• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Not been out as much of late due to extra work at the moment, rather cold too here for sketching. Winter birding tough at the moment, not a lot around. Rough Legged Buzzard was a treat though. Dipper influx from the north after the snow, three birds present at Tyresta slott, managed a few quick sketches in between warming my hand on a chemical stick!!

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 218
You get such tremendous character into your drawings. Simply superb. Wonderful, sensitive use of the 'smudge' to mould the dipper's breast (there's that 'Artist's Thumb' we once saw!) - really complete little drawing, excellent. Crikey, it's just occured to me, where's the biro? (has the ink frozen in the pen?). And Alan - is this chemical stick thingy legal ;) ?

timwootton said:
You get such tremendous character into your drawings. Simply superb. Wonderful, sensitive use of the 'smudge' to mould the dipper's breast (there's that 'Artist's Thumb' we once saw!) - really complete little drawing, excellent. Crikey, it's just occured to me, where's the biro? (has the ink frozen in the pen?). And Alan - is this chemical stick thingy legal ;) ?

Never tried to ingest it, worried that if I do my observations might come into question !;)

And yes, you guessed it, cheap biro is not good at all in sub zero! The line tends to break a lot! Have to get me something a bit more technologically advanced...or add antifreeze to the ink!!

More ace sketches Alan.

I'm finding this thread highly inspirational so thanks for being part of helping me to break out from my 'partial blockage' which I seem to have had all through 2006.

Woody

Woody said:
More ace sketches Alan.

I'm finding this thread highly inspirational so thanks for being part of helping me to break out from my 'partial blockage' which I seem to have had all through 2006.

Woody

At least its only partial!! Ha Ha he laughed. This whole forum is, I think, inspiring everyone with a notion to get some work done! In my case I had not painted for two years but never stopped field sketching. I think its important for artists to rub off each other, cybernettically speaking of course!...
Think this forum could be an instigator of a bit of art at all levels, from beginers upwards, which is great, been a real inspiration to me just to know you lot are out there!!

buzzard12 said:
At least its only partial!! Ha Ha he laughed. This whole forum is, I think, inspiring everyone with a notion to get some work done! In my case I had not painted for two years but never stopped field sketching. I think its important for artists to rub off each other, cybernettically speaking of course!...
Think this forum could be an instigator of a bit of art at all levels, from beginers upwards, which is great, been a real inspiration to me just to know you lot are out there!!
Here here!

buzzard12 said:

Absolutely! And it's a reason I have been inspired to do more sketching (i.e. get back into it more like).

Syncronized Sketchathon in May Anyone??

Vectis Birder said:
Absolutely! And it's a reason I have been inspired to do more sketching (i.e. get back into it more like).

Was thinking last night as I was looking at the calender for the year coming with a mind to a weeks birding here and there...

Im going to take a week, perhaps the first week of May off and spend it on one of the islands here in Stockholm and sketch intensively, whatever crosses my path. Should be a great selection of migrants and returning breeders. What I was thinking was wouldnt it be great if others were doing the same thing elsewhere at the same time and we could all return at the end of the week and share our work here..
I do realize that not everyone can just take off for a week, but even to get out for a day or two at a nearby location in May. We might even turn up something good in the process...
Anyone biting on this one....??Why Not;)

Like VB this and other current threads have inspired me to pick up the pencil again. With a suggestion like yours and the fact I have two weeks off in early May the idea certainly appeals and gives me something to aim for. I better get practising, else there won't be much worth posting though.

buzzard12 said:
Not been out as much of late due to extra work at the moment, rather cold too here for sketching. Winter birding tough at the moment, not a lot around. Rough Legged Buzzard was a treat though. Dipper influx from the north after the snow, three birds present at Tyresta slott, managed a few quick sketches in between warming my hand on a chemical stick!!

Sounds fun! I really like the sketches. I have been inpired by the amount of field sketching that takes place by the artist's in this forum. Although I have always done some, I have started doing more. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
www.mathiosstudios.net

peter mathios said:
Sounds fun! I really like the sketches. I have been inpired by the amount of field sketching that takes place by the artist's in this forum. Although I have always done some, I have started doing more. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
www.mathiosstudios.net

Wow! Peter, just had a look at your web site......Great work..!! Makes me want to get the paints out again...almost :) When PS came out and Painter, I found it so easy to "take out the supplies"........ was wondering....did you ever do anything in Painter..or Photoshop......Here is a quick one done in Photoshop....

Attachments

• Wind Beyeath My Wings.jpg
    Wind Beyeath My Wings.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 204
buzzard12 said:
Was thinking last night as I was looking at the calender for the year coming with a mind to a weeks birding here and there...

Im going to take a week, perhaps the first week of May off and spend it on one of the islands here in Stockholm and sketch intensively, whatever crosses my path. Should be a great selection of migrants and returning breeders. What I was thinking was wouldnt it be great if others were doing the same thing elsewhere at the same time and we could all return at the end of the week and share our work here..
I do realize that not everyone can just take off for a week, but even to get out for a day or two at a nearby location in May. We might even turn up something good in the process...
Anyone biting on this one....??Why Not;)

Do keep prompting on this..I've really enjoyed being nudged along by this forum into doing some spontaneous stuff over the last few months after simply years (decades) of being too plain lazy

I've just cancelled a couple of days in Evros/Bulgaria (winter not cold enough) so just might be out and about for a couple of days in May..

ed keeble said:
Do keep prompting on this..I've really enjoyed being nudged along by this forum into doing some spontaneous stuff over the last few months after simply years (decades) of being too plain lazy

I've just cancelled a couple of days in Evros/Bulgaria (winter not cold enough) so just might be out and about for a couple of days in May..
Hi Alan - as Ed says, keep prompting. I think it's potentially a really wonderful idea - but if I may make a suggestion; I think you need to start a new thread with the title you've used. Sketchathon or something. That way folk can follow the theme without detracting from your sketchbook (just my opinion).

Out at Tyresta Slott today, birding quiet, though was one of those rare days here when it is mild with a lot of new snow. Tree Sparrows under a feeder were constant subjects, sketched from close range with my new second hand 7x42 Zeiss BGAT. Really enjoying these!
Magpie done with the scope, may well develop this one, would make a nice winter scene I think. amazing the way the snow balances and stacks up on the finest twigs...

Attachments

• atreesparrowssk1.jpg
    atreesparrowssk1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 201
  • atree sparrow sk1.jpg
    atree sparrow sk1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 199
  • atree sparrow sk2.jpg
    atree sparrow sk2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 216
  • amagpiesk1.jpg
    amagpiesk1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 217
Beautiful portraits of tree sparrow - really quite unfair that you make drawings like this (also, are you left-handed by any chance, Alan?). The magpie is a dead cert for a finished painting - if I were you, I'd get out a piece of board or tinted card and make a colour sketch now, whilst the observation and this drawing are still so fresh in the mind. You could almost simply add body colour to this one - it would soon be a 'finished' piece.
Another excellent post.
Ps - looks like the new optics have come up trumps - always a little bit inspiring to use new stuff, isn't it.

Have been left handed all my life Tim;)

Thanks for the kind comments and good advice. Have no tinted card here to hand though I do have a rather nice sized canvas here staring at me with a rather blank look, if you know what I mean! Perhaps I should indeed get the acrylics out and sort that out....

Got to agree with Tim and Arthur-Excellent sketches of the sparras and that maggie is just begging to be worked up into studio painting. More inspiration thanks!

Woody

Unexpected bonus today, Siskin feeding in trees from girlfriends apartment window, luxury fieldsketching!! Birds stayed for about 45 mins in total...

Magpie painting is a go, started the background tones yesterday evening, will post when done...

Attachments

• aasiskinssk1.jpg
    aasiskinssk1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 200
  • aasiskinsk2.jpg
    aasiskinsk2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 204
Painting progress...

Have worked on both of these today. Blackbird jpeg colour is off but you will get the general gist. magpie at very early stages, long way to go yet...

Attachments

• a Magpiepa.jpg
    a Magpiepa.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 193
  • aablackbirdpa.jpg
    aablackbirdpa.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 165
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back