• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 (1 Viewer)

fyamin

Is there a Stay-on Cover for the 883?

The Swarovski and Zeiss have very nice covers. Does the KOWA 883 have anything? There website doesn't have any information.

There is an olive-green cordura stay-on cover made for the 883. In my view, it works very well but looks rather bland - very much like the Kowa soc's for the older scopes.

Kimmo

Thanks, I have been thinking about getting this scope. But am cautious of the KOWA quality. I own a 661 already.

Plus the customer Service is not anywhere close to what it should be.

swarovski and Zeiss have really nice covers, Shame Kowa can't come up with some nice and actually have the information on their website.

Any pictures? or Source?

fyamin said:

Not a very good desgin, what were KOWA thinking or may be they were not.
compared to

Swarovski

Zeiss

Depends if you are bothered about looks or function. Both the Swaro and Zeiss cases have come in for criticism on the forum.

What is shown in that picture is not at all the same case I saw for the 883. The photo on the Anacortes site looks like a 600-series case. The color is the same, but the 883 case is much more sophisticated and functional. The case I saw has a tethered, snap-on eyepiece hood, a removable flap covering the focus wheels etc.etc. One will always find things to hate about s.o.c:s, but in my opinion the new Kowa 883 case was as good as they come. Only, it made the scope look more plain than I would have preferred. I think Anacortes did not have the case when they did that ad page, and just used an old photo.

Kimmo

[QUOTE

Not a very good desgin, what were KOWA thinking or may be they were not.
compared to

Swarovski

Zeiss[/QUOTE]

Interesting.....the case shown on the latter link is totally different from the one (emblazoned with the Carl Zeiss logo) that I bought with my scope. Have they revised it?

Pete

mrpjdavis said:

Interesting.....the case shown on the latter link is totally different from the one (emblazoned with the Carl Zeiss logo) that I bought with my scope. Have they revised it?

Pete[/QUOTE]

Just looked on the Zeiss website - they do three different cases. One covers the whole scope and is basically a carrying case, one is essentially just padding, leaving the foot and the focussing wheels always exposed. The other is a true stay-on case with zipped covers and velcroed flaps for all the bits that have to be exposed in use. This is the one I've got and, like most other users, I don't rate it very highly.

Pete

This is the one I've got and, like most other users, I don't rate it very highly.
Pete[/QUOTE]

Pete,

I agree. But this new neoprene cover (BTW it´s "Made in USA") works IMO much better. It protects the scope due to very thick neoprene very good and it let the user decide whether the front and back cups should be attached or not. It is also tight and flexible at the same time. Because of the tight fit the mount isn´t that sensitive against wind like many other scopes in their cases. The Zeiss Neoprene Cover ist the first case I know that hardly hamper any of the scope´s functions.

Steve

Here is a new piece of information, I called KOWA. It turns out that the new Stay on Cover is not available in the US because it is made in Japan and it gets expensive to bring it here. They are only offering the old CNW11 case covers for the US market. bummer :)

any one know how I can get my hands on one of the new stay on covers :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back