• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk wildlife (1 Viewer)

7 white admirals at Bentley Old Hall woods today. Failed to find any white-legged damselflies on the Stour, near Bures and Sudbury. If anyone knows any reliable Suffolk (or north Essex) sites I'd love to know.

River Stour at Wormingford is good, also found a couple this year on the River Box at Thorrington Street, three weeks ago now though. Hundreds of Common Emerald Damsels here last week though and a badger, which was nice.

Phil

Hey Steve

The only place I've seen White-legged Damselfly was on Mersea around the edge of the 2 fishing ponds just after you cross the strood. The ponds can be accessed from the layby on the right fork towards W Mersea.

Are the Lizard Orchids easy to locate at Devils Dyke?

Cheers

Sean

Yes. Very they are near A14. I think you can park there. But easiest to park in Newmarket and keep walking until you get to them. Impossible to miss!

A desert locust in a Sudbury garden this afternoon. The best I managed was a couple of purple hairstreaks at Brookhilll Wood, Foxhall.

I hope this does catch on with others!

2 purple emperors, white admiral, purple hairstreak at Theberton woods today (silver washed frit. seen by others).

White admiral and white-letter hairstreaks at Dunwich forest.

How much longer would you expect the Purple Emperors to be around bearing in mind the weather we've had this year? Every time I've had the opportunity to come up for them it's been cloudy and not as warm so haven't bothered???? This weekend looks OK though so would they still be about?

Purple emperors are around into August. They may be starting to get a bit tatty though. I'm no expert, but I do think they are more likely to come down earlier in the season. It doesn't seem to be a great site for them coming down anyway - despite lots of bait being put out. Plenty else to see in the area.

Today:

Wolves Woods: 6 sliver-washed fritillaries, 3 white admirals
Hintlesham Woods: 5 silver-washed fritillaries, 2 white admirals
several southern hawkers at both sites.

Purple emperor sites

How much longer would you expect the Purple Emperors to be around bearing in mind the weather we've had this year? Every time I've had the opportunity to come up for them it's been cloudy and not as warm so haven't bothered???? This weekend looks OK though so would they still be about?

No news on the introduced Theberton Suffolk purple emperors.

Purple emperors can be seen in Hertfordshire off the M25.
Butterfly Conservation Herts and Middlesex branch sightings
Broxbourne Woods off the A10 Exit south of Hoddesdon
Bricket Wood south east of the M25 / M1 junction.

Would not like to say whether any purple emperors will be about this weekend or where at these locations the butterflies have been seen.

Last edited:
Having been quiet butterfly wise in the garden, a few more species about including Gatekeeper and Meadow Brown, a couple of Holly Blues and Speckled and several Large Whites.

The moth trap was out last Saturday and highlights included Old Lady, Kent Black Arches and Bird-cherry Ermine. Amongst the moths were several Water Boatmen, a Green Shieldbug, a chafer - Serica brunnea and quite a few Caddisfly - Mystacides longicornis.

A wander over to Martlesham Heath today with a single tatty Silver-studded Blue, some Small Copper and a few Browns.

Gi

1. Old Lady
2. Kent Black Arches
3. Bird-cherry Ermine
4. Water Boatman
5. Serica brunnea

Attachments

• IMG_6369_Old Lady.jpg
    IMG_6369_Old Lady.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6321_Kent Black Arches.jpg
    IMG_6321_Kent Black Arches.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6326_Bird-cherry Ermine.jpg
    IMG_6326_Bird-cherry Ermine.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6258_Water Boatman.jpg
    IMG_6258_Water Boatman.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6226_Serica brunnea.jpg
    IMG_6226_Serica brunnea.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 35
I didn't see a great deal today. Although a purple hairstreak, at Alton Water, was a site 'tick' for me. Grass snake there too.

Chatting to someone at Alexandra Park, Ipswich, I found that the introduced population of marbled whites has now been survived for three years.

Here's a picture

That would be great to get in the garden. The closest I could get was this Field Grasshopper today with Holly Blue and Pyrausta aurata. Another find was a possible Ichneumon molitorius.

Gi

Attachments

• Field Grasshopper.jpg
    Field Grasshopper.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 29
  • Holly Blue.jpg
    Holly Blue.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Pyrausta aurata.jpg
    Pyrausta aurata.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6411_Ichneumon molitorius.jpg
    IMG_6411_Ichneumon molitorius.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 33
Is this a faded White-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus (Bombus) lucorum)?

Taken at Minsmere RSPB 8th August.

Thanks Robin

Attachments

• 002 Bumblebee species Minsmere RSPB Suffolk UK GB August 2013 cp pt crs 130dpi.jpg
    002 Bumblebee species Minsmere RSPB Suffolk UK GB August 2013 cp pt crs 130dpi.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Landguard NR

15+ Clouded Yellows in and around the roped off area near the point 17/8/13

Attachments

• AQ5C4082.jpg
    AQ5C4082.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 39
I was hoping to find my first Clouded Yellow at Lowestoft North Denes yesterday but no luck. However I enjoyed watching a couple of Small Coppers nectaring on the Sea Holly.

Ron

Attachments

• Small-Copper-1-small.jpg
    Small-Copper-1-small.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Small-Copper-2-small.jpg
    Small-Copper-2-small.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 36
I was hoping to find my first Clouded Yellow at Lowestoft North Denes yesterday but no luck. However I enjoyed watching a couple of Small Coppers nectaring on the Sea Holly.

Ron

Lovely pics Ron. There was absolutely stacks of butterflies about today (and Silver Y too) - fantastic sight.

Gi

Attachments

• Butterfly bonanza_1.jpg
    Butterfly bonanza_1.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Peacock.jpg
    Peacock.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Small Tortoiseshell.jpg
    Small Tortoiseshell.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Painted Lady.jpg
    Painted Lady.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 34
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back