• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa's TD-1 Spotting Scope DSC super-telephoto zoom digital camera (1 Viewer)

tom mckinney said:
I've tried it. It's crap.

Average camera (3.2 Mpixels I seem to remember) and an average 'scope (rectangular view which is just plain weird and only 52mm) making it an average piece of kit for a top end price. The infra-red remote control shutter thingy also has way too much delay between pressing the button and the photo being taken - which is obviously an enormous hinderance for taking photos of anything other than stuffed birds nailed to fence posts.

Remember that in the UK for the same price you can get yourself a Swarovski ATS80HD and a Coolpix4500 and thus achieve top end digiscoping results.

It doesn't take a genius to work out why they aren't selling!

The rectangular view is quite unusual with a scope (but not with a camera) but otherwise the optical quality is excellent. I tried it too and I was impressed about the very sharp and contrasty view. The advantage the TD-1 has is that no other equipment enables you to change between birdwatching and taking pictures immediately that quickly. Real 3.2 megapixels are enough for most purposes IMHO. But with every innovation it takes some time to get use to.

Steve

I haven't tried it yet, but I have been very impressed by the results photgraphically despite the low MP rating.

I think we only have one member with this combo at present, but many of the photos he posts in the Gallery are outstanding -

Kowa TD 1 photos by Roland Ripoll

A shame the price point was so high as the principle of scope and camera combined is quite appealing considering the camera is after all matched to the scope optics, perfectly lined up and ready to take a photo any time. There is no need to carry a camera separtely, fiddle with adapters, attach to the scope an align correctly etc.

I can certainly see the appeal of this idea - but am not totally convinced that it would quite satisfy my needs. A 3mp camera seems fairly small by current standards (I use a 4mp for digiscoping and a 6mp dslr), the small objective seems like a potential issue too. The close focus seems fairly poor (5m for manual focus, 20m for auto focus), and the use of SD cards rather than CF is not ideal.
I think that if this scope had a 75-80mm objective and a 6mp camera it would be very popular (even with the £1500 price tag).

It's a brave attempt by Kowa, everyone else (manufacturers) are staying well clear because of the fact that their expensive scope-camera will be perceived by the megapixel infatuated public as being technically out of date in 6 months.

IanF said:
I haven't tried it yet, but I have been very impressed by the results photgraphically despite the low MP rating.

I think we only have one member with this combo at present, but many of the photos he posts in the Gallery are outstanding -

Kowa TD 1 photos by Roland Ripoll

A shame the price point was so high as the principle of scope and camera combined is quite appealing considering the camera is after all matched to the scope optics, perfectly lined up and ready to take a photo any time. There is no need to carry a camera separtely, fiddle with adapters, attach to the scope an align correctly etc.

Thanks for guiding us to this gallery. You are quite right some of these pics are excellent and show what the outfit is capable of.

Cheers

Like others who have posted before, I think the idea is a good one, but the implementation is not highly enough specified for the high price!

I paid significantly less than £1500 all told for my Zeiss 85, Coolpix 4500 and adapter; this gives me the following:
  1. Top notch scope - fantastic light gathering, interchangeable lenses, including zoom option
  2. Excellent digital camera, with very good macro capabilities and 4MP
  3. Very good digiscoping setup; the limitation on the quality of my photos is invariably my skill and patience, not the equipment
The TD1 only offers one of these capabilities (and the evidence supporting this is limited).

David

dbradnum said:
Like others who have posted before, I think the idea is a good one, but the implementation is not highly enough specified for the high price!

I paid significantly less than £1500 all told for my Zeiss 85, Coolpix 4500 and adapter; this gives me the following:
  1. Top notch scope - fantastic light gathering, interchangeable lenses, including zoom option
  2. Excellent digital camera, with very good macro capabilities and 4MP
  3. Very good digiscoping setup; the limitation on the quality of my photos is invariably my skill and patience, not the equipment
The TD1 only offers one of these capabilities (and the evidence supporting this is limited).

David
I just ordered one from Singapore-4weeks ago still waiting -the price i paid in Malaysian dollars was RM.9995.00.0ne pound =6.89(malaysian dollars).the accessory included are objective lens cap,remote control,basic video cable and cd-rom disc.The softcase,ac adapter TD1-AD,Filter Adapter TD1-FAand TripodTP-100V(wt.2.95kg rather heavey i think) are all optional accessories to be paid for.I had to order it from Singapore-not avaible in Malaysia.Just telling youll the price here.about the pics i will see how they come out when i start using it.regards. B :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back