• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (1 Viewer)

Had an AWESOME DAY:D

Arrived Lakenheath 7.45am. Beautiful sunny morning, already quite a few cars in the carpark, which I expected at Oriole time, plus the fact the visitor centre officially opened on Thursday.

As I walked along the bank saw lots of mute swans, great crested grebes, reed and sedge warblers, common whitethroats, heard a grasshopper warbler by metal gate by large willow on corner. Could hear the wonderful sounds of the orioles - such a magical song. Saw brilliant views of both male and female Golden Orioles together in the tallest poplar at 8am. And at one point 4 together!!! - they were very active at this time and were flying about, back and forth through the golden leaves of the poplars - so stunning to watch in glorious sunshine! Heard a green woodpecker calling in the wood. 2 male gargeney on the scrape. 3 common terns fishing, gadwalls, heron, blackcap singing. Blackbird feeding young nearby. 10am - Walked up further (a long way) to view the cranes and on route someone had spotted 2 hobbys on edge of next poplar wood. 2 birders I had been talking to who I recognised (but didn't they names!) walked on ahead of me as I watching a hairy dragonfly and a 4 spotted chaser - when I next caught them up they had seen a Red Kite! - bother, didn't think I would have any hope of catching up with it later! Anyway watching over the massive reed beds at this end of reserve we all saw a pair of marsh harriers, more hobbys, and suddenly erupting out of the reeds 2 Cranes got up and flew across to a scrape in middle distance - WOW - so lucky to see that! Norman Sills came across and had a chat and then I walked down the bank to join the RSPB trail back behind the poplar woods to carpark for my sandwiches which I now wish I had brought with me! Could hear the wonderful fluting calls of the orioles as I walked past the woods. Suddenly the Red Kite appeared from nowhere! - watched it for quite a while, brilliant! Saw some crisp male reed buntings on way back to carpark and close views of a cuckoo. Went into the new visitor centre first of all, as needed the ladies desperately!! And on that note the BEST loos on a visitor centre yet, choice of dryer/paper towls and even a full length mirror! The visitor centre was of course very smart inside, with interpretation boards etc, sightings board etc etc. The scrape directly in front of visitor centre looks brilliant. There were several round picnic tables/chairs in place between centre and carpark and new tree plantings, it looked very good. Had my lunch by car and then decided to have a nap. I knew I was going to be tired after previous nights drive and had bought a proper feather pillow with me today!!! I went to sleep on back seat for (can't believe this!) 3 hours!!!!!!! (1.30-4.30pm) Had a cup of tea and oatcakes and slowly got my self together and then left - went home a different route, worked out on map there wasn't much difference mileage and went to Flitcham where AT LAST I saw the little owl sunning himself in the base of the oak tree, along with female marsh harrier, greylags with goslings, shelducks, mute swans etc etc and a great spotted woodpecker bounded across the marsh. Also a jackdaw was playing with a gun cartridge, very amusing to watch, kept picking it up, dropping it and flying with it! Lovely day, working tomorrow (bother!)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi Penny
Yet another super report on a fantastic day.
I hope to get to Lakenheath tomorrow (Mon). I have heard that it is best to get their early, so I am aiming to leave home at 0500 to arrive by 0700. Is it best to observe from the Bank (Washland Trail?) for Orioles & Cranes?

Regards

Kevin

Hi Penny
Yet another super report on a fantastic day.
I hope to get to Lakenheath tomorrow (Mon). I have heard that it is best to get their early, so I am aiming to leave home at 0500 to arrive by 0700. Is it best to observe from the Bank (Washland Trail?) for Orioles & Cranes?

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Thanks!

Generally yes, earlier the better for both orioles and cranes. Yes it is better to observe from the bank, follow the bank until you get to first big ride* in poplars (going through gate on corner by big willow tree, which also look out for treecreeper and spotted flycatcher on this corner), that is the best place. Then continue along bank, going through a another metal gate and just before the next gate (quite a walk round), thats where I saw the cranes fly up. But the warden said they can appear anywhere and are more active early morning.
Also look out for kingisher generally in vicinity of Oriole ride* (main watch point). Have a brilliant day.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Went for a walk at Carlton Marshes for the first time today. Very pleasant and only 3 or 4 miles from home. There was a section comprising reed beds, pools and small scrubby trees which had lots of activity. We heard quite a few Cetti's and saw several Sedge and Reed Warblers.

There were about six Reed Buntings showing very well on the trees and reed tops and beside the track leading to the river we heard, then spotted a Grasshopper Warbler, a first for me.

A very pleasant walk but it was a pity the Visitors' Centre was shut.

Ron

Hi
Set out for Lakenheath at 0500 and debated my wisdom as I drove through some very thick mist along the way. Thankfully it was clear as I pulled into the car park at 0650, amazed to find about a dozen cars already parked up.
Set out along the Washland Track to find a number of birders scanning the first poplars. The wind was strong and noisy from the east but I soon heard the Golden Oriole call. While waiting patiently, Cuckoo, Grasshopper Warbler, Sedge and Reed Warbler entrtained. A few calls of Oriole sightings, but I was not quick enough. I scanned the poplars before watching two females fly across the ride (Lifer 1). Continuing along the track I was pleased to see a male Garganey, and a Redshank flew across the river. Further Oriole calls but no sightings. At the end of the poplars where the White Trail joins Washland, two Cranes flew over, bugling, before landing near the railway (Lifer 2). No further sightings but bugling indicated close proximity. Once in the shelter from the wind, further Oriole calls and the sight of two males, one in flight and one perched. Absolutely super and well worth the drive.
In total 43 species including the above plus Shoveller, Teal, Green Woodpecker, Marsh Harrier (2), Whitethroat, Jay, Common Tern, Gadwall.
Disappointed at not seeing Hobby, but a real super morning.

Regards

Kevin

Hi
While waiting patiently, Cuckoo, Grasshopper Warbler, Sedge and Reed Warbler entrtained.

Great day in Suffolk yesterday with a superb adult purple heron seen very well in flight and on the ground from bittern hide. Also on the reserve were two bitterns, a single hobby and two drake garganey. Also had woodlark at Westleton and firecrest at Dunwich.

Went to lakenheath in the afternoon and had two cranes flying over and a single drkae garganey. Heard the orioles but no sign in 3 hours of watching!

Hippo. Where did you see the grasshopper warbler? I'd be interested in knowing as I didn't see/hear any on my visit (and thats not me doubting you either). Would like to see them on my future visits you see.

Cheers

Great day in Suffolk yesterday with a superb adult purple heron seen very well in flight and on the ground from bittern hide. Also on the reserve were two bitterns, a single hobby and two drake garganey. Also had woodlark at Westleton and firecrest at Dunwich.

Went to lakenheath in the afternoon and had two cranes flying over and a single drkae garganey. Heard the orioles but no sign in 3 hours of watching!

Hippo. Where did you see the grasshopper warbler? I'd be interested in knowing as I didn't see/hear any on my visit (and thats not me doubting you either). Would like to see them on my future visits you see.

Cheers

No problem. Take Washland Path, go through first kissing gate and listen/look between here and the first group of poplars. Todays Grasshopper Warbler was reeling away from one of the small bushes in the reeds. (see also post 61 above). Sorry you did not see the Orioles. For me, these and the cranes were worth the 220 mile round trip.

Regards

Kevin

Had a try for nightjars at rendlesham forest last night although we heard a couple calling by the time it was to dark to see we hadn't seen any and had to return home defeated
cheers

Hi I did'nt know Rendlesham had nightjars I might give it a go instead of Dunwich heath I saw one there once as a kid whilst fishing but not since i've fully converted to birding.
Cheers
Barry

Every time I've been to Minsmere recently, in the evening I've heard a very loud and rapid "peep peep peep peep peep" call coming from the trees. It sounds to me exactly like the recording of the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker on the RSP site, so I have scanned the tree tops to see if I can see one.

So far I have had no luck and, as nobody else has mentioned it, I guess it must be something else. Has anyone got any ideas? As I say, it sounds just like the 'peeping' noise after the drumming on the RSPB site recording.

Ron

How about Nuthatch - they can give a repeated peep peep call

How about Nuthatch - they can give a repeated peep peep call

Thanks for that suggestion. I've just listened to the Nuthatch recording on the RSPB site and it is a possibility, although I think the sound I have heard is a bit more rapid and urgent sounding than that.

Perhaps someone else will hear it or I will see what is making the sound and all will be revealed. I'm beginning to think it can't be a LSW as it would have been reported by now.

Ron

Minsmere 25/05/2007

Had a nice day down at Minsmere today despite not feeling 100%.
Bittern hide was packed - managed to get good views of the PURPLE HERON (lifer) flying over the reedbed, along with BITTERNS, GREY HERONS and quite a few MARSH HARRIERS.

Didn't have enough time to go around the whole scrape as had a prolonged and leisurely lunch. Just manged to do the North ide before having to go home. Tried to get in the West hide but it was packed with a whole heap of 5 year olds on a school trip!

Had one other lifer from North Hide - SANDWICH TERN.

2007 list = 85
Life list = 91

TTFN
Claire

Purple Herons

I've been quite lucky this week. Twice I've been to Mins after work and sat in the Island Mere hide and got good prolonged views of the Purple Herons. It is great to see them displaying in flight and I cannot help wonder if we are seeing the start of colonisation.

Each evening a Bittern put on a good show as well and we had a perched Kingfisher on Thursday.

Dave C

I am coming to Lakenheath on Sunday. I aim to be there at around 5am. Is it obvious where to go for the Orioles ie signposted from car park. I aim to go over for the Stone Curlews at Weetings Heath afterwards then onto Minsmere. Are the Purple Herons still there or have they moved on ?

had yet another try for nightjars last night i am fast becoming obsessed with trying to see one
last night tryed again at rendlesham forest having failed to spot one at dunwich last friday despite hearing several
last nights effort was just as frustrating as darkness fell i could hear at least 4 different birds calling but once again i didn't get a glimpse of one flying
oh well just have to keep trying
cheers

had yet another try for nightjars last night i am fast becoming obsessed with trying to see one
last night tryed again at rendlesham forest having failed to spot one at dunwich last friday despite hearing several
last nights effort was just as frustrating as darkness fell i could hear at least 4 different birds calling but once again i didn't get a glimpse of one flying
oh well just have to keep trying
cheers

Hiya Paul

I too tried for nightjar at Dunwich about a fortnight ago but didn't see any. The birds called very briefly (for about five minutes) and then shut-up for the night. However, I returned again last evening and got great views of at least five birds in very good light conditions (think it was about 9.15pm). In these conditions the plumage colouring etc could be noted in some detail. They were also calling much more frequently. Best of luck on your future attempts

Nice views at Lakenheath today about 11:30 of the Cranes, a Hobby hunting over the reeds and a Marsh Harrier from the crane watchpoint at the end. The Cranes flew up from near the corrugated iron building in the distance, did a lazy circuit and dropped down into the reeds, giving nice but distant views. A couple of the guys there said the cranes had done this at pretty much the same tiem yesterday.

nice but brief view of a barn owl tonight about half a mile from home
plus some huge flying insects which i think may have been female stag beetles would it be likely to see them flying it was just before dark if not anyone got any idea what else they might have been
cheers

nice but brief view of a barn owl tonight about half a mile from home
plus some huge flying insects which i think may have been female stag beetles would it be likely to see them flying it was just before dark if not anyone got any idea what else they might have been
cheers

Quite possibly male or female Stag Beetle - I found a dead one recently. Could also could be a 'billywitch' I saw my first of the year last night when I had to release it into the garden after it had flown into the house.

Gi

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back