• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow ring on Yellow Legged Gull in Frankfurt AM - Origins? (1 Viewer)

Jakob72

Last week I saw this second year Yellow-Legged Gull in Frankfurt AM, Germany. Looking at the photo at home, I noticed that it had a yellow ring on its left leg. Unfortunately, it was too distant to get a good Picture and I could not read the letters (ends with "M" or "H"?).

www.cr-birding.org does not show any Yellow-Legged Gulls Projects with yellow rings other than in the Canary Islands...

/Per

Attachments

• Medelhavstrut.JPG
    Medelhavstrut.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 91
Last week I saw this second year Yellow-Legged Gull in Frankfurt AM, Germany. Looking at the photo at home, I noticed that it had a yellow ring on its left leg. Unfortunately, it was too distant to get a good Picture and I could not read the letters (ends with "M" or "H"?).

www.cr-birding.org does not show any Yellow-Legged Gulls Projects with yellow rings other than in the Canary Islands...

/Per

Hi Per
This will be a local bird from Frankfurt, and part of the Helgoland ringing scheme. They seem to do a fair bit of ringing in Frankfurt itself so guess your bird was one of last season's offspring in the local area. Here is a bird I found from the same scheme http://rothandb.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/german-ringed-juvenile-ylg-at-rainham.html

Cheers
Rich
http://rothandb.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks a lot for the info! I visit Frankfurt quite often (business) and I have always wondered where the YLG:s flying by along the river Main comes from.

Do you by any chance know where the colony where they breed is located?

Do you also know if this observation should be reported somewhere?

Regards
Per

Thanks a lot for the info! I visit Frankfurt quite often (business) and I have always wondered where the YLG:s flying by along the river Main comes from.

Do you by any chance know where the colony where they breed is located?

Do you also know if this observation should be reported somewhere?

Regards
Per

I don't think you'll get far unfortunately with this record because, as you say, the ring code cannot be read. However, if you do get more ringed gulls on your trips to Frankfurt with codes read then email Sonke Martens at [email protected].

In terms of the location of the colony, the juvenile I saw last August in the previous link was ringed at Posthof, Frankfurt am Main - that's all the info I have sorry.

Cheers
Rich
http://rothandb.blogspot.co.uk/

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back