• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eden Estuary News (4 Viewers)

I didn't see the green-winged teal yesterday (or this morning) and it seems not to have been reported. May still be about though. I did see a chiffchaff in the garden this morning though. Only our 3rd sight record (2 autumn singers were heard only), taking us to 91 for the year.

Rob

Hope you don't mind me 'borrowing' your thread, Rob....
Spent from 1000 till 1645 in the (rather quiet for a Saturday) hide at Guardbridge. Some good views of a Red Fox, at one point it was divebombed by the Buzzard...not sure whether it connected or not, but the fox looked rather shocked and scarpered a few seconds later. Managed to see 45 species, but nothing too unusual.
Couple of Long Tailed Ducks (both females) together around the bend by the Motray area at high tide, the Spotted Redshank getting darker by the day, Plenty Black Tailed Godwits and a few Bar Taileds too, 11 Common Sandpiper all together at one point (but more often in smaller groups throughout the afternoon) opposite the hide, 1 Whooper Swan, 5 Drake Gadwalls together (no females), a couple of flocks of Pink Feet flew through but didn't land, Managed a few shots of the Buzzard v Carrion Crow round 2, and got a Kestrel and Sparrowhawk as well. Haven't seen Peregrine for ages though.....
Enjoyable day though.

Attachments

• 4548121733_2bfb5d67c7.jpg
    4548121733_2bfb5d67c7.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 4548756824_6dcdd8675c.jpg
    4548756824_6dcdd8675c.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 4548120377_605c624aaf.jpg
    4548120377_605c624aaf.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Feel free to borrow "my" thread! You saw similar stuff to me on Saturday.
Welcome to BF Jacqui.
Well we were supposed to go to St Lucia en famille but ended up spending a few days in the Lake District. Not quite the same, but the weather was great and it was nice to see a few migrants.
We got back on Friday afternoon to find a return of winter. Not many birds visible at low tide except the whooper swan (still present yesterday) and our first swallows (92) who must have been wondering why they bothered.
Saturday's highlights included the very black spotted redshank (I wondered if it was actually a new bird), 5 gadwall, 2 long-tailed ducks, our first ringed plover of the year (93), 36 bar-tailed godwits, a stock dove and 2 wheatears. No common sandpipers made it round the corner when I was looking!
Sunday produced 3 drake gadwall, a drake pintail, 6 long-tailed ducks, our first sand martin of the year (94) and a female wheatear. Wader highlight was our first whimbrel (95) along with 40 barwits and 25 ringed plovers. In the evening one of 9 pied wagtails was "showing characters of alba".
Almost the first bird I saw this morning was a male siskin (96) and there were 3 males by the time I left for work. 96 equals our best ever end of April total with plenty of chances for more.

Rob

A trickle of interesting species so far this week.
There were still at least 2 male siskins around yesterday. Also a nice male yellowhammer.
Other passerine interest was a male wheatear last night and a fine "north-western" male wheatear this morning. Swallow numbers have also increased markedly with several sand martins.
A single greenshank was around on Tuesday and again yesterday. Tuesday also produced a fine whimbrel, 41 bar-tailed godwits and 5 grey plovers (3 of them in superb plumage). A moulting knot was with the black-tailed godwits testerday evening.
Duck numbers are dropping but there were 3 gadwall (2 drakes) last night. It has been a record year for them.

Rob

Two more additions yesterday: Sue saw 7 sandwich terns on the rising tide and I managed a house martin (98). Other highlights were a whimbrel, 2 greenshanks and 5 long-tailed ducks.

This morning the long-tailed ducks were still around, along with 5 knot and a drake shoveler.

Rob

A steady stream of interesting birds over the past few days. On Friday evening the shoveler was still around, there were 4 greenshanks, and I saw at least 25 sandwich terns out towards the estuary mouth. A summer plumage golden plover on the satmarsh was unexpected.
Saturday produced 7 long-tailed ducks, 3 drake gadwall, a whimbrel and 2 greenshanks. A swift took us to 99 for the year and a the century was brought up in fitting fashion by an osprey late afternoon.
On Sunday the long-tailed duck count had risen to 10 (must check our record count), there were still 2 greenshanks, 2 knot (one in full summer plumage) and a few sandwich terns. The Greenland-type wheatear has been around throughout (still present this morning).
Yesterday evening a singing willow warbler took us to 101 for the year.
We are ahead of even last year, but I suspect it cannot last. We will struggle to see goldcrest, long-tailed tit, treecreeper and stonechat.

Rob

I forgot to mention what was probably the highlight of Sunday - a pair of scaup.
Last night there were 3 drake gadwall present, along with a distant group of 3 pintail (2 drakes). This morning there were 2 gadwall still around, along with the highest count of bar-tailed godwits of the year (52) and 2 whimbrel.

Rob

On Tuesday evening good viewing conditions enabled me to scan downstream and find no fewer than 11 whimbrels on the Coble shore (a garden record). There were 4 there last night. Also present on Tuesday evening was a single greenshank. Yesterday morning produced a drake scaup and 7 long-tailed ducks.
This morning a pair of siskins were at the feeders.

Rob

It has gone rather quiet in the past few days. There were still 5 long-tailed ducks over the weekend, but there are few other ducks around. Good numbers of mergansers though. Not much wader interest, although there are still around 40 bar-tailed godwits about. 4 whimbrel in the inner estuary on Saturday was nice though.
The willow warbler has established a territory and can be heard (and seen) on a daily basis. Yellowhammers are coming to seed on the drive - there haven't been many visiting this year.

Rob

Largely a quiet week, with a few snippets of interest.
The pair of great crested grebes still appears from time to time, including yesterday morning. Offshore gannets are visible whenever the heat haze isn't too bad, with a fulmar on Friday evening. Of greater interest was the fulmar heading downstream from its inland nest site yesterday. Dabbling ducks are now in very short supply, whilst a goosander on Saturday was a sign of things to come.
An osprey flew through on Saturday, whilst a peregrine went over the house yesterday. Godwit numbers (both species) are dropping, though they were joined by a nice flock of knot (max 22 on Saturday including a couple of nice orange birds).
The willow warbler contniues to hold territory, but the big news for me was a singing blackcap over the weekend. This was the one bird on the garden list that only Sue had seen. I narrowly failed to see it on Saturday but had nice views on Sunday (102). A tree sparrow paid a brief visit on Thursday, whilst yellowhammers cnotniue to visit (up to 3). I found a distant male reed bunting yesterday taking us to 103 for the year.
An unexpected sight over breakfast this morning was a roe deer running across the saltmarsh - very unusual on our side of the river.

Rob

Away last week, hence no updates. It's all fairly quiet at the moment. Great tits have fledged from our garden nest box for the second year in a row. The only other passerine of note was a tree sparrow yesterday morning. Very few duck around - a pair of wigeon yesterday. Not many waders either, though there are still a few godwits of both species. A lapwing yesterday suggests autumn is on the way!
One new species for the year - a flock of Canada geese on Saturday (104).

Rob

Not surprisingly it has been very quiet of late. A few parties of canada geese (max 27 last Weds) have passed through. There are a few young shelducks appearing. The bar-tailed godwits persist, with a few knot among them. This morning there were a few black-tailed godwits as well.
Highlight of the morning was a group of 4 1st summer little gulls - our first of the year (105).

Rob

No sign of the egrets.
A few dabbling ducks recently with a shoveler on Thursday and Friday, teal on Saturday, and several wigeon throughout. Waders trickling through with up to 10 black-tailed godwits, 4 redshanks and 4 dunlin. The bar-tailed godwits remain, along with a few knot. An osprey was seen on Friday and again on Sunday.

Rob

Hi Rob.

Apperently according to my boss, who was with the former warden of the Eden because they'd just finished ringing, saw them fly inland towards Coupar. I gave him a good grilling this morning!!! That should give you a clue who saw them. ;-)

Cheers

Jeremy

Sound observers. The egrets must have carried on going.
More juvvies various to report - a family of wrens in the garden on Saturday (and at least one youngster last night), and a tree sparrow feeding 2 young last night.

Rob

Er, been away at meetings quite a bit lately.
Needless to say given the time of year it has been rather quiet.
However wader numbers are increasing with a greenshank on Saturday (and a whimbrel the previous Saturday). Both godwits have been present thuoghout, with 17 black-tailed this morning. Last night there were around 20 knot present.
Shelducks seem to have had a more successful year than recent years. The largest creche has contained up to 44! On Saturday evening there was a gannet feeding frenzy off the estuary mouth with around 200 birds present. Yesterday evening produced the first arctic tern of the year with the first 2 common terns this morning (106).

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back