• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derivatio nominis (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
I just received this mail from Ben Creisler:

I am passing along a message from Mo Hassan (apparently his email did not post to the Vertpaleo list):

I have been working on a dictionary of the etymology of the scientific names of mammals (both living and extinct). It is now available to view online at this link: https://www.tinyurl.com/mammaletymology. Please share with interested colleagues, and/or suggest edits. Please contact me with any comments or suggestions ([email protected]).

Thank you,

Mo Hassan

Hope it is of interest to you all,

Fred

Fred. many thanks for this excellent attachment. I have already started work on a Key to the Scientific Names of Mammals (to complement the HMW series and any spin-offs), and will find this very useful.

Some less ...

Just to save anyone the trouble (looking/searching for them) ...

I have forwarded links to Mo Hassan, of the following missing references:
Cabrera, A. (1939)
Wettstein, O. (1927)
Baudelot, S. (1972) ... on ResearchGate
Middleton, M. D. (1983) ... on ResearchGate
Tong, Y. & J. Wang. (2006) ... on ResearchGate
Walton, A. H. (1990) ... on ResearchGate

+ the OD of the all missing "Prionailurus bengalensis anastasiae", which I assume is "Felis anastasiae" (Satunin 1904)

/B

Hello,

Thank you Fred Ruhe for sharing! I appreciate the interest.

Please feel free to share or suggest further edits; the resource is far from perfect!

Mo Hassan

Welcome to BirdForum, Mo!

As a tiny welcome gift (even if we're suddenly dealing with Non-birds ;)) I can also support you with a link to:

Teilhard de Chardin, P. & C.C. Young. 1931. Fossil mammals from the late Cenozoic of northern China. Paleontologia Sinica (Series C. Volume IX, Fascicle 1) ... = here.

But be patient, it can take a while to download/open.

Regarding your missing "Myospalax chaoyatseni" I guess you´re looking for "Siphneus chaoyatseni Teilhard and Young (sp. nov.)", on p.24 (or see attached excerpt). I thereby assume you ought to look for a Mr "Ya Tsen Chao" (or written the other way around, in a local/Chinese way). Who he was? I haven't got a clue.

Could it possibly be: Ya-Tseng Chao, Author of for example; Brachiopod fauna of the Chihsia Limestone. Bulletin of the Geological Society of China, 6:83–120 (1927), or Carboniferous and Permian spiriferids of China (Geological survey of China) Palaeontologica Sinica. Series B. Vol. XI. Fasc. 1, p.6+. (1929) ... ?

Either way: Good luck finding him!

Björn

PS. In he same journal you will as well find; "Chalicomys broilii*" (p.4-7; "... in honour of Professor F. Broili of Munich", on p.7), "Paralactaga suni" (p.8), "Pararhizomys hipparionum" (p.11) ... all noted as "sp. nov.", the latter also as "gen. nov.", ... and onwards.

Attachments

• Palaeont. Sinica, Ser. C. 9 , 1931, 9.24.jpg
    Palaeont. Sinica, Ser. C. 9 , 1931, 9.24.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I thereby assume you ought to look for a Mr "Ya Tsen Chao" (or written the other way around, in a local/Chinese way).

Or possibly "Chao Yat-sen" (cf. Sun Yat-sen, the founder of the Republic of China -- given the date of the document, this might be relevant).

But having said that, I don't find any references to that name.

Also note what's written in Nature : a Weekly Journal of Science. Vol. 130 (December, 1932):
As two years ago the lamentable death of the eminent young Chinese palaeontologist, Ya-Tseng Chao, at the hands of bandits had cost the district magistrate of Chao Tung Hsien permanent dismissal from office, such precaution is carefully taken by his successor. ...
From here (Note; this "Abstract" is equal of the full text, on p.877) or here, (but strange looking scans on the latter link).

/B
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back