• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera horrors (1 Viewer)

nigelblake

don't re member
Today I had what at first appeared to be a very nasty accident.
Whilst changing CF card and removing my Zigview digital viewfinder from the 1Ds MkII + 600mm, I caught my tripod with a chord loop on my fleece jacket, the whole lot crashed to the ground (about 4 inches of water, extract of cows bottom and mud)
I managed to grab the camera etc so the impact was fairly light, but the Zigview went straight in the river, my camera was, to say the least, very well covered in crud. and I felt sick. OK its insured but it all takes alot of messing around to get that all sorted out.
However, I washed the camera under a running tap and dried it, apart from a little scuff in the paint on the top-plate it survived and when checked over was working as it should, this is testament to just how good Canon's water/dust seals on this camera are, a very big sigh of relief.
The Zigview when retrieved from a watery grave did not work though, but I put it in the sun, on the dashboard of the car and went back to taking more pictures, about 3 hours later when I got back to the car I tried the 'on' switch on the Zigview and very much to my surprise that was working OK too, today I feel like I have been very lucky!!

I know what you mean about insurance, I had my camera knocked over last year (a 300D) and it did not survive the impact. Luckily my insurance paid out on it, but it did leave me without a camera for a few weeks, which was no fun.

I'm very glad to hear that all seems to be OK with your camera, shows just how well made it'. Amazing that the Zigview works after being submerged, it does seem you've been very lucky.

Was the day worth the trouble, did you get some good shots?

Last edited:
I did get some great images today, more Dippers, part of an ongoing project.

I was pushing my luck really and it was lucky it happened when it did, I had been nearly waist deep in the water (waders on) with the camera at water level on a submerged tripod only minutes earlier, I think that would have drowned the lot.

I wouldn't like to try the running tap with my 20D! At the slightest hint of rain I usually put it back in my bag but years ago I always carried my OM1 around and used it whatever the weather, even pouring rain. I also dropped it three times, with a 300mm Zuiko lens attached, onto a hard road surface but it kept on working, although the last time did bend the rewind knob over a bit: http://www.worldphotographyforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=438&cat=500&ppuser=43

Electronics and water can be a devastating combination. I'm glad to hear that everything ended up being ok!

If you get your gear wet, the key is to turn it off as quickly as possible. What ruins electronics when they get wet is not the water, it is that the water is causing electricity to jump across circuits, which can (and often does!) short it out. So turn it off, and let it dry completely before turning it back on. In the tightly built cases of cameras, it can take a very long time for it to totally dry out. I know someone who dropped their camera in a lake, was able to retrieve it out of the water very quickly, turned it off, let it dry, and it has worked fine since.

Salt water is a different story. Very evil, salt water. It is corrosive, so it will do damage other than just a short circuit.

I widh my luck was as good as yours Nigel! I have been equally impressed with the dust/water guard on my 20D though, it has suffered from a few heavy thunderstorms getting a little wetter than I would have lied but it still survived.

to go slighty off subject you Mention that your gear is insured Nigel---as I am having problems fiding any sort of sensible camera gear insurance which includes foreign trips could I ask who/which company you use for insuring your gear

Graham Catley
graham.catley 'at' btopenworld.com

graham catley said:
to go slighty off subject you Mention that your gear is insured Nigel---as I am having problems fiding any sort of sensible camera gear insurance which includes foreign trips could I ask who/which company you use for insuring your gear

Graham Catley
graham.catley 'at' btopenworld.com
Hi Graham, I'm interested in this subject too, since my equipment is slowly raising its value .. I'm not aware of any insurance formulas, but perhaps you may find more info elsewhere in this forum .. try first this section here
Ps keep us updated about your investigations
Max

nigelblake said:
Today I had what at first appeared to be a very nasty accident.
Whilst changing CF card and removing my Zigview digital viewfinder from the 1Ds MkII + 600mm, I caught my tripod with a chord loop on my fleece jacket, the whole lot crashed to the ground (about 4 inches of water, extract of cows bottom and mud)
I managed to grab the camera etc so the impact was fairly light, but the Zigview went straight in the river, my camera was, to say the least, very well covered in crud. and I felt sick. OK its insured but it all takes alot of messing around to get that all sorted out.
However, I washed the camera under a running tap and dried it, apart from a little scuff in the paint on the top-plate it survived and when checked over was working as it should, this is testament to just how good Canon's water/dust seals on this camera are, a very big sigh of relief.
The Zigview when retrieved from a watery grave did not work though, but I put it in the sun, on the dashboard of the car and went back to taking more pictures, about 3 hours later when I got back to the car I tried the 'on' switch on the Zigview and very much to my surprise that was working OK too, today I feel like I have been very lucky!!

Hi Nigel,
you seem to be very confident in your gear and assisted by a good star ... a good combination ... great!
PS I had a look at your site, wow .. that barn owl pic is excellent +++, but I'm green with envy because of your corncrake pics ... grrrrrrr
Keep on shooting,
Max

Lucky you,Nigel,glad everything is working okay.A short tale which says that modern day electronics can survive H2O.I purchased a new mobile phone.I was off out out on a night out with the girls,swung my bag over my shoulder containing a brand new mobile,it fell out ,and landed in the dog's water bowl !!!!.I handed the phone to hubby as I went through the door,and all night I was composing messages to BT and Nokia etc,thinking how on earth could I replace a new mobile.It took me all day to suss out how to work the phone and put all the numbers in etc.
Barry took it to pieces and put it on a radiator overnight.In the morning I replaced the parts,and hey presto everything was hunky dory.Was I relieved.So perhaps these modern hi tech systems are more hardy than we think.

Hi everyone,

Hope this is of some help regarding camera insurance.

My Canon equipment comprises of a 20D,100mm-400mm IS f4.5-5.6 lens, and a 500mm IS f4 lens.
My house contents insurance is taken out by a company in Lancaster called TIC (The Insurance Centre).

The policy is through Norwich Union.

The policy name is called 'Majestic' which is only available through TIC.

This policy enables any of my household contents to be insured anywhere in the world providing that they are not worth more than a 1,000 pounds sterling each individual item.

Obviously the most expensive item I have is the 500mm lens.This is insured for 5,059 pounds (Index linked) and for the year it costs me 60 quid.
Having payed that premium for the year, means that it is now insured wherever I decide to go.
If this is of any help to anyone, the number for TIC is 01524 848506 and I deal with a guy named Mark True.

Gary Jenkins

My gear is all included with my company equipment insurance through Norwich union, it is covered for worldwide use, and if damaged in a car accident, but not if stolen from a car if it has been left unattended. I costs about £650 a year, (bear in mind this is business cover, always proportionately more than amateur cover) which is about twice the cost of my car insurance!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back