• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jomo's Sketchbook (3 Viewers)

A few pages from a camping trip to the Pinery this past weekend. I'd fully intended to get up at the crack of dawn on Sunday to sneak in some birding time, but ended up rolling over and going back to sleep. Crud. I really, really wanted to find some Red-headed Woodpeckers, too...

Hmm, helps if I attach the images too, I suppose...

Attachments

• sketchbook 2009-10-03-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-10-03-1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 61
  • sketchbook 2009-10-03-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-10-03-2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 59
  • sketchbook 2009-10-03-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2009-10-03-3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 58
The YB Sapsucker would be fun to paint. Nice color. But, the Winter Wren is my favorite by far! What a neat little package of life they are. I don't see them nearly often enough.

Sid

Agree with Sid - the winter wren is a visual delight as it bobs and flicks across the page.

Agreed. Your drawing is rapidly improving from what was already a very high level of ability. The latest Loon sketches are brilliant, the birds drawn from every conceivable angle with a lot of confidence, so many super observations in there, these are really exceptional. Snorkeling Merganser is also superb. A real treat to view these Jomo...

Lovely, deceptively simple drawings Jo! As Colleen says your drawings have a special, hard to define quality -- that's what I mean by deceptively simple! And of course when you consider that the winter wren, like all the other wrens I know, just won't sit still, it's all the more amazing that you have a complete page of them in different positions.

A few pages from a camping trip to the Pinery this past weekend. I'd fully intended to get up at the crack of dawn on Sunday to sneak in some birding time, but ended up rolling over and going back to sleep. Crud. I really, really wanted to find some Red-headed Woodpeckers, too...

... from which, I take it, you didn't. Schade. |:(|

You, know, I'm not sure, but they may have all left already - I know I've been around Long Point for them coming north in May, so wouldn't be surprised if they all clear out again in September.

Long Point P.P. is a good place for them, by the way - one of very few in the province, unfortunately. Try the beach parking lot - enough trees to keep them occupied, but still open enough that you have a chance of an unobstructed view for sketching.

P. C.

Amazing collection of new drawings Jo!
I love the way you have captured the jizz of every species
sketching them from various angles.
Love the Loon in particular!

Paschalis

... from which, I take it, you didn't. Schade. |:(|

You, know, I'm not sure, but they may have all left already - I know I've been around Long Point for them coming north in May, so wouldn't be surprised if they all clear out again in September.

Long Point P.P. is a good place for them, by the way - one of very few in the province, unfortunately. Try the beach parking lot - enough trees to keep them occupied, but still open enough that you have a chance of an unobstructed view for sketching.

P. C.

Karl had them a couple of weeks ago, so I'd been hoping they'd still be in the park. Mostly wanted to spot some juvvies, which I've never seen. I'll make a note to hit Long Point next May -- thanks for the tip!

Hola!

Crikey, had to do a lot of digging to find this one (BirdForum had slapped a label on it warning me that this thread was probably dead, and started complaining when I went to add a new post -- didn't know they did that ;) ). Don't think I've even been away from the forum this long.

Got back from a week in Mexico recently (friend was getting married down there -- beautiful location, and no fuss at all, the resort took care of everything -- definitely the way to do it!). I'd have liked to have gone on a guided tour somewhere, but had to settle for what little I could stir up around the resort early in the mornings before the sun got too hot.

So some nice lifers, but not the numbers I'd hoped for. Though birding in a new location (particularly somewhere tropical) is always overwhelming, so I suppose it's a good thing I didn't run into too many species. Maybe next time I'll get my motmot!

Yucatan Jay, Tropical Kingbird, Great-tailed Grackle (loved these guys -- so much personality), Social Flycatcher, Tropical Mockingbird and Golden-fronted Woodpecker.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2010-04-03-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-04-03-1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 43
  • sketchbook 2010-04-06-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-04-06-1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 33
  • sketchbook 2010-04-07-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-04-07-1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 34
  • sketchbook 2010-04-08-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-04-08-2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 36
  • sketchbook 2010-04-08-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-04-08-3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 39
A few more ... Tropical Mockingbird (lots of these around), Melodious Blackbird and Laughing Gull.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2010-04-08-4.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-04-08-4.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 36
  • sketchbook 2010-04-08-5.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-04-08-5.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 35
  • sketchbook 2010-04-09-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2010-04-09-1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 56
what a great set, not a single species I know! Golden fronted woodpecker sounds fabulous, and I love the sketch, superb shape. Glad you popped back!

Y'know - you're allowed to take the odd sabbatical from time to time, but half a year is taking the p!ss just a bit ;)
Having said that - whenever you return it's always with astoundingly brilliant work such as this. Wonderfully sumptuous drawings, dripping with character. Love 'em!!!

Excellent work.....what more can i say..??!

ps...hope we get to see more from Mexico....the birds you've wonderfully sketched bring back a lot of fond memories...[some of the best warblers i've ever seen were in Mexico...pink-headed...red faced]...etc

Very nice Jo.

When you read the names of these unusual birds, except for the Great-tailed Grackle, you can't help but ask, 'Well what makes this flycatcher, the Sociable Flycatcher?' I guess that's one of the pleasures of seeing new birds. It gets you to thinking about how they relate to the birds you already know.

great sketches, and admire how you draw from different perspectives so well. The gull sketch has such atmosphere in the barest of notations...

Hi Jo,
This is some of the finest field sketching I've ever seen. Economy of line, all postures tackled and everything in the right place. Sensational. I'll definitely be checking out more of your stuff. Keep it up.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back