• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Battery (canon 10x30is) (1 Viewer)

galaxym

What type of battery do you use? i tried 1.2V rechargeable NIMH battery and the lifetime is not very good in comparasion to 1.5V battery (i think voltage is important). I found on the market 1.6V Nickel Zinc battery, which should be good. But i found that it is 1.8V when fully charged (1.6V is nominal). Does not it hurt the binocular? What do you think?

What type of battery do you use? i tried 1.2V rechargeable NIMH battery and the lifetime is not very good in comparasion to 1.5V battery (i think voltage is important). I found on the market 1.6V Nickel Zinc battery, which should be good. But i found that it is 1.8V when fully charged (1.6V is nominal). Does not it hurt the binocular? What do you think?
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Lit...id=1361624027&sr=8-1&keywords=lithium+batt+aa

http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-Pre-C...&qid=1361624173&sr=8-38&keywords=aa+batteries

The Lithiums are lighter but the rechargeables will save you money in the long run.

The AA specification seems to leave considerable leeway, so I think NiZn would be fine.
I've found the lithium batteries very good, they last a long time and store without leaking as easily as the alkalines.
Some people have had good luck with rechargeables and the Sanyo Eneloop series seems to be the best, but my experience with other brands has been poor, so I stick with disposables.

Rechargeables are good with the Canons providing you have ones that don't lose their charge during storage. That is why the Eneloops get the top recommendations. I have been using Eneloops, which are reliable and work well, Energizers, which I could never know for sure if they had charge left or not unless I had charged them the previous day, and Varta, which worked well when new but started loosing charge and become unreliable after a while. Now, I mostly use lithium disposables, but often have a pair of Eneloops along as spares. The 10x42 does not eat up batteries much although I use the stabilization almost all the time when I view. Cheapo disposables have also sometimes failed to work well, so it seems that there is a minimum voltage or current level the Canons need to work well, but I don't know for sure what that is. I have tested the voltage of some of the rechargeables I have used, and when full they range between 1.2-1.3 volts usually.

Kimmo

Thanks for advices. I found discharge graphics of Eneloops (which is quite good) and i think it's the best choice of NiMh.

Sanyo has been gradually improving their chemistry, so you need to look closely at the specifics of what you are buying. There could be a factor of 2 difference between two AA Sanyo Eneloops. Eneloops now come in a range of capacities, from about 1200 to 2400 milliamp hours.

Sanyo has been gradually improving their chemistry, so you need to look closely at the specifics of what you are buying. There could be a factor of 2 difference between two AA Sanyo Eneloops. Eneloops now come in a range of capacities, from about 1200 to 2400 milliamp hours.

I've still got my original Eneloops which I got immediately after they were introduced. They are still totally reliable and lost almost no capacity, even though I've used them quite extensively. They are 1800 mAh, according to my charger they're still at just below that capacity.

BTW, I've got a set I bought and charged right after the Eneloops were introduced. I then left them in a cupboard and checked their capacity after more than two years. They were still well over 70 percent of their capacity after that period of time ... Not bad at all.

Hermann

Some people have had good luck with rechargeables and the Sanyo Eneloop series seems to be the best, but my experience with other brands has been poor, so I stick with disposables.

When the Eneloops came onto the market, they were the *first* NiMH rechargeables that really worked and were totally reliable. Nowadays there are a few other brands on the market that come close, but I still stick to the Eneloops. My oldest sets have been charged well over 500 times and are still very close to the specified capacity. They also work extremely well in high-power flashlights that draw *lots* of current.

Highly recommended.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back