• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking To Put A New Tree In to draw birds (1 Viewer)

nhoj

I would like to know what would be the top rated tree to put in your backyard to have birds come?

I live in Northwest Ohio near Toledo.

I would like this tree to give shade, but a light shade. A tree that would get 30 to 40 foot tall. This tree would be near my patio.

I would like to see Ceder Waxwings and wrens along with other birds in my backyard.

Do you have any ideals?

Great question! I am also looking for a tree that almost exactly matches your request! I will grab some popcorn and watch this thread for any suggestions.

I live in Northeastern Ohio and would also like a tree that grows fast, lol.

Little bit west of there. One suggestion might be serviceberry tree. Native to most of eastern north america. Goes by other names like juneberry, and shadbush too. Robust and low maintenence. Flowers early, reminisent of white dogwood. Produces tasty berries that drives variety of birds to distraction. Had some growing wild on family farm, cedar waxwings were crazy for them. Looks nice in fall as colors change.

Downside might be multi-trunk, they grow and cover low. Could deprive grass directly below required sunlight.
Probably only work needed might be pruning periodically for above situation.

We used to have some sort of wild cherry tree that Robins liked. I can't remember the details. I was a young self-involved teenager at the time. It did have a large pit and made a bit of a mess of the yard. However it got very tall and if I remember right it didn't limb out too low.

Not sure your going to come up with anything that tall and berries which is what Waxwings would like. Wrens like bushy stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back