• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confusing Kowa model numbers and politics (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Is there any consistency in the designations of the Kowa scopes? I find the various designations somewhat confusing. At first, I thought the first two numbers gave the objective diameter in millimeters, but then it seems that a 613 has a 60 mm front lens? Are the even last digits always straight scopes, the uneven ones for angled scopes? And is a 1 or 2 in the last digit for conventional glass, 3 and 4 for ED glass?

Next question, where are the 603 scopes already available? It seems that the introduction has not yet happened in many parts of the world. Or rather that this model is not even a (official) topic yet. At least, it is not on the EO website, and it is also not in the catalog available in Switzerland.

And at last, as 603 seems to be a replacement for 613, is there only a difference in the body (metal vs compound plastics)? Or are there optical differences as well? In a way, I get the impression that Kowa does not want their models to be easily compared with each other. The one recent experience I have had with a compact Kowa scope (ED glass) would mean that at least SOME of their products are excellent. So one might want to be able to tell whether they all are or how one can distinguish them relatively easily. Other brands, like Nikon have clearly differing designations for the various product lines. So I know right away, that the Fieldscope line is the top line. And within that line, the ED is clearly stated, not hidden behind some number.

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
Is there any consistency in the designations of the Kowa scopes? I find the various designations somewhat confusing.
Hi Robert,

Yes, they are mostly consistent just like you had concluded but there is a "seed of confusion" in their naming history. I don't have as good archives as Henry Link, but here is how I remember seeing /using several Kowa models during my years of birdwatching.

TS-1: Long, grey, angled 60mm scope made of heavy chunk of aluminum ("lead-Kowa"). Popular shooting scope from the 70's. I still have one.
TS-601: A modernized waterproof version of the above. Metal body. Bayonet mount (IIRC).
TSN-1/2/3/4: "New" large 77mm body. 1 & 3 angled - 2 & 4 straight - 3 & 4 had a fluorite lens. Fluorite models were also called "Prominar". Late 80's or early 90's.
TSN-611/612/613/614: Compact, lightweight 60mm models made of thin composite. Kowa's marketing probably thought that the TSN was not enough to distinguish the new models from the older TS-601 and thus named them TSN-61X. The only exception from the "front lens diameter "-logic (60mm objective). Probably too fast f-ratio for achromats, the ED-613/4 were IMO much better (same with the large TSN-82X, which was soon "upgraded" to 82XM... like armored?).
TSN-601-604: The 61X had a reputation of being fragile (at least here) and may have been a reason why (yet again) a new product line "TSN-60X" was introduced. This time the body feels more substantial composite. 60mm objective.
TSN-661-664: Corresponding 66mm models.

In my experience the achromat TS-1 and TS-601 (and TSN-3/4) were optically excellent and mechanically very good. Also the ED/Fluorite 61X and 82X were optically brilliant, but their body material didn't feel as durable. If the 60X has a more durable body than the 61X, I have no doubts about their optical excellence (at least with fixed eyepieces).

Regards,

Ilkka

iporali said:
Hi Robert,

Yes, they are mostly consistent just like you had concluded but there is a "seed of confusion" in their naming history. I don't have as good archives as Henry Link, but here is how I remember seeing /using several Kowa models during my years of birdwatching.

TS-1: Long, grey, angled 60mm scope made of heavy chunk of aluminum ("lead-Kowa"). Popular shooting scope from the 70's. I still have one.
TS-601: A modernized waterproof version of the above. Metal body. Bayonet mount (IIRC).
TSN-1/2/3/4: "New" large 77mm body. 1 & 3 angled - 2 & 4 straight - 3 & 4 had a fluorite lens. Fluorite models were also called "Prominar". Late 80's or early 90's.
TSN-611/612/613/614: Compact, lightweight 60mm models made of thin composite. Kowa's marketing probably thought that the TSN was not enough to distinguish the new models from the older TS-601 and thus named them TSN-61X. The only exception from the "front lens diameter "-logic (60mm objective). Probably too fast f-ratio for achromats, the ED-613/4 were IMO much better (same with the large TSN-82X, which was soon "upgraded" to 82XM... like armored?).
TSN-601-604: The 61X had a reputation of being fragile (at least here) and may have been a reason why (yet again) a new product line "TSN-60X" was introduced. This time the body feels more substantial composite. 60mm objective.
TSN-661-664: Corresponding 66mm models.

In my experience the achromat TS-1 and TS-601 (and TSN-3/4) were optically excellent and mechanically very good. Also the ED/Fluorite 61X and 82X were optically brilliant, but their body material didn't feel as durable. If the 60X has a more durable body than the 61X, I have no doubts about their optical excellence (at least with fixed eyepieces).

Regards,

Ilkka

Thanks, Ilkka, for this fine summary. It has been quite helpful. I had looked through a zoom eyepiece and liked it as well. But there was no time for comparisons.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back