• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon R1/C1? (1 Viewer)

gergrd

GREG
I recently purchased a Nikon R1/C1 macro flash system to use with a new Nikon 200mm macro lens. When it arrived from Amazon, I thought that either Amazon made a mistake and shipped me a big camera / lens or maybe I mistakenly ordered ten flashes instead of one - the box was enormous and heavy. When I opened the box, I found that the R1/C1 comes in a huge custom case with a bevy of adapters, filters, diffusers, sub-cases, etc. Really amazing (and I would guess some accountant does not like this product - it has to be costly to produce). I already had the Canon semi-equivalent (MT-24EX) and it comes in an unobtrusive box not much larger than any other external flash. I might need to add a room on to my house just to store the R1/C1 case;). I will soon try to assemble the monster and see if it works or helps my macro shots. I don't know that I ever read a review of the R1/C1 which pointed out the amazing case, but it's kind of weird and kind of fun.

I think there's an amusing training video on the Nikon website somewhere about this combo, inc. opening the large box! I suppose it works really well as a system as long as you figure out how to use it and get the best out of it. I have never used one, just relying on a diffused off-camera speedlight; I guess the flexibility with the R1C1 is the thing, but the learning curve with how to make the most of the lighting options it provides may be quite big.

After the fact, I looked at a Luminous Landscape video review of the R1/C1 which might have given me pause. I also looked at another review by a brilliant macro photographer who has tried a wide variety of cameras, lenses and light sources. He had some good and some bad things to say about this rig. I'll see how it goes and if I get anything decent from it, I'll post it here.

The irony is that, to my eye, the R1C1 setup works better with a short macro, like the 60mm, because you can get a much wider light distribution, and I think a more pleasing result. With a long lens, like a 200 or even a 300mm, you end up with a more clinical, paparazzi type image. It's a fairly comprehensive tool kit, and you can get some really great results, but you have to not mind looking like a CSI wannabe dweeb.

CSI Wannabe Dweeb

The irony is that, to my eye, the R1C1 setup works better with a short macro, like the 60mm, because you can get a much wider light distribution, and I think a more pleasing result. With a long lens, like a 200 or even a 300mm, you end up with a more clinical, paparazzi type image. It's a fairly comprehensive tool kit, and you can get some really great results, but you have to not mind looking like a CSI wannabe dweeb.

My goal in life has always been to look like a CSI wannabe dweeb, so the R1C1 is perfect. Seriously, I find the lighting the biggest challenge to macro photography. Walking down the trail with a giant flash / magic arms / diffusers, etc is hard to do (and nerdy). However, the macro photographers that I admire the most do just that to get the best results.

My goal in life has always been to look like a CSI wannabe dweeb, so the R1C1 is perfect. Seriously, I find the lighting the biggest challenge to macro photography. Walking down the trail with a giant flash / magic arms / diffusers, etc is hard to do (and nerdy). However, the macro photographers that I admire the most do just that to get the best results.

Exactly! In my case, I look like a dweeb anyway, so the R1/C1 wouldn't make much difference. Please let us know how you get on with it, and post a couple of pics!

Regards,

Jim

I have th RC/R1 and use it with my Nikon 200mm Micro. Had some mixed results and agree that a shorter macro lens works better with it. Neil.

Greg my Canon buddies are rather jealous of the case and detail the Nikon kit offers. If you consider what the kit is, not just macro it's a very good deal and great value. Have used it with a 105 and up to 300 plus stuff in between. Just need to adjust the setting with longer focal lengths. Have added a 3rd head to even the spread of light and am currently trailing stofen diffusers. Find it works best when manually setting output power on all 3 rather than rely on i-ttl
Only downside is batteries but being wireless I can remove the heads for improved lighting possibilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back