• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crested Tits (1 Viewer)

malgos

Hi
I want to try and photograph Crested Tits and have been told that the car park at Loch Garten is quite a good spot. Is this so and can anyone reccomend other or better site.
Many thanks
malcolm

You might also want to try Loch an Eilean. I think they often have feeders there that attract Crested Tits. The surrounding forest is good too.

LGRSPB Centre car park is OK and if the Cresties are visiting feeders it can be excellent, but I find that the Loch Mallachie track (car park back towards Boat of Garten, just where the road leaves the side of Loch Garten) is often better and the birds are less manic in the natural habitat rather than near feeders.

John

We have seen them at Loch Morlich on most of the visits. If you park in the car park just of the road that leads up to the Cairngorms and then walk along the paths towards the beginning of the Loch we have came across them here.

Last edited:
What sort of shots are you after? Seeing Cresties and getting a shot of one in a more natural habitat are two different things.

If you just want a photo then the feeding stations at LG, Loch an Eileen and Boat of Garden will give you results. If you want one in a more natural environment that can take more time and effort. I have set up a feeding station in woodland for this purpose as have some other landowners and photographers. These can be hired often at short notice.

Having said that. I have always found that Culbin Forest (and the Malachie loop mentioned above) give enough opportunity to get a natural shot and wont cost you a penny.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back