• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea Eagles to be reintroduced to England? (1 Viewer)

jimbob

Just read an article on sea eagles in latest issue of Birdwatch, and it would seem there are plans afoot, began by English nature, to reintroduce sea eagles to 'the east' of England. Rumors suggest Suffolk coast- can anyone add anything to this?

If it's true it's a silly idea and whoever is funding it should spend their money on something more worthwhile, like habitat restoration or heath regeneration.

This is a fair point, but I think the influx of money into the region from tourists would benefit the likes of English nature and the RSPB immensely, so the Sea Eagles would more than pay for themselves in that sense. Look at the benefits Eagles have given to Mull. The same thing could happen to East Anglia. If local people and businesses see the benefits of such a reintroduction at work they too may consider putting money into local conservation initiatives.

I think East Anglia's got enough going for it without needing Sea Eagles to save its tourist industry.

jimbob said:
Just read an article on sea eagles in latest issue of Birdwatch, and it would seem there are plans afoot, began by English nature, to reintroduce sea eagles to 'the east' of England. Rumors suggest Suffolk coast- can anyone add anything to this?
Gets a mention in the latest Birdwatching Magazine. Apparently WTEs used to be widespread throughout Britain, so the lack of Highland geography doesn't seem to be a stumbling block.

I suppose there is always the question as to the validity of reintroductions per se...

Last edited:
scary-canary said:
If it's true it's a silly idea and whoever is funding it should spend their money on something more worthwhile, like habitat restoration or heath regeneration.
... but your argument might have a bit more credibility if it didn't sound like you were just waving your arms around and stamping your feet.

Any particular heath regeneration you are refering to, and what is the impact on WTE reintroduction on the likelihood or otherwise of that?

birdman said:
... but your argument might have a bit more credibility if it didn't sound like you were just waving your arms around and stamping your feet.

Any particular heath regeneration you are refering to, and what is the impact on WTE reintroduction on the likelihood or otherwise of that?

Maybe I am waving my arms about, it's just that so many reintroductions seem to have little valid reson. Are WTEs endangerd worldwide If so, (and I doubt it) then fair enough. But the thousands of pounds spent on a hairbrained (harebrained?) scheme could reclaim wetlands, or something more useful to a larger number of native species. It's the same argument for the ivory-billed woodpecker or the California condor... if a fraction of that money and time was spent in hawaii then tens of species could be saved from extinction.
End of arm waving and footstamping.

scary-canary said:
Maybe I am waving my arms about, it's just that so many reintroductions seem to have little valid reson. Are WTEs endangerd worldwide If so, (and I doubt it) then fair enough. But the thousands of pounds spent on a hairbrained (harebrained?) scheme could reclaim wetlands, or something more useful to a larger number of native species. It's the same argument for the ivory-billed woodpecker or the California condor... if a fraction of that money and time was spent in hawaii then tens of species could be saved from extinction.
End of arm waving and footstamping.
At the very great risk of sounding sanctimonious - for the second time in as many threads this evening!!! - that is, in it's whole, a very good debate you might be able to start in a dedicated thread, scary.

(BTW, I've looked at your photo in your profile... and you are damn' scary!!! :eek!: )

scary-canary said:
if a fraction of that money and time was spent in hawaii then tens of species could be saved from extinction.

if i recall correctly the EN position paper seems to suggest that corporate sponsorship will be easy to get hold of on account of the WTE's charismatic something or other and so they are effectively spending money on this they'd be unlikely to get to spend saving eg hawaiian natives.....if that helps soften the blow SC. Another point is that appreciation of seeing the reintroduced WTE's may inspire wider conservation ambition in the populace etc etc. which is a roundabout way of saying your point is a good one but i'm not sure i ultimately agree.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back