• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa - Ts-1?? (1 Viewer)

Skomer

I own an old Kowa scope with a thin red band around it between the focus ring and tripod mount. The focus ring has No.8 stamped on it.
The eyepiece has TS-1 25X TS-2 and TS-3 20X written on it.
My colleague has the same scope but his has a thin green band around it.
Does anyone know what model of scope we have and what is the magnification?

The Kowa TS-1 was a 60mm/angled, the TS-2 a 60mm/straight, the TS-3 a 50mm/straight which focused at the eyepiece and the TS-4 a 50mm/angled. If your scope has a 60mm objective the magnification is 25X. I once had a TS-2, rebadged as a Bushnell which had a red band. I don't know what the green band means unless it was used either on the angled or perhaps the 50mm models. To complicate matters there were also other variations (TS-5 - TS-7) with different types of focusing and shorter overall lengths. The TS-1 and 2 were long, 16"-17".

henry link said:
The Kowa TS-1 was a 60mm/angled, the TS-2 a 60mm/straight, the TS-3 a 50mm/straight which focused at the eyepiece and the TS-4 a 50mm/angled. If your scope has a 60mm objective the magnification is 25X. I once had a TS-2, rebadged as a Bushnell which had a red band. I don't know what the green band means unless it was used either on the angled or perhaps the 50mm models. To complicate matters there were also other variations (TS-5 - TS-7) with different types of focusing and shorter overall lengths. The TS-1 and 2 were long, 16"-17".

Thanks for the reply,
It seems my scope is a TS-2 - it's definately a 60mm lens and badged KOWA despite this thin red band. I assume then that it's 25x magnification. The scope isn't 'straight' - the first 4" or so where the eyepiece screws into which also houses the focus ring(no.8) sits slightly higher(but parallell) to the remaining 12".

Re : Kowa

Skomer said:
I own an old Kowa scope with a thin red band around it between the focus ring and tripod mount. The focus ring has No.8 stamped on it.
The eyepiece has TS-1 25X TS-2 and TS-3 20X written on it.
My colleague has the same scope but his has a thin green band around it.
Does anyone know what model of scope we have and what is the magnification?

Skomer - I think you'll find the green band Kowa T2 means it has a better eye piece (typically 20-50x zoom) whilst the red band is a more limited eye piece (probably only 20x).

Broadsword said:
Skomer - I think you'll find the green band Kowa T2 means it has a better eye piece (typically 20-50x zoom) whilst the red band is a more limited eye piece (probably only 20x).

I've got a Kowa TSN-4. It has a thin red band which means it has flourite (ED) glass. The equivalent TSN-2, which is identical in appearance apart from the red band does not have this better quality glass.

In fact I though this was true of all Kowa scopes, i.e. the red band denoted ED/fluorite coated optics. This is true of the current batch of scope sin the TSN-660 series too.

trealawboy said:
I've got a Kowa TSN-4. It has a thin red band which means it has flourite (ED) glass. The equivalent TSN-2, which is identical in appearance apart from the red band does not have this better quality glass.

In fact I though this was true of all Kowa scopes, i.e. the red band denoted ED/fluorite coated optics. This is true of the current batch of scope sin the TSN-660 series too.

'Fraid that's not the case.

I have a TS-601, non-fluorite (for sale in the classifieds BTW) which has a red band on it. See
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=23699

My TSN-663 (ED glass) has a red band on it too. Don't think the band has anything to do with ED or plain vanilla glass.

Duncan.

I have a TS7--and very good it is too, even if it is a bit of a museum piece now! It has the angled body but not the rather ugly 'lump' shape that some of the early Kowas had. I don't know if it's got a red ring or not 'cos I covered it in masking tape to improve the waterproofing!
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back