• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Journal Do You All Like and Prefer?? (1 Viewer)

MUHerd

Hey all.

I have a question that I'd like to get your help with, if you don't mind.

I need to get a start on a journal that I can document all of my outdoor activities in addition to Birding, when I start. The problem is that there is just about a GAZILLION choices when it comes to journals, journal covers, Field Notebooks and such. And just to add to the fun, they come in all kinds of different sizes. I never knew there was this much interest in keeping a journal, but I guess there is.

I would like to get some kind of journal that would let me use 2 or 3 different bound paper booklets or separate sections so I can have field notebooks for hunting, fishing and Birding in their own notebook?

What journal do you all use? What have you tried that impressed you? Is there a specific size that you can recommend?
Did you make yourself a "Travellers Journal" with the rubber band type things that let you add and take out the separate journals and add new one without screwing up the other journal booklets that you might have going on at the same time?

If you don't mind, can you give me some suggestions and advice on what Field Journal or Field Notebook you have found to work the best for documenting your activities?
If you made your own cover and the booklets that have the paper you like in them, how about telling about it and how it is working out for you?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thank you all.

MUHerd

Not sure my experience will be much help as I am increasingly using my smart phone and eBird. But I'm not into the hunting and fishing things.

I have one notebook that comes everywhere with me, whether it’s a stroll along the River Mersey; a week on Shetland or Scilly or an organised trip to Colorado. I’ve followed this format since I started birding. I only have 4 pages left in the current book.

I have an A5 "page-to-a-day" diary where I record my sightings.

I have a number of lists on BUBO, although I am considering switching to Scythebill.

Hope that helps

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back