• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

abandoned nest (1 Viewer)

cazh

I posted last week re blue tits leaving nest after laying. I dont think the birds will return now but I would like to attract another pair. Is this likely? should I remove the nest and eggs already in there?
Any advice would be great thanks

If you're sure the nest is abandoned then the best thing to do would be to clear out the eggs and nest material. It's still possible for a pair to have a go though it's getting a little late. Having said that I came across Linnet, Tree Sparrow and Yellowhammer all still nest building today.

I wouldn't remove it yet. Blue Tits can be very funny, and some will have a break of weeks between laying and incubating. So there is still a slim chance. But that chance is probably greater than another pair moving in, as virtually all blue tits have begun breeding now. Some have almost finished. So virtually no birds will be looking for a new home now.

I'd clean it out in a month or two, as per usual. You've probably just got a blank year. Technically, it would also be illegal to remove the nest, as you can't be sure the nest is abandoned yet. You can only be 100% sure in a month.

Ok thanks for that.
I'll keep watching. Something keeps going in there, but the female was in there most of the time until 12th May and then she disappeared. The camera has shown that something has been in but all I have seen is a blue tit on the outside "shouting" into the hole. I assumed this was the male calling the female?
All very interesting.
My cousin removed her nest last year once babies flew and a sparrow then nested in there, so I was hoping for something like that?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back