• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chimney Swift information (1 Viewer)

I want to gather observation information about Chimney Swifts. I want to build a nesting / roosting artificial "chimney" for them. My location is US Arkansas Ozarks. I once had a chimney used by Chimney Swifts. I assume they nested in it. I observe lots of Chimney Swifts skimming a large farm pond early every fall. In John James Audubon by Richard Rhodes, page 57, Audubon observes and documents near Louisville KY a very large hollow Sycamore Chimney Swifts utilized for roosting, not nesting, about 1808. He observes, chops, climbs into and measures the tree on many visits. He "collects" over 100 from inside the tree at night, mostly mature males with a few immature birds. Audubon estimates 9,000 Chimney Swifts roosted in that Sycamore. (I estimate about 20 used my chimney.) Please post information about Chimney Swift observation. What numbers have you observed? Do they nest separately from where they roost? Is there sexual segregation? (Red Wing Blackbirds do that in the winter.) What structures have you observed them using. Roosting or Nesting?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back