• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WT eagles, Skye (1 Viewer)

Amarillo

Hi,

Am spending the first week of April on Skye. Am interested in seeing and hopefully even photographing white tailed eagles. Obviously there is a chance anywhere on the island, but I've seen there are boat trips from Portree. Are these recommended?

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Amarillo
We did the boat trip from Portree and had excellent views of the WTE.
This was end of May 3 yrs ago.
Another good value for money trip was the Outer isles Ferry from Mallaig, bookable from Skye ferry terminal.

Hi,

Am spending the first week of April on Skye. Am interested in seeing and hopefully even photographing white tailed eagles. Obviously there is a chance anywhere on the island, but I've seen there are boat trips from Portree. Are these recommended?

Any tips greatly appreciated!

We did the boat trip from Portree in October 2012 and it was worth every penny. Great views of two eagles - also more distant views of one. But I need to do that trip again as i was concentrating on getting a photo, thus missing some of the action as the bird approached the water in front of us. I can't be a photographer AND a birdwatcher I'm afraid. And the birds win hands down.

Do have fish & chips from the shop on the quay when you arrive back - best in the UK IMHO.

Sandra

Thanks! From a bit of google research, the Brigadoon seems highly recommended

Can't wait, just praying for good weather!

Not sure whether we went on a particularly bad day but we were bitterly disappointed with the boat trip out of Portree when we were on SKye in 2011. Had no close views of the eagles at all.

Not sure where you're going to be based, but there is also Dive & Sea The Hebrides operating out of Stein on the northwest tip of Skye. Can highly recommend Gordon Mackay & his trips.

Richard

IIRC there are two vessels running Portree harbour, Brigadoon and MV Stardust. I've been on the latter and had good views of WTE. As has been asked, what's your location to be on Skye? Staying in/around Portree or elsewhere? Will you have own transport or rely on public (which we have very little of up here to be honest, it's workable but needs planning!)?
Have seen both Eagles as I have travelled along the Elgol road. Blue shed cafe a good stop for watching for Goldies...and having a cuppa:).

Have watched 3 or 4 WTE when I parked up by the museum of island life up Kilmuir way (A87 to Uig then the A855 North Kilmuir/Kilvaxter).

Stop and have a look over Broadford bay on your way past. Always good for waders.

Have fun!

Not sure whether we went on a particularly bad day but we were bitterly disappointed with the boat trip out of Portree when we were on SKye in 2011. Had no close views of the eagles at all.

Well at least it sounds like you had a view of one. We drew a complete blank! Disappointing when some of the adverts claim 99% of trips have sightings. Boat trip still worthwhile though with a close up of a great northern diver and other sea birds

In a week on Skye I finally had a distant view of a sea eagle on my last day. Odd that a bird that size can be hard to find. In contrast I saw golden eagles on almost every day. It actually reached a point where it was disappointing when a large bird turned out to be "only" a golden eagle!

fantastic week though, sun and blue skies every day as well!

Shame about the WTE.
Glad you enjoyed your visit "up my way":)
The weather has been glorious for weeks and weeks. Still is pretty damned good.
Hope you come back up here again sometime.
Rgds
RichC

I do a lot of birding on Skye, and the general Applecross/Wester Ross area and in all the years I've been doing it I've only encountered a handful of other birders. Indeed when I was up there last August I didn't see another birder all week.

Next time you're up there pop into the Aros centre on the left hand side just before you get into Portree. There's an eagle exhibition in there and the man who runs it is very knowledgable on the best places to see the eagles on the island.

Also log onto www.skye-birds.com which tells you whats about and good places where to watch.

And try and get hold of a copy of Gordon Hamlett's book Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands, which has a chapter on Skye.

I'll be back up there on 30th May incidentally :t:

I've got Gordon Hamletts book and I also popped in for a look in the Aros centre and a chat with the guy there. He gave me some pointers but theres still a fair bit of luck involved. I think most would say the Portree boat trips are the best chance of seeing WTE, wouldn't you agree? The guy on the boat said the eagles have moved away from Portree bay - although this had only happened in the last few days so they may be back now.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back