• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Images of Lesvos May 2013 (1 Viewer)

Damn you Mick !!!!! I was so impressed by your report I have just blown a few quid and booked a last minute departure on 30th April from Manchester. At only £395 for flights and apartment and £136 ( including excess insurance) for a VW Polo it just seemed like a bargain for 2 people. It's a treat for my other half and compensation for the fact I'm off birding to Bulgaria for a week 10 days after I get back.
Now I need to start researching and quickly I think. Staying in the north of the island and I'll be happy with whatever I can find. Looking forward to reporting back in due course !

Damn you Mick !!!!! I was so impressed by your report I have just blown a few quid and booked a last minute departure on 30th April from Manchester..........
Now I need to start researching and quickly I think. Staying in the north of the island and I'll be happy with whatever I can find. Looking forward to reporting back in due course !
Steve Dudley's Lesvos Birdwatching Guide is available here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birdwatchin...r=8-1&keywords=a+birdwatching+guide+to+lesvos

Nice to know that it has inspired someone, thanks Dave.
If you haven't done so already, get Steve Dudley's book, it is worth it for the maps alone, especially if you don't have any time to waste.
There'll also be plenty of folks around to advise you.
As Phil says above, if you are on Facebook, just type in the Facebook browser
"Lesvos Birders",for daily sightings as they happen.
Migration is definitely stepping up with three Caspian Terns being reported
at Skala Kalloni Salt Pans today.
Unfortunately for us the Manchester April flight was only introduced after we'd booked last year.
Here's some additional information on sites, including photos below.
1) Metochi ( formerly known as the "inland", ) Lake
Metochi lake - two main concerns here, finding it for the first timer and parking as it can get busy sometimes. See here for Steven Wytema's excellent directions for anyone who needs to find it:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152863403842565&set=p.10152863403842565&type=1&theater
Note:I think that the Facebook link only works when in Facebook.
2)also Metochi Lake: the night heron roost is visible in the distance
3)Perasma Reservoir also known as Petra Reservoir
Good access and reasonable parking, lying only a couple of K from Molivos
4)Platania Track - the popular Olive tree warbler site is very difficult to access in a small family car. The track can be walked, take water and refer to Steve Dudley's Guide book!
5) Polichnitos Salt Pans beach - best walked IMOP

Here's hoping for more rain and a good migration on Lesvos.

Attachments

• A Metochi Lake viewed from Filia 160513 LQ.jpg
    A Metochi Lake viewed from Filia 160513 LQ.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 34
  • A Metochi Inland Lake Lesvos 100513 LQ.jpg
    A Metochi Inland Lake Lesvos 100513 LQ.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 44
  • A Perasma - Petra Reservoir Lesvos May 2013 LQ.jpg
    A Perasma - Petra Reservoir Lesvos May 2013 LQ.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 43
  • A Platania track 050513 LQ.jpg
    A Platania track 050513 LQ.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 46
  • a Salt Pans beach 110513 LQ.jpg
    a Salt Pans beach 110513 LQ.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 37
Anyone travelling this year to Lesvos may find the following info usefull:
Greek National Holidays 2014 - Birders travelling this weekend should be aware that next weekend marks the National Holidays for the Greek Orthodox Easter celebrations. Many filling stations and supermarkets may be closed for the holidays 18 - 21 April. Those Tavernas open this early in the season may also be busy with families out for the celebrations.Families may also be out for picnics at sites like Achladeri, if the weather is good.
The same also applies to May Day bank holiday 1 May.

Anyone travelling this year to Lesvos may find the following info usefull:
Greek National Holidays 2014 - Birders travelling this weekend should be aware that next weekend marks the National Holidays for the Greek Orthodox Easter celebrations. Many filling stations and supermarkets may be closed for the holidays 18 - 21 April. Those Tavernas open this early in the season may also be busy with families out for the celebrations.Families may also be out for picnics at sites like Achladeri, if the weather is good.
The same also applies to May Day bank holiday 1 May.

Good tip re the filling stations Mick. May 1st is our first full day so I'll make sure I have a full tank after arriving.

I have joined the Facebook page and ordered my Steve Dudley definitive guide book. Really looking forward to the trip now, and best of all, so is my other half !
cheers Dave

Lesvos 2014

Good tip re the filling stations Mick. May 1st is our first full day so I'll make sure I have a full tank after arriving.

I have joined the Facebook page and ordered my Steve Dudley definitive guide book. Really looking forward to the trip now, and best of all, so is my other half !
cheers Dave

On Labour Day Bank Holiday 1st May, The Achladeri Krüper's Nuthatch site is a prime picnic site for Lesvosian families out to enjoy the spring sunshine.
I would definitely avoid it on the 1St May, though it seldom seems to interfere with these lovely little breeding birds.

Attachments

• A LQ Achladeri kruppers site 070510.jpg
    A LQ Achladeri kruppers site 070510.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 44
  • A1 LQ Krüper's Nuthatch Sitta krueperi birders at Achladeri 100513.jpg
    A1 LQ Krüper's Nuthatch Sitta krueperi birders at Achladeri 100513.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 41
  • alq Krüper's Nuthatch (Sitta krueperi) 1 Achladeri Lesvos  100513.jpg
    alq Krüper's Nuthatch (Sitta krueperi) 1 Achladeri Lesvos 100513.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 28
  • LQ Nuthatch Krüper's Nuthatch Sitta krueperi 2 Achladeri  100513.jpg
    LQ Nuthatch Krüper's Nuthatch Sitta krueperi 2 Achladeri 100513.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 29
The Steve Dudley guide arrived today, what an excellent book it is.Thanks for the recommendation.
It's a good book. The only thing bad about it is that the maps/directions can be misleading. I got lost following the directions on occasion. He could do with putting GPS co-ordinates on the bird sites.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back