• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

do hummingbirds prefer jelly? (1 Viewer)

Abaris

I’ve always had a hummingbird feeder and I’d get the occasional humming bird twice a year, but this spring orioles started coming to it and trying to get nectar out of it, so I just switched it for an oriole feeder which the bottom is filled with nectar and the top filled with grape jelly, they love it and are at it constantly. however hummingbirds have also been showing up daily and not even touching the nectar, just eating the jelly. The old hummingbird feeder is broken but I kinda wanna buy a new one and put it out for them, I’m not even sure if they would go to it though? And I’m not sure if I should put it in the same location as the oriole feeder since the orioles do come and scare the humming birds away. I didn’t even know hummingbirds would show up for jelly

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

When I watched the hummers going to my jelly feeders, I realized that they were going after the bugs crawling around the jelly ;)

My first and only encounter with a humming bird was in San Diego; it frightened me - I thought it was a giant insect. My wife and I live in New Jersey and she told me a humming bird appeared in front of our house one day. 61 years in Jersey and I have yet to spot one. My wife said it was beautiful and an amazing flyer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back