• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China Birds (Nick Sismey) 2011 List (UK, China, Hong Kong & ?) (2 Viewers)

02 June 2011

Waking up to a cloudy sky and a cool wind we decided to drive to the North East coast to see if we could find some better weather. As we ascended the very steep climb out of Funchal we passed through the clouds into glorious sunshine giving wonderful views of the deep gorges and rugged mountains. Unfortunately we soon descended into cloud again as we approached Riberio Frio. There I made a quick dash along the trail through the laurel forest (Photos 1&2) to the vantage point at Balcoes where I had five minutes or so to find the endemic Trocaz Pigeon. Just before a large party of tourists turned up (Photo 3) I spotted one bird flying across the valley into a tree before disappearing into the next ravine. Another very quick lifer!

362.Trocaz Pigeon------------------Balcoes------------------Madeira

The road to the North East was extremely twisty and steep and when we arrived at Santana, home of the thatched cottages the weather really hadn’t changed. We therefore took the quick route to Funchal for lunch.

Towards the end of the afternoon the clouds finally broke and within 30 minutes there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. While Suzy caught some sun back at the apartment I returned to Ponta de Sao Lourenco in the East of Madeira where in Canical (Photo 4) I was stopped by the chirping of sparrows which turned out to be another lifer, Spanish Sparrows (Photo 5).

363.Spanish Sparrow-----------------Canical-----------------Madeira

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    344.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 49
04 June 2011

This evening we made a quick stop at Lagoa do Lugar de Baixo after spending the afternoon in Riberia Brava on the South coast of the island. Here lies the only saline lake (Photo1) in the whole of the Madeiran archipelago (Reference: ”Where to watch birds in the Madeira archipelago” Claudia Delgado which has helped with all of the birding sites during this holiday) which is virtually the only place where you can find both Coot (Photo 2) and Moorehen.

In addition to these two birds a sleeping Bar Tailed Godwit (Photo 3) woke for a split second (Photo 4) before resuming its slumber leaving the Madeira list at 27.

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 45
05 June 2011

Our final afternoon in Madeira took us up to the third highest peak on the island, Pico do Areeiro, at 1,810m. Unfortunately (or fortunately for Suzy) the cloud cover meant we couldn’t see any of the steep ravines dropping away from the side of the road!

At the top we couldn’t see more than 100 metres through the clouds so soon set off back to Funchal. After a mile or so, having broken through the clouds, we stopped near some scrubland (Photo1) as it looked like an ideal place for another lifer.

As soon as I left the car I heard a new bird call, one that I hadn’t heard before. Within a few seconds I locked onto a Spectacled Warbler calling from a bush. However the bird was extremely wary and even creeping towards it behind another tall bush the bird was gone before I could take a single shot….

364.Spectacled Warbler------------Pico do Areeiro------------Madeira

This leaves the Madeira list at 28

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 44
15 June 2011

My 1125 hours BA (Photo1) flight from Heathrow had me in Dallas for 1500 hours . It was nearly two hours before I escaped the airport and arrived at my hotel (Photo 2) but on the way Great Tailed Grackles (Photo 3) were in good numbers around the airport. European Starlings were also in abundance

365.Great Tailed Grackle-----------------Fort Worth------------------USA

Once in my room I called up Barbara, one of the local birders who had kindly agreed to take me birding while I was in Dallas. She advised me what birds I should see if I walked around the hotel parking lot that evening.

After dinner I had about an hour of daylight left so wondered outside. It was still blisteringly hot but the birds didn’t seem to mind. Western Kingbirds (Photo 4 - my first lifer of the trip) were everywhere while Mourning Doves frequented the telegraph wires (Photo 5)

366.Western Kingbird-----------------Grapevine-------------------USA
367.Mourning Dove----------------------Grapevine-------------------USA

More to follow……

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
15 June 2011 (Continued…..)

A Northern Cardinal (Photo1) startled me as it flew into a tree, its bright red plumage in direct contrast to the green foliage.

368.Northern Cardinal--------------------Grapevine---------------------USA

The road next to the hotel ran along some disused land owned by the airport authorities. A wonderfully graceful Scissor Tailed Flycatcher (Photo 2) drifted across the scrubland, my second lifer of the evening.

369.Scissor Tailed Flycatcher---------Grapevine------------------USA

Walking back to the hotel a Northern Mockingbird alighted on top of one of the courtesy parking signs, which meant I saw all of the birds Barbara said I would see!

370.Northern Mockingbird----------------Grapevine---------------------USA

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 35
16 June 2011

Waking up to a new day looking out over Lake Grapevine (Photo1) both Great Blue Heron’s and Great Egret (Photo 2 – taken from hotel window) were moving out to their feeding areas.

371.Great Blue Heron------------------Grapevine----------------------USA

That evening another walk around the parking lot produced a House Finch (Photo 3)

372.House Finch----------------------Grapevine----------------------USA

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 42
17 June 2011

With the training course I was giving finishing at lunch time I met up with Barbara, a local birder, at 1215 for an afternoon and evening of very hot (the mercury was pushing up towards the 100 degree mark) birding. “We don’t normally bird this time of year” explained Barbara. I could see why but it was an opportunity I couldn’t miss and Barbara was kind enough to provide both the transport (by way of her husband’s car as it was “bigger and more reliable, with better air conditioning” than her own) and expertise.

Before we left the parking lot Barbara had me a lifer, a Swainson’s Hawk circling overhead, with Cliff Swallows congregating at every bridge.

373.Swainson’s Hawk------------------Grapevine----------------USA
374.Cliff Swallow-------------------------Grapevine----------------USA

After picking up a drive through sandwich a Red Winged Blackbird (Photo1) flew across in front of us, while Collared Doves, Rock (Feral) Pigeons and House Sparrow all added to my USA year list.

375.Red Winged Blackbird-----------------Grapevine----------------USA

Just before we turned into “The Beds”, the nickname given to the Village Creek Drying Beds (sewage treatment facility) which consisted of a number of ponds ideal for birds, even in the summer, we picked up a Chimney Swift.

376.Chimney Swift------------------------Village Creek-------------USA

We stopped along the entrance road (Photo 2) to The Beds where a marsh area (Photo 3) was full of Yellow Crowned Night Herons (Photo 4), Snowy Egrets, Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons and Little Blue Herons (Photo 5)

377.Yellow Crowned Night Heron----------Village Creek-------------USA
378.Snowy Egret-------------------------Village Creek-------------USA
379.Little Blue Heron----------------------Village Creek-------------USA

More to follow……..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
17 June 2011 (Continued…)

Overhead a Black Vulture (Photo1) was soaring while Purple Martins (Swallows on steroids!) were feeding just above the trees, the latter a lifer.

380.Black Vulture------------------------Village Creek-------------------USA
381.Purple Martin----------------------Village Creek-----------------USA

Moving further into the site we came across the large ponds (Photo 2) where elegant Black Bellied Whistling Ducks (Photo 3) and Red Heads were feeding, both lifers. A couple of Blue Winged Teals were also taking an afternoon nap.

382.Black Bellied Whistling Duck-------Village Creek------------------USA
383.Red Head--------------------------Village Creek------------------USA

384.Blue Winged Teal--------------------Village Creek--------------------USA

Several Ruddy Ducks were dabbling while an American Coot (Photo 4) was doing the same as its Euro/Asia cousin feeding along the margins. Killdeer (Photo 5) were everywhere once you started to pick them out against their similar coloured background.

385.American Coot-----------------------Village Creek-------------------USA
386.Killdeer------------------------------Village Creek-------------------USA

More to follow……..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 45

We didn’t spend too long out, exposed to the heat, Barbara had the car’s air conditioning on full blast, and even though we had the windows down as we moved along the edges of the ponds it made a great deal of difference compared to walking any distance in the intense heat; even the wind was hot!

Two lifers would follow next. Black Necked Stilts (Photo1) were managing the heat much better than us, I have never drunk so much water in my life and I have birded in some hot places. A White Faced Ibis (Photo 2) was sleeping through the heat. It had a while to sleep as in this part of Texas the hottest part of the day is 5pm; marvellous!

387.Black Necked Stilt----------------Village Creek---------------USA
388.White Faced Ibis-----------------Village Creek---------------USA

A White Ibis (Photo 3) was also taking on the heat as were a pair of Wood Duck although at least the latter, a lifer, had the coolness of the water to take away some of the temperature.

389.White Ibis-------------------------Village Creek-----------------USA
390.Wood Duck----------------------Village Creek----------------USA

Our final tour of the facility produced American Crow, Cattle Egret and Brown Headed Cowbird, which I hadn’t realised was a lifer until I checked my records.

391.American Crow----------------------Village Creek---------------USA
392.Brown Headed Cowbird-----------Village Creek--------------USA

We then headed off to River Legacy Park (Photo 4) in Arlington with the windows tightly shut and the air con providing a respite from the oven outside. Barbara had brought nearly two gallons of iced water with her, by now there was no ice left and we were getting through the water at an alarming rate. Over the car park a Turkey Vulture (Photo 5) was dipping its wings in its characteristic flight pattern

393.Turkey Vulture---------------------Arlington--------------------USA

More to follow……..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

While I was writing up the vulture sighting Barbara heard a Painted Bunting (Photo1) calling. It was not long before the bird showed well enough to get some shots, what a vibrant lifer, one that certainly matches its name!

394.Painted Bunting------------------Arlington-------------------USA

Before I had time to appreciate just what I had seen the Carolina’s provided the name for the next two day birds with a Carolina Chickadee (Photo 2) and a Carolina Wren (Photo 3) feeding in a nearby tree.

395.Carolina Chickadee---------------Arlington-----------------------USA
396.Carolina Wren--------------------Arlington-----------------------USA

Walking across the bouncing steel bridge over one of the Trinity tributaries an Eastern Phoebe was catching flies below us while a Tufted Titmouse was noisily moving through the trees at the edge of the forest.

397.Eastern Phoebe-------------------Arlington----------------------USA
398.Tufted Titmouse------------------Arlington----------------------USA

Just inside the forest a Red Bellied Woodpecker (Photo 5) flew onto a tree right near us, giving us excellent views for a good while. The same could not be said for my 400th year bird, another lifer, a Great Crested Flycatcher. Barbara indentified it first from its call high up in the trees and then with her keen eye sight she was the first to spot the bird, with its back to us, up on one of the highest limbs.

399.Red Bellied Woodpecker-------------Arlington---------------------USA
400.Great Crested Flycatcher---------Arlington--------------------USA

Walking along the path as we dodged the-would-be Tour de France cyclists we picked up Blue Jay and White Eyed Vireo, the latter being yet another lifer.

401.Blue Jay---------------------------Arlington---------------------USA
402.White Eyed Vireo----------------Arlington---------------------USA

Leaving the park we had an all too brief view of a mystic Mississippi Kite, taking my life ticks for the day to 12.

403.Mississippi Kite------------------Arlington---------------------USA

I then had the great pleasure of visiting Barbara’s garden Photo (5) in the suburbs of Colleyville where she would introduce me to yet more lifers as well as her very kind and understanding husband…….

More to follow……..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

The first lifer was a Red Shouldered Hawk that flew over Barbara’s garden, the second a pair of Eastern Bluebirds (Photo1) that were nesting in a purpose built box.

404.Red Shouldered Hawk----------------Colleyville--------------USA
405.Eastern Bluebird----------------------Colleyville--------------USA

On one of her feeders a pair of Downey Woodpeckers (Photo 2) were making the nuts their own. Barbara was also keen to show me a White Winged Dove, so much so she had contacted a birding friend who normally has the birds in her garden, while we had been on the way to Barbara’s. The bad news was they had vacated this ladies garden, the good news that this lifer appeared over the roof of Barbara’s house and perched in a tree.

406.Downey Woodpecker-------------------Colleyville----------------USA
407.White Winged Dove------------------Colleyville---------------USA

Suddenly a minute bird flew passed us and headed out of the garden towards the pasture behind, a humming bird. Barbara brought us two chairs and we waited near the flowering plant favoured by hummers. The chairs had barely begun to warm up before a female Black Chinned Hummingbird (Photo 3), a lifer, flew up into the tree above us. Hummers have to be one of my favourite birds, aren’t they everyone’s?

408.Black Chinned Hummingbird----------Colleyville---------------USA

By now it was nearly 6pm but Barbara wasn’t done yet. She was determined to provide me with the best possible Texas (although she originates from Mississippi) hospitality and find as many birds as possible. Next stop was Colleyville Nature Centre at Mill Creek a wooded park close to her house. Mississippi Kite were known to roost there atop a dead tree as in the grassland below the tree there were many dragonflies, their preferred diet. To Barbara’s dismay there were no kites but as soon as we turned to leave one dived down and was gone as quickly as it arrived. I started to joke with Barbara that this wasn’t in the terms of the contract! I needed to be able to see the birds long enough to be able to photograph them, particularly one as striking as a Mississippi Kite. Barbara treated the comment with the contempt it deserved with a twinkle in her eye and we moved on yet again.

By the time we arrived at our final destination of the evening Trophy Club Park on the shores of Lake Grapevine I had totally miscounted how many lifers we had seen during the afternoon. I had it down at 22 as apposed to the actual figure of 16 (I hadn’t realised just what I had seen in Florida 25 years ago) and therefore told Barbara that according to the small print we had to see 25 lifers that afternoon. “No problem” she exclaimed, “We can do that comfortably here”, the twinkle remained.

After spraying for Chiggers, mites that are so small you cannot see them but are prevalent this time of year and can give you a nasty rash all over your body, we entered the tall grass (Photo 4) where Barbara took me to what we thought was my 23rd lifer of the day an Indigo Bunting (Photo 5).

409.Indigo Bunting--------------------Trophy Club Park----------USA

With just over an hour of daylight still to go Barbara was still going strong as we walked further into the park…..

More to follow……..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thank you very much to the 5th birdforum member for ranking this thread, it is always very much appreciated

Barbara could hear Dickcissels (Photo1) calling all around us but it took several minutes before one became visible, flying up into a dead tree above us.

410.Dickcissel---------------------Trophy Club Park----------------USA

“One to go Barbara”, “No problem!” came the reply.

We wondered along the road looking for Turkey, but they weren’t in the mood to play.

We turned a corner just as the sun was setting (Photo 2), although the temperature was not subsiding. Barbara had previously seen a Greater Roadrunner (Photo 3) in this area and as if scripted there was one of the crazy birds walking off towards the trees. One of my top ten world birds, ever since I had seen my first in Phoenix over twenty years ago.

411.Greater Roadrunner-------------Trophy Club Park-------------------USA

I then advised Barbara that there was more small print in the contract I had forgotten to tell her about, “25 lifers or a Greater Roadrunner”. “Oh that’s OK then, I have succeeded!” she replied but still kept an eye out for Turkey on the way back to the car.

As we were in a remote location a local police control officer was waiting near Barbara’s car checking to see if everything was OK. Barbara assured him it was and thanked him for his concern, before we left for some Chinese at the Panda fast food chain which certainly filled a hole.

Barbara dropped me off just before 2200 hours after a fabulous afternoon all thanks to her wonderful hospitality, expert local area and birding knowledge. And we had another full day starting at 0515 the next day, where we would be joined by another birder Laura, my appetite having been well and truly wetted.

Things would not however go to plan the next day, and we would find ourselves in a very humbling situation towards the end of what would be the hottest day of the year to date. But that is another story yet to be told….

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Thank you very much to the 6th birdforum member for ranking this thread, as mentioned above it is always very much appreciated

18 June 2011

Laura had suggested we all meet up at 0530 hours in the lobby of my hotel this morning. Barbara had said she would be there for 0515 hours so I was already down by 0510 hours.

Barbara’s stated time came and went, as did Laura’s. By 0540 I was starting to worry when Barbara drew up, again in her husband’s car, something she didn’t need if Laura was driving!

“A change of plan!” exclaimed Barbara as she climbed out of the driver's seat, “Laura was taken ill late last night and so won’t be able to make it!”.

Barbara had had little sleep as all of a sudden from being a willing passenger on this trip she had now become the lead. I confirmed whether she was still OK to go. Typical of Barbara she very much was. She hadn’t birded in the target area of East Texas, about 2 hours from Grapevine, before but she had a map and was going to give it a shot! I was so thankful. Laura had been the first to respond to my request for support through Birdforum, Barbara subsequently replying to a request on a local forum from Laura for help on Friday. Now without Barbara the whole birding trip would have been in jeopardy.

With our thoughts with Laura we set off, passing through the centre of Dallas just as dawn was breaking. To add to Barbara’s problems many of the highways were shut but that did not deter her and she soon found her way.

Just over an hour into the road trip we stopped off at a Starbucks for sustenance before seeing the first year bird of the day a Green Heron flying across the road. I was torn whether or not to include it having already seen a Little Heron in China this year, but the Birdforum Opus indicates they are individual species so that was good enough for me.

412.Green Heron---------------------------Interstate 20---------------USA

As 0800 hours approached we arrived at Tyler State Park , home to the pine. After obtaining a permit from the lodge (Photo1), which had a rattle snake in a cage in reception (nice!), at the entrance to the park we drove in and parked up. Being a state park you couldn’t park anywhere other than in the designated parking areas.

The forest (Photo 2) wasn’t just pine but where there were pine there were some impressive trees. We walked down a mountain bike track and after only a short period of time a deep drumming sound could be heard through the trees. “Pileated Woodpecker” exclaimed Barbara; the hunt was on.

Another 5 minutes and one of the enormous woodpeckers flew over, the white flashes on the wings confirming its pedigree. Unfortunately we wouldn’t see another but a fine bird to add to one’s life list!

413.Pileated Woodpecker--------------Tyler State Park------------USA

Back on the road again a gorgeous Summer Tanager (Photo 3) was racing through the lower foliage, my second lifer within ten minutes, while a Red Eyed Vireo (Photo 4) was feeding higher up above us.

414.Summer Tanager------------------Tyler State Park------------USA
415.Red Eyed Vireo----------------------Tyler State Park-------------USA

Back in the car to another area of the forest a splendid Red Headed Woodpecker (Photo 5) landed on a tree stump near the car taking my life list to 941.

416.Red Headed Woodpecker----------Tyler State Park-----------USA

More to follow……..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 45
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 39
18 June 2011 (Continued….)

We had hoped for a Pine Warbler while deep in the park but no sign. Barbara had heard one near the entrance so we returned there. Sure enough Barbara soon found the bird (Photo1), high in one of the pines. We couldn’t get any closer to said tree because of the amount of Poison Ivy that covered the forest floor hence the poor quality photo of the lifer.

417.Pine Warbler-----------------Tyler State Park----------------USA

While there we got talking to one of the Park Rangers. He advised us about another park where birds were much easier to see as they were coming down to pools of water alongside the forest roads in the heat of the afternoon. Thanking him for his advice we were ready for some early lunch so drove to a local Bar-B-Q restaurant (Photo 2) recommended by Laura.

Outside the restaurant was a hummingbird feeder. Therefore once we had bought our food we sat down to eat, watching the feeder. Well actually I stood up to eat as there was a low wall between us and the feeder. Being lunch time the restaurant started to get busy, clients continually streaming in past the feeder. However during brief lulls in activity both male and female Ruby Throated Hummingbirds (Photo 3) visited the feeder.

418.Ruby Throated Hummingbird-----Tyler----------------------------USA

My strange antics of eating stood up with a camera in my hands drew the attention of a local family who we got talking to. They were intrigued about where I was from and wanted to know all about England and what I was in Texas for. They certainly made me feel right at home!

Having paid our $12 for the Texas Parks and Wildlife permit at the local Lindale Wal-Mart store we headed off to the Old Sabine Bottom Wildlife Management Area where the warden had recommended we go. On the way we stopped on the side of the road (Photo 4) as Barbara’s keen eye had seen a pair of Lark Sparrows (Photo 5). This lady was good, feared nothing and drove so confidently while still finding me lifers!

419.Lark Sparrow------------------Country Road 452---------------USA

More to follow……..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 43

After a bit of searching we found the WMA, full of mixed woodland (Photo1). With windows down and air con on Barbara still managed to hear a Northern Parula (Photo 2), which eventually gave us good views.

420.Northern Parula------------Old Sabine Bottom---------------USA

Thirty minutes later we found one of the pools (Photo 3) the warden had told us about. An Acadian Flycatcher (Photo 4) was the venues second lifer but there was little more about so we went deeper into the wood.

421.Acadian Flycatcher--------Old Sabine Bottom----------------USA

We eventually found, not far from some operational oil Pumpjacks, another pool which was far more active. Barbara got out the seats and we at in the shade of the car watching Indigo Buntings, Carolina Wrens, Northern Cardinals, Northern Parulas, Tufted Titmouse and Summer Tanagers coming down to drink.

Barbara then spotted a Yellow Billed Cuckoo (Photo 5) flying through the trees before it finally also came down to the pool. Despite the shade we were also drinking plenty and when the wind died down it was time to leave with another lifer in the bag.

422.Yellow Billed Cuckoo-------Old Sabine Bottom----------------USA

More to follow……..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 49

Heading for our final destination of the day we spotted some marshland (Photo 1) next to the highway. In typical Barbara fashion she soon found somewhere to park. And it was worth it as a Belted Kingfisher was perched on a dead tree on the far side of the marsh.

423.Belted Kingfisher--------------Mineola Highway---------------------USA

We eventually arrived at Mineola Nature Preserve (Photo 2) where the car park looked (Photo 3) down over a vast forest but being 106 degrees by now there was little bird life. Returning to the car however Barbara heard and found a Chipping Sparrow (Photo 4). She was amazed to see the bird this time of year but hey it went in the book!

424.Chipping Sparrow-------------Mineola Nature Preserve--------------USA

Home was then the next target, Barbara taking the back roads through the gently rolling hills (Photo 5) through numerous small towns. We passed several cars driving slowly along the grass verge with blown out tyres, Barbara explaining that this heat soon takes care of any defective tyres and most folk don’t want to stop to fix them in such temperatures.

Passing through a couple of towns we noticed several people standing under whatever shade they could find holding American flags. At the next town there were even more, clearly they were waiting for something. As we approached the next town two fire engines were blocking our progress, at the main set of traffic lights, so we pulled off the road. Here there were hundreds of people lining the road. I decided to ask a lady, who had also just arrived, what was happening. She advised that a local in the military had been killed in Afghanistan and was coming home.

I returned to the car and waited with Barbara. The cavalcade was lead by the police followed by a large number of Harley Davidson motorcycles before the Hearse passed by. I had no connection with the soldier but it was an extremely humbling moment, Barbara and I departing in silence.

We had 100 miles to go so broke the journey up with a visit to Subway. As we approached Dallas a would-be thunderstorm gave us some rest bite from the low sun. A Red Tailed Hawk would be our last bird of the day, the last bird of the trip, sitting atop a street light.

425.Red Tailed Hawk----------------Dallas-----------------------------USA

Barbara was however still looking for American Kestrel and Common Nighthawk for me as we neared my hotel, this lady never gives up!

Finally at the hotel Barbara and I bid farewell after a wonderful day and a half where I had picked up 28 lifers and 69 USA year birds. Without Barbara none of this would have been possible, I was indebted to her and her family (and of course Laura who had been kind enough to reply to my first request) and made sure she knew she had a ready made guide available to her should she ever visit the UK.

19 June 2011

This morning I heard from Laura that she was much better, which was very good news as I prepared to leave for the UK.

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 40
22 June 2011

A quick check of Birdguides after I arrived home from work indicated there was a Red Footed Falcon at Breaston just ten minutes down the road from Derby. I was given 30 mins door to door so had my work cut out! Steve couldn’t make it but helped me with directions, which as usual were spot on. Having parked up on the verge amongst many other birders’ cars on the outskirts of Breaston I followed Steve’s directions to the horse paddock where several other local birders (Photo1) were already viewing the bird which was extremely confiding coming down to feed in the field right in front of us (Photo 2)

426.Red Footed Falcon-----------------Breatson--------------------England

After a few shots I was on my way back home punching the air metaphorically at reaching my 200th UK bird of the year before the end of June. It has been my second best year in the UK since I started back properly recording my year birds in 2004, 2008 being the best when I reached 200 birds on 23 May, funny enough also with a Red Footed Falcon, then a lifer!

It only took 2,913 miles of birding this year to reach 200 as apposed to 3,349 miles last year.

Now to beat my best overall year, again in 2008, of 443 birds…..

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 50
17 July 2011

Having to wait until Sunday morning to be able to try and view a North American visitor to Rutland Water that had been showing on Birdguides for a few days I arrived at Shallow Water hide, Lyndon reserve to find several birders (Photo1) already on the bird.

For July it was more like April with the squalls (Photo 2) coming across the reservoir. I had walked down to the hide with a couple of other birders from Norfolk, new to the reserve. We were pleased there were other hides on the way to our destination so we could take shelter from the downpours.

Initially the Spotted Sandpiper (Photo 3) was feeding on the far side of the lagoon before disappearing off to the lagoon wall, then all of a sudden it was in front of us allowing some reasonable shots; my first summer plumaged bird in the UK.

427.Spotted Sandpiper------------------Rutland Water--------------England

While waiting for the bird to return a couple of Ruddy Shelducks were seen sleeping on the lagoon wall.

428.Ruddy Shelduck--------------------Rutland Water--------------England

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
29 July 2011

With little time for birding during my first five days in China, in Guangzhou I flew West to Chengdu last night. This morning I was woken by an intense thunderstorm that didn't relent all day, I haven't seen rain like it in China before.

Leaving work this evening a family of White Browed Laughingthrush were feeding on the sodden verge inbetween the rush hour traffic leaving Chengdu airport.

429.White Browed Laughingthrush--------------Chengdu--------------China

This evening I had a very pleasant evening with Zaxxio who runs the Chengdu Birding Society and Wei Qian, also on the board, both of whom have taken me on some wonderful birding trips over the years. Neither were available this weekend so made up for it by reminiscing over previous adventures.

Wei Qian was still enthused by the Blackthroat found in Chengdu at the Sichuan University. Zaxxio told me that Nigel Mirven the famous TV naturalist contacted him about the bird as he now has a house in Chengdu and is regularly in touch with Zaxxio.

Later in the evening Zaxxio showed me some of the incredible panoramic and bird photos he had taken from ten years of visiting the wonderful northern Sichuan grasslands. A must for next spring…

Last edited:
30 July 2011

A leisurely 8am start from the Holiday Inn at Chengdu Century City, a vast new complex to the east of Chengdu 20 minutes from the airport. Albert Jiang and Liu Wei from our Chengdu office joined me today, Liu Wei keen to find out more about the local birds as she is very much into all things nature.

Having stopped off at a near by unused bridge across a large river we picked up a number of good birds for the day feeding on the mud, including Common and Wood Sandpiper with many Little Ringed Plover.

We then headed for our intended destination for the morning, a reservoir called Qing Long Lake. My previous visit was in June 2010 when the heavens had opened and we were birding under umbrellas. This time it was thankfully dry after the torrents of rain that lashed the city the previous day.

The first year bird was a Collared Finchbill (Photo1) seen from the car.

430.Collared Finchbill-----------Qing Long Lake (Chengdu)-------------China

Liu Wei (Photo 2) and I then took to the track alongside the lake where a Lotus Pond (Photo 3) was holding a couple of delightful Pheasant Tailed Jacanas (Photo 4)

431.Pheasant Tailed Jacana----Qing Long Lake (Chengdu)--------------China

Further along there were several Intermediate Egrets feeding in the fresh water marsh and roosting in the surrounding trees

432.Intermediate Egret--------Qing Long Lake (Chengdu)--------------China

While Grey Heron were in plentiful supply we did spot three Purple Herons, and by far the most numerous ducks were Spot Billed, in fact the only other duck we saw was a Pintail.

Wei Qian had told us last night that there were some Cotton Pygmy Geese at the far end of the lake. Being a lifer I was keen to investigate. We actually found that we couldn’t get to the dam wall after a long detour walking through a very muddy track so returned to where Albert had parked the car.

Here we scanned (Photo 5) the area again but no geese. It would be two hours since we arrived at the lake before we finally achieved our goal. Three Cotton Pygmy Geese flew along the lake before again disappearing from sight. The brief view was still worth high fiving as lifers always are!

433.Cotton Pygmy Goose-------Qing Long Lake (Chengdu)-------China

It was a late lunch and then an early arrival for my flight to Beijing where I thanked Albert and Liu Wei for sparing their valuable time. Liu Wei was pleased as she had seen nearly 30 new birds in the day.

Not being able to get an earlier flight due to the aircraft being full I whiled away the time putting together this report before turning to my e-mails after my flight was given a two hour delay…

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG