• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Prominar" Scope dilemma (1 Viewer)

Maestro

I'm hoping I made a correct purchase on Ebay..a listing for a
Prominar 60mm Spotting scope w/25x in what looks like excellent
condition which I won at $130 from an asking price of $150. My
dilemma is I have not been able to find anything about a "Prominar"
scope anywhere on the net so I assumed it was listed as such
simply because of it's age and that it was what would eventually
become KOWA/Prominar or the seller simply missed the KOWA name?

My main concern is if it's a fully multi-coated and a step up from my excellent Bushnell Imageview 50mm which is multi-coated but not *fully*

Prominar is the designation Kowa give to thier scopes fitted with ED glass objectives. If it's a 60mm prominar I would expect it to be a TSN-613 (angled) or TSN-614 (straight). I would have hoped that the seller would have given a bit better description. Do you have the item number?

IF, and I stress IF, it's a TSN-614/614 I would expect it to give a noticeably better view than a non-ED glass 50mm Bushnell.

Regards,

Duncan.

Duncan is right, The Kowa Prominar scopes were top of the range in their day and were the scope of choice amongst many birders back in the late 80's / early 90's. At $130 I think you've done well and won't be disappointed.

Darrell

Darrell Clegg said:
Duncan is right, The Kowa Prominar scopes were top of the range in their day and were the scope of choice amongst many birders back in the late 80's / early 90's. At $130 I think you've done well and won't be disappointed.

Darrell

Thanks everyone for the info,I'd be very surprised and happy if it has the ED glass but contented if it's only the fully multi-coated version. I going to try and upload one of the ad photo's of it with this message in case anyone recognizes it's vintage.

Attachments

• Prominar.jpg
    Prominar.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 391
Good news is that it's a Kowa from the very early 80's, which were excellent scopes in their day similar optics to the Bushnell Spacemaster (only better). The bad news is that as far as I'm aware the flourite glass scopes, by Kowa, didn't make an appearance until the late 80's the first of which were the TSN3/4's.
At $130 dollars though I'd have bought it.

Mark

M N Reeder said:
Good news is that it's a Kowa from the very early 80's, which were excellent scopes in their day similar optics to the Bushnell Spacemaster (only better). The bad news is that as far as I'm aware the flourite glass scopes, by Kowa, didn't make an appearance until the late 80's the first of which were the TSN3/4's.
At $130 dollars though I'd have bought it.

Mark

My Bushnell Imageview 50mm is a step up from the Spacemaster series but a step below the Elite naturally but still, moving to a 60mm will certainly be a step in the right direction.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back