• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do you have your Razor HD 20-60x85mm on top of? (1 Viewer)

With lots of views and no responses here, I emailed EagleOptics the same set of questions. They sent a comprehensive response within 24 hours which I share below for the benefit of future readers:

Thanks for your inquiry. The Razor scope has a standard 1/4"-20 threading in the foot, so it does thread right onto quick release plates. I wouldn’t recommend using it with your current ball head, for sturdiness and ease of use it won’t be ideal.

The types of tripod heads that are used most frequently for birders are microfluid video heads, with two-way panning and a pan-arm attached. One of our most popular is the Manfrotto 128RC: http://www.eagleoptics.com/tripod-h...bogen-manfrotto-128rc-micro-fluid-tripod-head. This head will be compatible with your legs, and together they should be a good and sturdy set-up with the Razor.

I have mine on a Manfrotto 322RC2 joystick Head, sitting on an older Bogen 3011 Tripod. I'm extremely happy with the combination, and it has served me well for a number of years.

I can recommend the MVH500AH fluid head. It's fluid damped in both axes and really comfortable to follow a far away critter. In my case, I have a 190XPRO3 tripod, and my scope is the Celestron Regal M2 65. A bit of overkill with the tripod head, but a joy to use (and future proof!)

Last edited:
I have my 85mm Razor on the Gitzo 2532 Mountaineer Carbon eXact tubes, the newer series, with the larger Gitzo fluid head, series 2. The fluid head takes some getting used to as one knob adjustment adjusts for both tilt and pan settings.

I tried the Series 1 fluid head, but is was too small for my Razor, the series 2 seems a much better fit due to the weight of my scope

I have the angled 85 Razor HD on a Manfrotto 528XB and the Jobu Pro 2 gimballed head/NX3 plate.
This is a heavy tripod and not for packing too far from your car but when extra weight is hung on it, it's very solid with when the wind is up.
Once the scope is properly balanced and a small amount of tension kept on both axis of the Jobu, you can move the scope with finger tip ease and the scope does not move when you let go.

Geoff

Attachments

• Vortex_Jobu_Manfrotto.jpg
    Vortex_Jobu_Manfrotto.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 297
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back