• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Texas Toad (1 Viewer)

aaron1956

aaron1956
Or frog. I took this yesterday evening in south Texas near Corpus Christi right after a heavy rain. Can someone ID it please?

Attachments

• mini-frog 004.JPG
    mini-frog 004.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 123
It's a Spadefoot Toad, possibly Eastern Spadefoot (Scaphiopus holbrookii holbrooki) although a couple of other Spadefoots are in range.

I agree with Mike - no parotoid glands and a vertical eye pupil make this a Spadefoot. My source shows Corpus Christi well out of the range of the Eastern Spadefood Scaphiopus holbrookii holbrookii, but within the range of a sub-species called Hurter's Spadefoot Scaphiopus holbrookii hurterii. It's also in the range of Couch's Spadefoot Scaphiopus couchii, but the color is really wrong for that species.

The book I'm using says that Hurter's "may vary from grayish green to a chocolate- or greenish brown, to almost black". So this is OK on overall color. An odd thing, though is that both Eastern and Hurter's toads normally have two light stripes, one originating at each eye, and running down the back. However, a different book says they "often" have these stripes, implying it doesn't rule out the ID if the stripes are not there.

Thanks for the replies! I went out birding yesterday and walked up on it sitting in the middle of an asphalt hiking trail. I gave it a little nudge with my foot and it didn't even hop off. A new one for me to scratch off my lifer list. Oh wait, that's birds! :)

Thanks for the replies! I went out birding yesterday and walked up on it sitting in the middle of an asphalt hiking trail. I gave it a little nudge with my foot and it didn't even hop off. A new one for me to scratch off my lifer list. Oh wait, that's birds! :)

List everything. The new term for it is pan-species listing (really truly and I ain't even lyin' OK?)

Be warned: it can get expensive if you start to take it seriously.....

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back