• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zuiko Digital 50-200 mm 1/2.8 - 3.5 SWD (1 Viewer)

What about without the converter? ;)

ZD 50-200 SWD is a great lens, but without the converter is usually too short for taking pics with birds. It is also a very good gear for macro shots. Unfortunately I didn't succeed to take some shots with the combo 50-200 + EX-25. Maybe this week-end...

Last edited:
Last edited:
but altering the aperture is a bit of a pain I understand.
As far as I know altering the aperture is NOT possible when you use one of these cheap extension rings with a modern Olympus lens (e.g. kit lenses, etc). It mentions this in the Ebay link you gave. You cannot control the aperture of these lenses without help from the camera - i.e. there is no manual aperture control ring on the lens. Therefore, you have to shoot wide-open, and therefore have no control over depth-of-field, which is often very important with macro photography.

Yep, really cheap extension tube, but, as you know, I already bought the EX-25. Seems to work perfect with Zuiko Digital 70-300 so I suppose it will work very well with 50-200 SWD.
I will try some test shots tomorrow.

a trick for stopping down digital lenses when using extention tubes is to set up the fn button for dof preview then set the aperture you want then while you hold down the fn button remove the lens and the aperture will stay set
I don't understand this, Pete. If the camera cannot communicate with the lens because this cheap tube is between it and the lens, then how will holding down the depth-of-field button do anything? If you could communicate with the lens well enough to tell it to stop down via the dof button, you could communicate with it well enough to tell it to stop down in the regular ways, I should think.

Cristian, I also have the EX-25 and like it alot. However, it would be nice to be able to use these cheaper tubes because of the way they fit together and stack, allowing you more flexibility in the degree of closeness you use.

I don't understand this, Pete. If the camera cannot communicate with the lens because this cheap tube is between it and the lens, then how will holding down the depth-of-field button do anything? If you could communicate with the lens well enough to tell it to stop down via the dof button, you could communicate with it well enough to tell it to stop down in the regular ways, I should think.

The communication is done before you fit the tube. You decide on the aperture you think will give you enough DOF and you select that. You then have to follow the instructions removing the lens while holding down the Fn button with the camera STILL SWITCHED ON. That way the aperture will not be set back to it's wide open position by the camera.

I have never used this method as I have plenty of good manual lenses with faster apertures (f1.8, f2.8 etc.) than the kit ones. As I prefer manual focus with macro that works for me.

A good quality manual lens (say $25 for a Zuiko 50mm f1.8 or $10 for a Helios 2/58) a set of tubes ($10) and a manual to 4/3rds converter ($10) gives quality macro.

Pete

Last edited:
Oh, I understand now. Thanks for the clarification. I have one comment about this whole idea - Yikes!!! ;)

I am still quite tempted to get one of these lenses, especially as it is possible to buy one from a reputable supplier for under £800 at present, using the Olympus cash back scheme. I still have one or two questions in my mind, though.

The 50-200 weighs 375gm more than the 70-300. How noticeable is this in practice? My E-30 weighs more than my E-510 did and I don't want to keep adding weight.

It is 6.5mm wider and 30mm longer than the 70-300. Does it feel much bulkier on the camera? I would also probably need to buy a larger holster to carry it, which would cost another £50.

I have read a few comments that the lens hood on the SWD model is much larger and not as convenient as the previous model. Any comments on this?

Does anyone use a protection filter on the lens and is it necessary? About another £40 for a good one.

I have read quite a few comments about people having problems with this lens, including sticking seals and dead drive motors. This is a bit worrying in a semi-pro lens. Any comments?

I am still undecided about whether to buy one or not so is the general opinion that it is a worthwhile upgrade from the 70-300? I have an E-14 converter but it's a shame that it's a step backwards in terms of reach but, hopefully, a step forwards for image quality.

Ron

Hi Ron,

The hood is larger indeed. You can not use the buit-in flash with it on the lens. The combo E-520 + 50-200 is significantly bulkier and heavier.

Thanks Cristian. I find that the 70-300 is a very convenient size and weight to use as a walkabout lens and I don't want to lose this portability. I have just removed the EC-14 for the winter while the light is poor so I am back to 300 mm now.

I am very impressed with the quality of the photos you have been posting and you seem to be using the 50-200 almost exclusively at the moment. I am still undecided whether to spend the not inconsiderable sum on buying one or not.

Ron

I am still quite tempted to get one of these lenses, especially as it is possible to buy one from a reputable supplier for under £800 at present, using the Olympus cash back scheme. I still have one or two questions in my mind, though.

The 50-200 weighs 375gm more than the 70-300. How noticeable is this in practice? My E-30 weighs more than my E-510 did and I don't want to keep adding weight.

It is 6.5mm wider and 30mm longer than the 70-300. Does it feel much bulkier on the camera? I would also probably need to buy a larger holster to carry it, which would cost another £50.

I have read a few comments that the lens hood on the SWD model is much larger and not as convenient as the previous model. Any comments on this?

Does anyone use a protection filter on the lens and is it necessary? About another £40 for a good one.

I have read quite a few comments about people having problems with this lens, including sticking seals and dead drive motors. This is a bit worrying in a semi-pro lens. Any comments?

I am still undecided about whether to buy one or not so is the general opinion that it is a worthwhile upgrade from the 70-300? I have an E-14 converter but it's a shame that it's a step backwards in terms of reach but, hopefully, a step forwards for image quality.

Ron

Hi Ron.

A few thoughts re. this lens...

It is optically a very good lens and is capable if very good results in the right hands (not sure if mine are?). Mine always has a Kenco protector filter attached, which cost about £10 with the lens, and about £40 on its own.

I always use mine with the EC-14 tele-converter as it is too short IMHO on its own.

It is very useable in low light, even hand held. See the attached Bluetail pic, taken at F4.9, 1/80 sec , ISO 1600, handheld on my E-510. It seemed very dark to my eyes at the time (under trees, late afternoon) but I was surprised that I got anything remotely worth keeping. I attached this to show what you might be able to get when you 'need' to get a record shot.

The real limitations shown in this picture are in my opinion more to do with the camera than the lens itself. In later incarnations of Olympus cameras this should improve in terms of noise levels, but I still have nagging doubts that it is not Olympus' main priority. My other doubt is to do with whether they ever intend to introduce a longer and more affordable long lens such as a 300 or 400 (I just can't stretch to a 300 f2.8!).

Most of the time I just can't get close enough to small birds for good pictures. The Willow Warbler and Lapland Bunting were rare exceptions. The lens is however brilliant for medium/large sized insects and bigger birds.

The bunting, warbler and damselfly were all cropped a little from the original, the tern was cropped to about 25% original size, and the bluetail somewhere between this and 50%. I always 'tweak' my pictures in picassa to bring out the details/colours a little, and all have a small degree of sharpening added.

As you probably know, it was me who had the problems with the sticking zoom. Olympus replaced this free of charge and the new lens is better (but still not 100% perfect). In honesty I am a little uneasy about how durable this lens will prove to be, and don't like that it zooms by using a protruding inner barrel. The longer lenses by Canon are in my view better and seem more durable in build, so it might be something you should consider for the longer term. I will wait to see what Olympus introduce in terms of longer lenses and bodies before I take the plunge into investing more cash in my system. I know however that you have already upgraded to a better body.

You have some thinking to do now... Hope this has helped in making your decision.

Steve

Attachments

• P8046621-4.JPG
    P8046621-4.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 149
  • P8317996-1.JPG
    P8317996-1.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 158
  • PA118330-3.JPG
    PA118330-3.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 163
  • PA249021.JPG
    PA249021.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 169
  • PA259127-2.JPG
    PA259127-2.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Hi Steve. Thanks for your thorough and honest appraisal of the lens. You have some posted some excellent shots and I am especially impressed by the damselfly close-up. The lens obviously gives some excellent results but, as you say, it's a pity that there is no sign of a forthcoming affordable 300 or 400 lens. It seems slightly strange to be going to 200mm from my present 300mm. I find the build issues with the lens surprising and rather disconcerting. As you say, I will have to think long and hard about whether I want to buy this lens.

Ron

The 50-200 is a great lens. I've taken some good photos with it of all sorts of wildlife. It works very well with the EC-14 and is OK for record shots with the EC-20. Mine's years old and I've never had a problem with the extending barrel. Any stiffness is usually down to the seals, which is something most manufacturers don't put in their lenses leavening them vulnerable to water and dust incursion.

Hi Steve. Thanks for your thorough and honest appraisal of the lens. You have some posted some excellent shots and I am especially impressed by the damselfly close-up. The lens obviously gives some excellent results but, as you say, it's a pity that there is no sign of a forthcoming affordable 300 or 400 lens. It seems slightly strange to be going to 200mm from my present 300mm. I find the build issues with the lens surprising and rather disconcerting. As you say, I will have to think long and hard about whether I want to buy this lens.

Ron

Thanks for your kind complements Ron. As I've said before, I always use the lens on a tripod with insects for sharpest results, though I know yourself and Cristian prefer to hand-hold. For what it's worth I don't think you'll see much loss in reach between 300mm and 283mm.

Regarding build/image quality, all the reviews I've read state that this lens is at least as good optically as comparable lenses from Canon/Nikon, even from users who use two systems. My build quality 'issues' might be unfounded, and isn't it why we pay insurance afterall-to protect against accidental damage? I haven't heard many other reports of poor build on 4/3 forums about this lens, other than the odd sticking seal similar to mine. Thankfully their customer service is good.

When I bought an Olympus DSLR it was mainly on the strength of their lenses, and the fact that you get a lot of kit for your money. I didn't, if I'm honest, ever think I would consider paying this much for a lens, but this is a common mistake in under-estimating future needs and the amount you might be prepared to spend on enhancing your 'arsenal' further down the line.

As I already own this lens, I'm now left wondering where to go from here for extra reach. I like the pictures I'm getting from this lens, but considering that both the above pictures of small birds were extremely close (about 8 feet) I don't feel it has enough reach for most of my needs where the subject is a little further away.

Where Olympus let themselves down, and their customers IMO, is that they don't maximize on their major advantage which is their 2x crop factor, which as you know means you get considerably more reach than the competitors from an equivalent length lens. Imagine a lens like Canon's 400 f5.6 prime specifically made for Olympus cameras. Now that would level the playing field considerably!

Perhaps when Oly introduce their next flagship body, they will also bring out some more (long) lenses? As they did with the E3. If I ever do switch over to a Canon 300 or 400 lens, I would still consider keeping this lens for short range work, as I like it so much. I am put off though, by the prospect of buying and upgrading 2 sets of bodies. It's certainly worth watching what Olympus do in the next year or two.

Steve

Last edited:
I would agree that the 50-200 is great lens for macro, but, IMHO, 70-300 is also a great lens for macro. I wouldn't buy 50-200 for macro. I really don't think that it is an important difference in IQ quality for macro pics between these two lens. This because 70-300 has a greater magnification power and the ability to focus at about 0.9 meters in manual mode. Also the macro pics are taken at small apertures (great f numbers), so the maximum aperture of the lens it isn't so relevant. But for birds, if you make a comparison between 70-300 and 50-200 + EC-14, you'll find out the the last combo provide a better IQ image.

For example, here is a macro shot taken with E-520 and 70-300 (using the built-in flash):
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/270619/ppuser/54311

Last edited:
I have finally given in to temptation and bought one one of these lenses. It arrived safely a few minutes ago and is sitting here in its huge box. It is certainly a very substantial piece of kit. I was nudged into buying one by the £60 Olympus Cash Back offer which expires at the end of the month and a good price from Argos.

I am looking forward to trying it on the camera tonight and will be interested to see if it fits my Think Tank holster, although I think that is a bit optimistic. I like using a holster with a belt as it takes the weight off my shoulders and stops the camera and binoculars bumping into each other. I intend to use it with the tripod mount removed, which will save a little weight. I am still not sure whether to get a protection filter or not. The lens is quite well protected by the enormous hood but I have had the lens cap come off my 70-300 when it is in the bag with the hood reversed and I wouldn't want that to damage the front element on the new lens.

I am still not sure whether it was a wise decision to buy one or not but looking at Cristian's excellent photos has convinced me that it is capable of some excellent results with the EC-14. I hope I haven't wasted my money!

Ron

Hi Ron,
Another pro would be that you'll have a good lens for portrait shots (using it without converter). I've taken some portrait shots with my children, my wife, some friends etc and I'm very pleased with the results. Some samples here.

Attachments

• PC262636m.jpg
    PC262636m.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 124
  • PC262664m.jpg
    PC262664m.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 113
  • PC262685m.jpg
    PC262685m.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 140
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back