• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

Flock of Waxwings currently sitting in a tree beside the vet's surgery in Castle Street off Perth Road.

Were in my neighbour's garden just now - about 20-30 of them.

Morton Lochs.

If you've not been to Morton Lochs for a while, you might be in for a surprise. Most of the trees approaching the car park and running down to the Railway Hide have been felled. It is ugly looking, however, there are still some nice birds (see photo) in the area. :t:

Attachments

• DSCN4392.jpg
    DSCN4392.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 52
Oh my!!!! What a great picture to get!!! Nice one Paul.

Seems a shame about the trees, but guess that's what they're planted for!

Good numbers of Scoters on the water at St.Andrews, supposed to be a couple of Surf Scoters amongst them, but I didn't spot them.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4842/33020603168_c0298473e3_c.jpg[/img][/url]

It does help if the weather is a lot calmer, as it was on Wednesday. The Surf Scoters can be elusive but are very obvious and easily picked out when they are close enough in to the shore (those big white patches on the back of their necks help immensely). Pics on my blog....
https://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.com/2019/01/sunshine-on-eden-23119.html
Thanks for that, just a flying visit, we were taking one of my Grandsons to feed the Meerkats at the Aquarium, will have to visit again. We get them in Lunan Bay as well, but not usually as many as this.

10 wheatears in among the rocks at Arbroath waterfront in front of the play park area, only 1 was male, several pied wagtails with them, they were feeding/sheltering,3 little gulls on the grassy area near the mouth of the Elliot burn, plenty of tern movement all getting blown all over the place

Attachments

• wht.jpg
    wht.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 25
  • lgull.jpg
    lgull.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 35
I've been waiting patiently to find out what you saw K.... worth waiting for!

Lovely pictures those too.

Was it windy down there today then? Hardly a breath up here, very calm.

extremely windy here today delia the temperature has also dropped considerably, I saw lots of butterflies last Monday on my walkabout and returned with insect bites on both legs,no butterflies today or insect bites

Yes.... strange, isn't it.

Was it last weekend... it hit about 27 C.... today could barely manage 16!

Andrew hasn't got them all to himself. I nearly ran over a House Martin yesterday when it swooped down in front of me!

Couldn't believe my eyes really - the first one I'd seen for weeks.

I decided to get my daily exercise walking around a park just across the road from me (camperdown park)first birds seen were woodpigeon and carrion crows just before the first car park 3 jays were chasing each other in a tree as I watched them a gs woodpecker began drumming close by,i made my way down to the bottom half of the park,blue tits/great tits/blackbirds/robins/chaffinch all seen and heard,i came across a pair of bullfinch here first I have seen in the park,i came across gs woodpeckers at 2 other spots,1 pair were in the process of mating on a branch,quickest mating I have ever seen,buzzard/herring gull/redwing/dunnock/redwing/song thrush were also seen,mallards were added at the pond along with 2 stock doves,jackdaws and starling were at the tennis court a wren gave me a song as I was ending the walk ,there was toad activity in the pond and some dubs plus 1 bumble bee seen
21 species seen in total
from my living room window in the last week I have had magpies/carrion crows and woodpigeons all collecting nesting material,they all seem tp prefer the same tree to collect the twigs

Attachments

• toads.jpg
    toads.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 21
Oooh!!! I do love that toad K.

It's lovely to hear from you lad. Hope all your family are keeping well... take care.

when I opened my living room curtains this morning I was greeted by a single magpie sitting in a tree ,the bird sat for ages and I presume its the mate of the pair nesting at the side of my flat,once I clean my windows I should be able to get pics without leaving the house,other birds seen from the window were goldfinch/chaffinch/woodpigeon/herring gull,once the magpie flew off 2 collard doves landed,at the bottom of the flats I had song thrush/blackbird collecting worms/robins/great tit and 1 greenfinch,i done some exercise at camperdown park again,first birds seen were a skein of pinkfoots flying towards invergowrie,jays/blackbirds/great tits were all the start of the park walk and a gs woodpecker was nearby,most of the birds I seen were the same as last week and they were at the same spots too,only seen 2 new birds,a sparrowhawk circling at the bottom and a coal tit drinking, both frog and toad spawn in the ponds and several rabbits running about 1 completely black,a couple of bumble bees also seen

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 21
Oh dear!!

It is a bad time of year for fires of course... and it has been very dry this month, hasn't it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back