• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is better overall an 8x42 Leica BN or a 7x42 Leica BN? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
What is everybodies opinion on which of these two they prefer. Leica 8x42 BN or the Leica 7x42 BN. I am looking to buy one or the other. Each has it's advantages. Has anybody viewed through both and compared them. Thanks!

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I think your final choice may come down to how a 7x or 8x binocular fits into your current or future optics setup.....if you have a 10x or plan on getting one in the future, I'd go for the 7x - they complement each other very well.

If you plan on just one all-rounder, that's a bit more tricky and the 8x makes good sense.....but 7x has seduced me, so my first choice would be the 7x42.....you really lose nothing in magnification, you gain more f.o.v. (& depth of field) & shake is far less apparent when viewing. Low light performance may also be a tad better?

I believe all Trinovid 42's (7x, 8x, 10x) weigh about the same & other than the points I've mentioned, I find no major difference in quality between my 7x42BN & 10x42BN - nothing I can gripe about anyway!

I'm probably telling you what you already know......and can only speak from a 7x compared to 10x standpoint. I think it's down to your intended usage & the price you're happy to pay. The 7x42BN Trinovids are getting scarce (new & used) and will hold their value well.......

Cheers,

Mook.

Last edited:
mook said:
Hi Dennis,

IIf you plan on just one all-rounder, that's a bit more tricky and the 8x makes good sense.....but 7x has seduced me, so my first choice would be the 7x42.....you really lose nothing in magnification, you gain more f.o.v. (& depth of field) & shake is far less apparent when viewing. Low light performance may also be a tad better?

The 7x42BN Trinovids are getting scarce (new & used) and will hold their value well.......

I agree entirely with Mook's recommendation. Interestingly, I had a crisis of conscience a few years back that my Leica 7 x 42 BA was redundant of a newly acquired Zeiss 7 x 42 Classic, and consequently I tried to sell the Leica for $625 on both eBay and Astromart. Remarkably, there were no takers and no interest. I ended up holding on to both the Leica and the Zeiss, and, as a now confirmed 7x fan, am very glad I did.

Last edited:
What is everybodies opinion on which of these two they prefer. Leica 8x42 BN or the Leica 7x42 BN. I am looking to buy one or the other. Each has it's advantages. Has anybody viewed through both and compared them. Thanks!

Dennis

Dennis,
If you are considering the 7 x 42 BN Trinovid here you will be disappointed to find that they are discontinued. The 7 x 42 BR Ultravid is still available at an average price close to $1700.00 US funds. You can still get the 8 x42 BN Trinovids for a lower price than that.

I can't tell you what one to choose. I've got the 7 x 42 BN. I've used 7 x 42 for many years. I've discovered that there are 2 types of binocular enthusiasts. Those who think the 7 x 42 format is the best binocular format ever and the rest of you out there!

Good Luck,

Bob
B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back