• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two moths from Suffolk (1 Viewer)

Sharp Shin

Stewart Belfield
ID help please for these two moths, both photos taken in August in rural Suffolk. The first I take for a Thorn, but I can't square the wing pattern with, say, Dusky Thorn. The second, I first took to be Bulrush Wainscot, but again the fit didn't seem quite right.

I'm pretty much a novice at this!

Thanks Stewart

Attachments

• Thorn sp Aug.jpg
    Thorn sp Aug.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Wainscot sp prob Aug.jpg
    Wainscot sp prob Aug.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 38
I don't know why but my response to this has vanished.

I asked if you had any other pictures of #2 as it certainly looks odd.

Martin

Hi Martin

I'm afraid that I don't have any more photos. I was outside taken photographs of a Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing, when this specimen appeared so I took a quick photo of it. It was against the same grill at the LBBYU, and I can say that they were about the same length. Gosh, it does look 'odd' and I'm beginning to wonder it is actually a moth (and not, say, a caddis fly!).

Anyway, the first - Thorn-like specimen - is certainly a moth.

Stewart

I was also wondering about a caddis - but not one I've seen. Might be worth posting in the 'other insects' thread (Insects, Dragonflies, Arachnids, Beetles & More).
Martin

Martin

In post #2, you say that your initial reply had ‘vanished’. Did that reply contain an identification of the first (Thorn-type) moth?

I’ll probably take up your suggestion and repost the second image to the ‘other insects’ threads.

Thanks again - Stewart

I thought you were right with a Thorn but I thought it was a bit too yellow for Dusky - but I've never seen one quite like that.
Martin

Thanks Martin.

It was the dark patches on the mid-outer wing that foxed me. I can't find a match with any Thorn (but, as I said, I'm pretty much a novice at this!).

Anyone else got an idea?

Stewart

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back