• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Garden Birdwatch Results (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Well it's the weekend for The Big Garden Birdwatch hope it's a good one for you

Here are my results

10.43-11.43am

Magpie 5
Bullfinch 1
Woodpigeon 1
Great Tit 1
Blackbird 1

Wasn't the best Birdwatch this year but it was still good fun.

Here are mine then:
Song Thrush 1, Blackbird 3, Dunnock 2, Magpie 2, Sparrowhawk 1, House Sparrow 8, Wood Pigeon 1, Robin 2, Blue Tit 2, Bullfinch 3, Greenfinch 1.

The Blue Tits were checking out my new Great Tit box (Put up last weekend) the Bullfinches were all male.

And mine, 1108-1208:

Blue Tit 6
Robin (male)
Blackbird (male)
Great Tit 2
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Chaffinch 3 (2 males)
Magpie
House Sparrow 2 (1 male)
Dunnock
Grey Wagtail
Starling 11
Sparrowhawk
Woodpigeon 2
Carrion Crow
Goldfinch

Just to emphasise how time-sensitive the results can be, an hour later there were 12 Carrion Crows in our tree; 15 Redwings five minutes after that, and a little later 6, not 2 Woodpigeons. But no doubt it all means something to somebody.

John

13:00 - 14:00hrs

Long tailed tit 15 (all at once on the same feeder - quite a sight!)
Goldfinch 14
Woodpigeon 6
Blue tit 4
Dunnock 4
Blackbird 3
Chaffinch 3
Great tit 3
Greenfinch 3
Carrion Crow 2
Robin 1
Coal tit 1
Blackcap (f) 1
Song Thrush 1
Sparrowhawk 1

11:30-12:30. Weather grotty.

Blue Tit 8
Great Tit 6
Robin 3
Chaffinch 7
Coal Tit 4
Nuthatch 3
House Sparrow 3
Dunnock 2
Blackbird 3
Marsh Tit 1
GSW 1
LTT 7
Magpie 1
Collared Dove 2
Grey Squirrel 1

Blackbird 3
Blue tit 3
Bullfinch 3
Chaffinch 3
Coal tit 2
Dunnock 3
Goldcrest 1
Great tit 4
Greenfinch 4
Jackdaw 2
LTT 3
Magpie 1
Nuthatch 2
Robin 1
Treecreeper 1
Woodpigeon 1

15.00 to 16.00 mid-Norfolk.
2 greenfinches
2 woodpigeon
Absolutely nothing else in the hour.

Usually get about 10 species.
Up the road there's a little egret in the stream at 14.45
And earlier a flock if varied tits, finches and a couple of buntings . None of the usual corvids about either.
How this will help with stats I fail to see.

If I'd have done a timed hour at 06.30, would have had jay , pheasant, tawny owl, barn owl, rook and jackdaw .

Hi everyone

11.30 - 12.30

5 Siskins
2 Chaffinches
2 Blackbirds
2 Wood pigeons
2 Magpies, that managed to scare most of the other birds.

I have had a Nyjer seed feeder for a few months now and the finches have only recently found them. We did not know Siskins existed until they appeared on our Nyjer feeder, beautiful birds.
Hope they attract many more, still never had a goldfinch yet. Just ordered a 6 port Nyjer seed feeder hopefully the finches come flooding in even more.

Been in the same house for 26 years and the feeders are attracting birds we have never seen before. Still, see and hear many sparrows in surrounding gardens but they give us a miss.
Regards

Jimmy
Edinburgh

5 blackbirds
3 blue tits
3 chaffinches
2 coal tits
1 dunnock
1 great tit
1 long tailed tit
2 robins
2 rooks
1 sparrow (house)
8 wood pigeons
1 wren

It is important to realise this event is of little or no scientific value. It is an activity to encourage people to become involved with birds particularly young persons and school children. The BTO runs a much better scheme called Garden Birdwatch this involves weekly recording throughout the year. There was an interesting letter on these annual events in "Brtish Wildlife" magazine from Jeremy Greenwood who dismissed them as publicity stunts. Much better to stump up £17 and contribute to real citizen science with Garden Birdwatching. Details on the BTO website.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back