• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey Essex UK (1 Viewer)

Steven Frost

Good evening all. Hope you can help verify my thoughts. I took these photos over Coopersale, Epping, UK last Sunday. Not great quality pictures as I was at full zoom and hand held. My initial thinking was that this is a Red Kite. There were a pair of birds flying around for approx 20 mins. I have identified them (I think) from pictures on the internet. I am however unsure as from the literature I have read they are not known in this area. Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• BOP 3.JPG
    BOP 3.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 13
  • BOP 2.jpg
    BOP 2.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 13
  • BOP 1.jpg
    BOP 1.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 17
Hi Steven, welcome to birdforum from all the staff here.
Yes, Red Kites are a thriving species now and populating most parts of southern England, we had 4 circling over the garden a week or so ago, but it's usually one or two every day. They are quite vocal, so they let you know they are around.
cheers,
Andy

Thank you very much. Ashamed to say I have lived here for 7 years but only just realised what an amazing place this is with so much wildlife around me. Have learnt more in an hour on this site than I could ever imagine. No doubt I shall be pestering you with ID requests for a while as I educate myself. I shall however try and post in the correct forum! Many thanks for the warm welcome.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Welcome Steven and what a nice way to arrive here with great photos of Red Kites. Take a look at your pics again and notice how they twist their tails. This is a kite thing and good to remember if you can make out the fork in the tail. Enjoy your visits here.

Lee

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back