• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (10 Viewers)

in addition the tibia looks long and the supercilium isn't very prominent behind the eye

given the dark cap and white spots on the upper scapulars though i'd go with wood sand

jon

Jon. Wishful thinking.onmy part. As lesser yellowlegs is my prediction bird8-P

Last edited:
small pearl bordered fritillary

Although the "730" mark on the left forewing is sometimes clearer the chevrons, on the rear wing, being attached to the dark border and spots being closer to chevrons than mid wing marks suggest Small Pearl Bordered fritillary.

Back in the early eighties, when there was a path all around the broadmeadows, used to get one or two each year in the SW corner.

Jon. Wishful thinking.onmy part. As lesser yellowlegs is my predictjon bird8-P

I saw a list up in the east hide but the dated entries were quite old - I take it no one has won it yet? if there is a complete list of species already suggested available i'll have a go, though i'm guessing all the likely candidates have been taken :-C

eta: if someone could point me in the direction of the complete 'official reserve list' i'd be grateful

Last edited:
Nothing as exciting as Vern's fritillary but plenty of Comma, Peacock and Gatekeeper butterflies on the wing.

A few pics. from today'

Attachments

• Comma.jpg
    Comma.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Gatekeeper.jpg
    Gatekeeper.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Peacock.jpg
    Peacock.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Lapwing.jpg
    Lapwing.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 93
I saw a list up in the east hide but the dated entries were quite old - I take it no one has won it yet? if there is a complete list of species already suggested available i'll have a go, though i'm guessing all the likely candidates have been taken :-C

eta: if someone could point me in the direction of the complete 'official reserve list' i'd be grateful

Hi Jon - please see attached.

The addition of new species to the reserve's list has somewhat slowed recently - only Twite has been added in the last five years. I believe that the Common Rosefinch report from a few years ago had not been accepted but I need to confirm that with the County Recorder (where I think UW82's money was resting).

If JTB hasnt got a copy to hand hopefully he will take the details down from hide tomorrow and post here to a wider audience. However there are plenty of potential candidates, some of which may or may not have been selected. These could include:

An American duck (Green-winged Teal, American Wigeon, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck)
An American wader (Long-billed Dowitcher, Lesser Yellowlegs, Baird's Sand, White-rumped Sand, Buff-breasted Sand)
Other passage waders (Purple Sand, Kentish Plover, Stone Curlew, Dotterel etc)
A decent raptor (Black Kite, Red-footed Falcon)
A rare heron (Little Bittern, Squacco Heron, Cattle Egret, Glossy Ibis)
Common Crane
Red or Black-throated Diver
Red-necked or Pied-billed Grebe
A storm blown seabird (Eider, Fulmar, Manx Shearwater, auk sp)
A rare gull (Caspian, Ring-billed, Bonaparte's)
A scarce finch (Hawfinch, Serin, Rosefinch)
Wryneck
Rose-coloured Starling
A migrant warbler (Aquatic, Great Reed)
Woodlark
Penduline Tit

Attachments

• UW tick list v2.doc
    147 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Although the "730" mark on the left forewing is sometimes clearer the chevrons, on the rear wing, being attached to the dark border and spots being closer to chevrons than mid wing marks suggest Small Pearl Bordered fritillary.

Back in the early eighties, when there was a path all around the broadmeadows, used to get one or two each year in the SW corner.

I think that your information is as surprising as Vern's sighting. I don't think that any of the older Upton regulars are aware of SPB Frits in the '80's on any part of the reserve, but I stand to be corrected.

Des.

will dig it out Jon and post asap:t:.

2012 Annual Report

I have just received the final batch from Mike.

The list below are those who have copies reserved.
Celia & Alan
Alan G
Muntjac
Hairy birder
Gert
Nokemyster
Craig
Cooky1
Regor
skeleton man
Towny H
woodchat
Phil A

The rest are now for sale, I will be on the reserve tomorrow all day.
If you want to reserve one, then PM, text or post here. I will give some to Rob and Mike as a few held back.
These will be the last ones printed, so don't delay
£2.50 all proceeds go to the upkeep of Upton warren.B :)john

Hi Jon - please see attached.

The addition of new species to the reserve's list has somewhat slowed recently - only Twite has been added in the last five years. I believe that the Common Rosefinch report from a few years ago had not been accepted but I need to confirm that with the County Recorder (where I think UW82's money was resting).

If JTB hasnt got a copy to hand hopefully he will take the details down from hide tomorrow and post here to a wider audience. However there are plenty of potential candidates, some of which may or may not have been selected. These could include:

An American duck (Green-winged Teal, American Wigeon, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck)
An American wader (Long-billed Dowitcher, Lesser Yellowlegs, Baird's Sand, White-rumped Sand, Buff-breasted Sand)
Other passage waders (Purple Sand, Kentish Plover, Stone Curlew, Dotterel etc)
A decent raptor (Black Kite, Red-footed Falcon)
A rare heron (Little Bittern, Squacco Heron, Cattle Egret, Glossy Ibis)
Common Crane
A diver species
Red-necked or Pied-billed Grebe
A storm blown seabird (Eider, Fulmar, Manx Shearwater, auk sp)
A rare gull (Caspian, Ring-billed, Bonaparte's)
A scarce finch (Hawfinch, Serin, Rosefinch)
Wryneck
Rose-coloured Starling
A migrant warbler (Aquatic, Great Reed)
Woodlark
Penduline Tit

thanks phil - I've got a couple of favourites but I suspect they will be taken ;)

Update from flashes. Stuck in hide due to heavy thunderstorm. But at least the flashes wont dry out now. They would have done if we had gone another week. Birds
avocet 31. LRP 6ADS + 1 JUV. GREEN SANDS 12. and more surprising 3 other birders. + 1 fem shoveler

Last edited:
Update from flashes. Stuck in hide due to heavy thunderstorm. But at least the flashes wont dry out now. They would have done if we had gone another week. Birds
avocet 31. LRP 6ADS + 1 JUV. GREEN SANDS 12. and more surptising 3 other birdets. + 1 fem shoveler
'Stuck in a hide'....bet you've used that one before!:-O
What's a birdet?

Water has risen dramatically at the moors. The seasonal pool is now full.
4 fledged terns and 2 small chicks. Gazza had a hobby earlier. The juv cuckoo was being fed by a reed warbler at flashes.

Some good news from the Moors.
GCG have a brood of 3 recently hatched chicks in front of sluice basin. Also little grebe have 3 well grown chicks on east side. 16 broods of tufteds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back