• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and a question (1 Viewer)

croakie

Hi, I just found this forum while doing some searches on scopes. I've bene birding in the field for about a year and am ready to get a scope. The budget is very limited for this purpose and I'm hoping I can get some recommendations from the people here.

I live in the Southeastern US and have great birding all around me. I spend a lot of time in the field and really enjoy it.

As far as the scope, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Bushnell Spacemaster 20-60x60mm and the Kowa TS602. The Kowa at $250 or so dollars is pretty much the limit on my budget.

I know preferences in scopes are based on personal preference, and I've seen some reviews of the Bushnell and understand it was the standard not too many years ago. I can't find much on the Kowa though. Does anyone have any opinion on either or both of the scopes?

Thank you.

Croakie

Last edited:
Hi Croakie and a warm welcome on behalf of the staff at Bird Forum and from another South Carolinian :). I do believe you are only the second South Carolinian that we have welcomed.

I am not familiar with either of these scopes that you mention but it shouldn't be too long before someone who has some history with these scopes will reply. There is no doubt about a scope enhancing your birding abilities and enjoyment. When I first started using a scope I didn't think I would use it all that much but I was wrong. I go no where without it now and I am on my second scope :)

Please make yourself at home and enjoy the Forum.

hi croakie, welcome to the forum.
i use a kowa 611 with 20 - 40 eyepiece which is ok up to about 30x its a good wee scope. not the one your asking about but might be of use to you
billy

Hi Croakie,

Not sure I'm of much help either. I used to have the Kowa 611 and found it to be superb little scope for viewing with. I had it about two years before upgrading to a Kowa 823 which is a far superior scope in every respect.

I suppose it depends on what you have in mind. If you simply want to view through a light weight scope then the 611 is a very good scope. However if you want to try digiscoping then from my experience you do need a scope with ED/fluorite/APO glasss in it which the 611 and from what I've read 602 doesn't have.

Bushmasters have been around an awful long time and IMO may have been surpassed by several manufacturers. In the UK the new Nikon ED scopes are being heavily discounted at the moment and from what I read are very good quality. They may be worth considering too, if discounted over your way.

It may also be worth checking out Ebay for a second hand scope as really there isn't a great deal that can go wrong with them.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back