• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproof camera/lens cover recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
I'm looking for a simple cover that protects from rain that I can quickly slip over a camera (in my case a panasonic G3 with a 100-300mm lens) and that will fit and protect even while I'm carrying the camera around my neck on a strap. I'm not necessarily looking for a cover that allows camera operation with the cover on--just protection from rain, so I don't have to hold an umbrella. (Note I'm U.S.-based, so need something available on this side of the Atlantic).

Jim

I've used Optech Rain sleeves for my DSLR and 300mm F4 lens for a while now - they're cheap, durable enough, and when they eventually look like they're too worn, I get another. I can usually get a year or two out of them - and that's shooting in the rain too.

For my NEX and 55-210mm lens, I generally just use a large Ziploc Freezer Bag - I don't shoot with it on, but keep one in my back pocket so I can throw the camera and lens in there if I get caught in a rainshower...a big freezer bag should fit nearly any mirrorless camera model even with fairly longish lenses...so you might try that out and see if it saves you money - especially if you don't need to be able to shoot with it, but just want protection.

Justin,
I just looked at the Rain sleeve product, and one thing is not clear to me: how does the straps fit with this product?

cheers
Niels

By straps, do you mean the drawstring at the end? The rain sleeves I have are fairly simple long plastic tubes, that can fit the camera body and long lenses, with a downsloping hand access where you can insert your hand in from the bottom to get at the camera controls. There's a hole for an eyepiece where you can alternately remove the eyecup, slide the eyehole around your viewfinder, and then reinsert the eyecup to allow shooting through the viewfinder. At the lens' end, there is a drawstring, which can be pulled tight around your lens hood, allowing you to keep shooting in rain as long as you just keep the camera pointed horizontal or downwards...if the weather gets really ugly, you can pullthe sleeve past the lens' opening, and pull the drawstring closed all the way.

I wouldn't trust this type of thing to keep the camera dry while shooting surfers in Hawaii from inside the wave, or going down a rapids in a raft...but for even heavy rainshowers or splashes/spray, it works fine for me and is quite cheap.

EDIT: Now I think I understand what you're saying - how does your camera strap work with this product!! Sorry for the misunderstanding - actually it works pretty easily for me - because you have the hand insert section at the back and bottom, the strap simply lies down into that section. If you have a long neck strap, it would stretch all the way out of the hand access hole - or you can do as I do, and wrap the neck strap twice around your wrist as you insert your hand into the hole - your hand stays inside the hole to shoot, and the necks trap stays inside the plastic cover wrapped around your wrist.

I too have used the op-tech rain sleeves when shooting in moderate rain - wouldn't want to use them in really serious situations.

But my favourite solution for carrying a camera with me in potentially nasty conditions is a dry-bag of appropriate size. (My poor camera had to deal with being breathed and splashed on by grey whales this year, and while I didn't manage to keep it dry all the time (these whales have a sense of humour, I'm sure...) it survived a lot of tough action thanks to the protection idea outlined below.

For years now I've used Sea-to-Summit ultrasil dry bags (see eg http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/170). These are comparatively thin and light-weight - if your application is more heavy duty I'd recommend one of the tougher series. I loop the strap around the camera/lens and put the whole lot inside one of these bags, using the roll-top to enclose quite a lot of air with the camera in that bag. This then allows me to pack the camera away into a rucksack or the like, while knowing there's a lot of cushioning. If I need the camera to be ready for action I'll instead pull the drybag over it, maybe folding the roll top once (useful, for example, in a skiff/rigid inflatable when moving to the target zone, if there's a decent chance of water splashing over, or even if you're worried you might fall in). This idea isn't suitable for shooting in the rain - it's purpose is to have light-weight protection ready against water and dust. These bags are truly water-tight (in my experience they're air-tight if you use them properly).

I've never used them on anything larger than a camera plus 70-300 4.5-5.4 zoom lens, and I suspect that if your rig is much bigger than that this may not work.

It's certainly worth having a play with - these are cheap enough that you're not going to be seriously out of pocket if it doesn't work for you. I have no connection with this company other than being a satisfied customer. I'm sure other makes with a similar spec are available too.

Andrea

Justin,
I just looked at the Rain sleeve product, and one thing is not clear to me: how does the straps fit with this product?

cheers
Niels

Thanks everyone for the additional suggestions. The issue Niels mentions is the reason I don't just use an ordinary plastic bag, or similar bag. I want a cover that will fit around the camera strap attachments on each side of the camera while the camera is hanging, by its strap, around my neck--because that's how I carry my camera in the field. It's not clear to me whether any of the products mentioned permit this. None of the photos I've seen of these products show them being used while the camera is hanging from its strap.

Jim

Certainly the Optech rainsleeve is usable with a camera strap attached, but I agree it's not very strong. Most of the systems specifically designed for cameras are open at both ends: One hole for the lens to peak through, and one for the operator to get to the buttons and viewfinder. I would have thought that if you have sufficient material you can cover the back of the camera when not in use while still leaving an opening for the straps to come through.

It's surprisingly difficult to find images that show what this would look like when you're carrying the camera - the product placement shots are all about how you'd shoot with it. I did find one user of the stormjacket products mentioned above who suggests that if your strap attaches to the tripod attachment point then you should pick the `pro' version. which has a velcro-closable opening below.

Andrea

I suppose with the cheap ones like the Optechs, you could just decide to pop holes in the sides for the strap lugs, and use some kind of tape to help better seal it again. For the most part, you'll probably need falling rain protection and splash protection, not full on waves-over-the-head type waterproofing, so the small holes well taped or covered would probably be safe for basic duty. I rarely travel with my camera around my neck, so it didn't dawn on me - I'm either handholding up to 300mm lenses, or tripod mounting and carrying via the tripod for bigger lenses, so for me, the strap didn't need accessibility. But it's a good point for those who do. Try the cheap ones like OpTech - jerry-rig some tiny holes for the strap clip, and see how it looks and feels - they're awfully cheap so you can't go too wrong if you don't feel safe with it, just don't use it.

I suppose with the cheap ones like the Optechs, you could just decide to pop holes in the sides for the strap lugs

The problem with holes is that you'd have to remove the strap to put the cover on or take it off. Removing the strap is a significant hassle, at least on my camera. What is needed is some sort of button down or velcro flaps. But thanks for the suggestion.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back