• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 65 w/Orion Epic ED EP's (1 Viewer)

PTPIER

Anyone have any experience with using the Orion Epic ED-2 series EP's with the Pentax 65? From the specs they appear to be a very nice affordable match. For example, their 14mm (they offer 3.7mm - 25mm) offers 28x with 20mm ER, 1.97 True FOV (104' @ 1000 yds), and 2.3 exit pupil if my calculations are correct. Any "dust" issues to speak of?
Thanks,
Paul

Size of Epics

You asked about the size of the Epics.

Here is a picture of my Orion Lanthanum (think Epic v.1) compared to other eyepieces recommended on this board. Left is Plossl 40mm, the biggest plossl. Right is a typical Stratus. Center is the largest of the Epic v.1 (my 2.3 Lanthanum).

If you look at the picture on the Orion website of the Epic ED-2's (http://www.telescope.com/shopping/p...=PRODUCT&iMainCat=6&iSubCat=36&iProductID=212), you will see that the high power Epics are larger. Since you are using the Pentax 65, you won't be using anything more powerful than the Epic 7.5mm anyways. The low to medium power Epics are much smaller and gives you very good eye relief; better than any Expanse and more constant across the whole line.

Attachments

• DSCF3451.JPG
    DSCF3451.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Can Popper said:
You asked about the size of the Epics.

Here is a picture of my Orion Lanthanum (think Epic v.1) compared to other eyepieces recommended on this board. Left is Plossl 40mm, the biggest plossl. Right is a typical Stratus. Center is the largest of the Epic v.1 (my 2.3 Lanthanum).

If you look at the picture on the Orion website of the Epic ED-2's (http://www.telescope.com/shopping/p...=PRODUCT&iMainCat=6&iSubCat=36&iProductID=212), you will see that the high power Epics are larger. Since you are using the Pentax 65, you won't be using anything more powerful than the Epic 7.5mm anyways. The low to medium power Epics are much smaller and gives you very good eye relief; better than any Expanse and more constant.

Great Stuff! My scope (Pentax 65) and 3180BN Tripod set are due to arrive Monday. I already have a 26mm Plossl which will give me 15x with 18mm ER and TFOV of 3.33° (175' @1000 yds) which I'll test. Then I plan to purchase the Orion Epic ED 14mm giving me 28x and 1.97° TFOV and try one of the EWA's, probably the 9mm @43x. Hopefully from them I should have a good range of EP's to compare results. Thanks for your help.
Paul

PTPIER said:
Anyone have any experience with using the Orion Epic ED-2 series EP's with the Pentax 65? From the specs they appear to be a very nice affordable match. For example, their 14mm (they offer 3.7mm - 25mm) offers 28x with 20mm ER, 1.97 True FOV (104' @ 1000 yds), and 2.3 exit pupil if my calculations are correct. Any "dust" issues to speak of?
Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Just curious if you ended up getting that Orion Epic ED-2 eyepiece and, if so, what do you think about its performance versus the others? It seems like a tempting option, with better eye-relief and only $15 more than the Expanse.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back