• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can one replace the screw in a Swarovski quick release plate? (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Would anyone know if you can replace the screw in a Swarovski FH101 quick release plate? I would like to replace the 15mm screw with a 20mm screw.

This is so I can eliminate the black round adapter that the entire camera mounts on when using my EagleEye Generic Cable Release Bracket. I'm using a 8x long lens so it makes focusing the lens a little awkward having the entire camera balancing on this one piece.

I have no idea how to even try to remove the screw without damaging the quick release plate.

I did order a few ScopeTronix EZ-Pix II that will grasp the 8x lens and hold the camera so this may be a better solution but that knob will still be on the bottom of the camera. I'm going to try shooting through binoculars next and purchased these adapters. I'm taking baby steps to a Swarovski Scope.

YellowBudgie said:
Would anyone know if you can replace the screw in a Swarovski FH101 quick release plate? I would like to replace the 15mm screw with a 20mm screw.

This is so I can eliminate the black round adapter that the entire camera mounts on when using my EagleEye Generic Cable Release Bracket. I'm using a 8x long lens so it makes focusing the lens a little awkward having the entire camera balancing on this one piece.

I have no idea how to even try to remove the screw without damaging the quick release plate.

I did order a few ScopeTronix EZ-Pix II that will grasp the 8x lens and hold the camera so this may be a better solution but that knob will still be on the bottom of the camera. I'm going to try shooting through binoculars next and purchased these adapters. I'm taking baby steps to a Swarovski Scope.

I peeled back the rubber coating on the top of the quick release and the screw was able to be unscrewed. Just need to buy the screw now.

then it is off to the hardware store I guess ? I am looking to buy a swaro scope soon as well , although that expression "soon" may be more like a few years ! By the way have what other scopes have you thought about - I like the idea of a Ziess 85 mm with a larger objective lense .

danehower said:
then it is off to the hardware store I guess ? I am looking to buy a swaro scope soon as well , although that expression "soon" may be more like a few years ! By the way have what other scopes have you thought about - I like the idea of a Ziess 85 mm with a larger objective lense .

Just a FYI, they sell the screws at:

http://www.tripodquickrelease.com/Parts.htm

They had quick release plates for my fathers 20 year old Velbon Tri-Pod. I was surprised.

Now I have the Swarovski Tri-Pod 1 with the FH101 Head. What a difference from the Velbon! The only thing I don't like is the left-right tension is set with a screw. I found that a little odd.

I plan to see what I can save up for next summer. I don't have the money now either. I also want to make sure I stay in the hobby to spend that much money on a high end scope.

I haven't really decided but was looking at the Swarovski 80 HD (Not sure which style to pick ATA or STS) with the Digital Camera Base. Zeiss also has very nice high end scopes and a nice Digital Camera Adapter/Base but appears it may need to mount on a Zeiss Tri-Pod Head. I really haven't put too much research into the scope yet since I know I have time to think about it.

Everyone so far has told me to buy something high end first since they all went through the upgrade stage so many times and would not have wasted the money if they knew they were going to end up with a Swarovski, Zeiss, etc in the end to be happy with their results.

I was thinking about binoculars to shoot through before going to something real expensive. The 8x CrystalVue plus the 3x on the Canon A95 I'm using can frame a small bird (golden finch) in the entire photo at 6 feet (at the window feeder). I can't really crop much because I would loose quality with the print out. I've been happy with the results when I can frame the bird in the entire photo. Outside will be a different issue. I have to stay out of the birds spook zone and the 8x add on will not get me close enough but perhaps binoculars will until I can afford a high end spotting scope.

It's almost winter here and the snow will be here before I know it. I can learn more and practice with what I have during the winter time. I can also learn photoshop to touch up and fix photos in the meantime. If any unique winter birds come along to feed I can try to photograph them.

I'm still going to go out and try outside shots of birds with what I have and see how close I can get. I finally started shooting birds just a few weeks ago. I'm still learning the Canon A95 manual features.

Someone was showing me his high end Nikon Digital SLR with doubler and a large lens at a specialty bird store. He said he was shooting out to 400mm. I may be wrong but I thought that is about 12x or so. It made me think how nice it would be to have a Digital SLR but to get enough zoom seems very expensive. Maybe one day if I get a Swarovski and latter on on the years get a Digital SLR I could try the Digital SLR with the Swarovski TLS 800.

I have my novice photos that came out the best here on BirdForum at:

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/39703

See ya,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back