• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to pick up bird seeds (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

I want to know what is the best way to pick up bird seeds other than using a rake so the birds are not eating old bird seeds. I can't use a rake every time because it gets rid of the grass and doesn't pick up all of the bird seeds...

maybe a battery powered vacuum like the chargeable car ones.? i would simply sprinkle soil and not worry about the grass, create a small garden bed instead. birds can make their own decisions and you may get some natural food plant growth too. that would be fun and if seed is viable sprouts add to nutrition and garden colour!

maybe a battery powered vacuum like the chargeable car ones.? i would simply sprinkle soil and not worry about the grass, create a small garden bed instead. birds can make their own decisions and you may get some natural food plant growth too. that would be fun and if seed is viable sprouts add to nutrition and garden colour!

I don't even know if those small vacuums are capable of doing this.

Now, I just use a leaf blower but I have a small creek behind my feeders so they wind up in the creek.

It's going to be hard since its between the grass

concrete the yard then. or at least place slabs under the feeder or maybe a square of artificial grass which you can pick up and shake clean, but i think you are probably worrying too much.

Last edited:
I'd go with the leaf blower - it should blow them out from the grass without wrecking the grass :t:

One caution: wear a face mask when blowing the stuff, as you don't want to breathe in bits of bird droppings.

Never really understood the logic behind a blower versus a vacuum. Why blow the problem somewhere else when you can just suck it up and add it to the composter? If ever our feeder detritus gets left for too long for any reason it starts to smell pretty unhealthy - I wouldn't want to blow it somewhere else. Even if you're in a position where you can blow it onto a hard surface you've still got to pick it up - why do the job twice?

Can the birds really get sick if I just leave the bird seeds there?

Certainly - amongst other nasty infections this one has been spread amongst wild birds visiting feeders (mostly finches) in Europe -'i believe it occurs in the USA too.

https://en.wikivet.net/Trichomonosis_-_Birds

Personally I think if I'm going to feed the birds regularly then I have a responsibility to not make them sick while doing so. Getting rid of fallen waste helps to prevent them ingesting diseases which are spread by other birds pooping on the fallen seed or from feeding on scraps that fall from other bird's beaks.. For the same reason I change the water in the bird bath regularly (I'm probably a bit obsessive about this as I change it at least a couple of times a day!) If any birds do look sick it's probably a good idea to step up hygiene and stop putting water out (or even stop feeding altogether) till things get better.

We had a bout of Trichomonosis a few winters ago and it's a horrible disease, birds basically taking days to die in a distressing manner.

The other big risk with leaving the waste is that sooner or later it will attract rats or other rodents.

Last edited:
Just a thought - if picking up waste seed is difficult you can really cut down on it by using a "waste free" food - I googled waste free bird food on amazon.com and there is a really big choice available in the USA. It's also quite a good idea to move the feeders around occasionally (if possible) to prevent the build up of droppings in one place.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back