they made two holes for screws? That would be much safer. So, it seems the only real solution is to live with it and always tighten the screw again?

The eyepiece is the 38x MC WW.

But I suspect the biggest problem is preventing rotation on the plate, because that is what causes loosening. A better QR (e.g. Bogen 3157NR) or better yet, a better plate system (e.g. from Really Right Stuff) will prevent this.

I agree. I use an old Gitzo QR system with a largish, totally flat plate. I removed the (very worn) cork completely and replaced it with a thin (0.5mm) piece of rubber. That increases the friction so much I don't have any problems at all with the plate loosening.

But even without the rubber the plate should stay put if it is large enough to cover the whole foot of the scope.

On the subject of the eyecups: No problems at all so far, neither with the 30x, the 38x nor the 25x-75x zoom.

Hermann

Velcro?

Has anyone tried "self-adhesive velcro" on plate and scope and when you tighten the screw the two velcro parts interlock ?
There are different kinds of velcro, some "stronger" than others...

Anders

I have had my ED82 for over 7 years now..but never experienced that problem. In the beginning I used the Manfrotto 128 RC, but now I am using the 701 HDV head. But an advice is to have the tripod head unlocked when transporting the telescope in your car. Maybe it can solve the problem!

Thank you for your advices!

The last 3 days the screw has not moved again. Maybe i have to tighten it more and maybe i should try the rubberpiece if it happens again. But i am afraid that i tighten the screw to much.

Unfortunally i did not made another excursion until now. The weather is not the best and unfortunally i have some depressed days. Damnit i want to test my new scope :-C

By the way, do you use your scope with the stay on case? It is somewhat noisy when the focus ring grindes on the leatheredges of the case.

Odradek,

I can confirm, it's the plate by Manfrotto that is responsible for your problem. Arca Swiss like the ones that come with Berlebach heads are better and also the plates by Velbon. Most tripod feet of current spotting scopes (Kowa, Zeiss Swarovski, Leica) are designed like the one of the Nikon Fieldscope, with just one tripod thread and a hole for the video pin. I didn't know that Optolyth has two threads. With a fitting plate, that is certainly a better solution than the one with the video pin.

Steve

I haven't actually tried this but I wonder if a bit of plumber's tape around the plate screw would help.

When I first got my Nikon (used ED82), it was suggested by the folks at CleySpy for the collar screw on the scope as it kept working loose. In the event I replaced everything (no charge), from Nikon UK and it's now much better.

I haven't actually tried this but I wonder if a bit of plumber's tape around the plate screw would help.

When I first got my Nikon (used ED82), it was suggested by the folks at CleySpy for the collar screw on the scope as it kept working loose. In the event I replaced everything (no charge), from Nikon UK and it's now much better.

Hi Dipped,

What do you mean by 'replaced everything'? I have the same problem of the collar screw working loose and would love a reliable fix.

Perry

Hi Dipped,

What do you mean by 'replaced everything'? I have the same problem of the collar screw working loose and would love a reliable fix.

Perry

Hi Perry Grin

I replaced the bearing, the spring and the collar screw in stages but what made the most difference was putting a new collar screw on. If you need help on disassembly I can advise.

Of course if you want a permanent fix you can thread-seal the collar screw.

Hi Perry Grin

I replaced the bearing, the spring and the collar screw in stages but what made the most difference was putting a new collar screw on. If you need help on disassembly I can advise.

Of course if you want a permanent fix you can thread-seal the collar screw.

Thanks dipped

Don't fancy taking everything apart tho! Will try a new collar screw and/or some plumbers tape first and see how I go....

Perry

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back