• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small black finch? (1 Viewer)

Dona Houser

KickapooDona
I just saw a tiny black bird this morning on the ground under our feeders. Have never seen this bird before, and unfortunately didn't get a photo before it disappeared. It was about the size of a yellow finch (or smaller) and black...or almost black. I could barely see a hint of striping on it's back. We get a lot of finches.....so I am familiar with them. Just have never seen a totally black one before. Could it be something else?

Last edited:
Given where it is, and what it's doing, I would think Dark-eyed Junco is the most likely candidate. Could you catch the bill colour?

Thanks for offering your thoughts.....but no, much smaller than a Junco, and unfortunately, I didn't catch the bill color. Smaller than a yellow finch, and trim body.

Well, there are no other black (or even mostly black) birds that naturally occur in eastern N.A. that are even close to the size of a goldfinch (as you well know, there are many rather large black birds around!).

So, absent another observation or a photograph, this one will likely have to remain a mystery.

I'm with Peter on this one. Junco was the first bird that came to mind when she was describing it.

A little late to weigh in but Pine Siskin can appear pretty dark with a striped back, is the size of a Goldfinch and often feeds on the ground.

Steve

I just saw a tiny black bird this morning on the ground under our feeders. Have never seen this bird before, and unfortunately didn't get a photo before it disappeared. It was about the size of a yellow finch (or smaller) and black...or almost black. I could barely see a hint of striping on it's back. We get a lot of finches.....so I am familiar with them. Just have never seen a totally black one before. Could it be something else?
I have seen a very small, slender black bird, smaller than any of the ones suggested on this thread, in our yard, and can't figure out what it is either! We are in the NE US. Size of a wren, but without the short wren tail, and dark all over.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back