• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help save the sea eagles and golden eagles of scotland (1 Viewer)

this is a serious threat to the birds if you dont wish to see these birds killed please sign if it is allowed to happen here ,there will be no where safe for these birds to fly
the rspb know the situation and are trying to help but there hands are tied

There is a comprehensive thread on the Lewis/Sky windfarms & PROACT petition, under " Conservation & Ethics"
Please don't start another thread here.
The news today on Lewis is bad.
Colin

Scottish Eagles – Appeal To The European Commission

Today at 13.05 CET* I physically posted a appeal/petition with 1320 signatures to:

Mr. Julio Garcia Burgues, Head of Infringements at the EC Directorate General for the Environment

This addressee was chosen on the advice of the Head of the Directorate for Protecting the Natural Environment in reply to previous representations on this matter.

In the letter I have avoided the term “extirpation” (OED – eradication, making extinct) and have used the formulation “populations of the rare White-tailed Eagle, and the emblematic Golden Eagle, are under threat in Scotland” instead. The EC and others have made clear that the former term cannot be supported.

The Scottish wind energy campaign has been a rough ride, not least for me personally. I have made it clear on a number of occasions (as posted on the Proact site at http://www.proact-campaigns.net/windfarmsandbirds/index.html ) that Proact (and myself personally) are not opposed to wind energy per se. That is another argument which can be conducted on a different and higher plane. We will however continue to oppose the inappropriate development of wind farms in and near bird habitats where breeding and the natural life cycle of significant numbers of birds could be adversely affected.

I think the time is ripe for conservationists to tackle this problem at the key level of governmental (and European) energy policy. Perhaps readers might care to consider this a little more closely. Rising energy consumption and the lemming-like consumer demand for vehicles and appliances which demand even more energy (inter alia the dreaded SUV spread) do not augur well for the future. This is way outside the Proact charter; but nevertheless something with which all those involved or interested in nature conservation should concern themselves.

Thank you all for your support,

David
--
David Conlin, Proact

*I have been visiting my aged and sick mother in Cyprus so was unable to respond before in the past 18 days.

David said:
Today at 13.05 CET* I physically posted a appeal/petition with 1320 signatures to:

Mr. Julio Garcia Burgues, Head of Infringements at the EC Directorate General for the Environment

This addressee was chosen on the advice of the Head of the Directorate for Protecting the Natural Environment in reply to previous representations on this matter.

In the letter I have avoided the term “extirpation” (OED – eradication, making extinct) and have used the formulation “populations of the rare White-tailed Eagle, and the emblematic Golden Eagle, are under threat in Scotland” instead. The EC and others have made clear that the former term cannot be supported.

The Scottish wind energy campaign has been a rough ride, not least for me personally. I have made it clear on a number of occasions (as posted on the Proact site at http://www.proact-campaigns.net/windfarmsandbirds/index.html ) that Proact (and myself personally) are not opposed to wind energy per se. That is another argument which can be conducted on a different and higher plane. We will however continue to oppose the inappropriate development of wind farms in and near bird habitats where breeding and the natural life cycle of significant numbers of birds could be adversely affected.

I think the time is ripe for conservationists to tackle this problem at the key level of governmental (and European) energy policy. Perhaps readers might care to consider this a little more closely. Rising energy consumption and the lemming-like consumer demand for vehicles and appliances which demand even more energy (inter alia the dreaded SUV spread) do not augur well for the future. This is way outside the Proact charter; but nevertheless something with which all those involved or interested in nature conservation should concern themselves.

Thank you all for your support,

David
--
David Conlin, Proact

*I have been visiting my aged and sick mother in Cyprus so was unable to respond before in the past 18 days.

Signed on the original time round but think to another thread where the government (UK) proposed mileage tariffs for road transport. Ford, Honda, Vauxhall and no doubt most of the other major car manufacturers all have the technology to to introduce fuel cell (hydrogen) as the fuel in cars. It is clean and from what I read it gives better performance in mileage terms

Wouldn't it make sense to legislate that in (say) five years time all new cars must be driven by that method eradicating reliance and massive import costs of oil. Remember such legislation for unleaded petrol and then for catalytic converters. By introducing pay per mile as a replacement source of income from fuel duty (hope not as expensive as suggested) the government also no longer requireds oil as a source of income. it is the perfect moment to have such technology on the roads. With the greatest atmospheric pollutants out of the way their will not be a need for giant windmills and - surely - everyone will be happy

What do you think?

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back