• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 15 or 18X50 IS improvements? (1 Viewer)

DRodrigues

Would like to know if any recent owner (less than 2 years..), of one of these models compared it to older units (or vice-versa), and saw any difference in performance?

Coatings improved along the years but electronics improved much more. I'm curious to know if Canon did any improvements on the IS system along the years of these models...

I made this question here because I wasn't getting any reply at Cloudy Nights where I posted the same question some days before. Meanwhile I got some replies http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/499736-canon-15-or-18x50-is-improvements/ and I reached the conclusion that the advise that Kimmo gave me was good - when I will purchase a 18x50 it will be a new one since updates might have been introduced but, specially, I can return it and ask for a new sample if the one I got isn't good... ;)
If some time ago I was thinking of giving a try to a Nikon Monarch 20x56 to see if my bino resighting performance (www.pt-ducks.com) would improve - I use a "old" Swaro 15x56 - after testing Kimmo's 10x42 and become convinced of the IS advantages and performance, I prefer to give a try to the Canon 18x50, although spending the double of money...

Well, I've had my 15x for over 12 yrs now and it still works flawlessly. Haven't tried a later model, but if Canon is ripe for improvement SUGGESTIONS, I have a couple, to wit: less stiction on the rt eyepiece (sometimes a bugger to make minute adjustments), and: eyecups that don't snap your forehead or eyelids if down and they happen to pop up. Also, not sure if the old problem of the "rolling wave" effect when IS is on is still present if you're not rock steady. That may not be fixable without a Zeiss-type gyro, which would likely lead to increased wt & bulk. But....just ideas.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back