• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which one? (1 Viewer)

stevetb

let me begin by saying i find kowa very confusing, because they use similar names for different models, eg TS + TSN. theres TSN 1/2/3/4 ,ts series all with different numbers, but i dont know the difference because there is no info as they are old models. What is the difference? does anyone have a link to info/specifications on all of the older kowa scopes? i noticed this on infocus' website "Kowa TS 602 with 27x eyepiece £149.00 (S)" is it similar to this one?http://www.kowascope.com/frontend/proddetail.asp?pn=TSN-602&co=10000329. would the image from this be superior to an opticron IS 60 + fixed IS e/p? also would you be able to put the new eyepieces on the kowa?

Last edited:
AC/DC said:
let me begin by saying i find kowa very confusing...

You are certainly not alone ;)
I have discussed about Kowa model numbers here
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=50519

Basically the only consistent logic is in the last number:
1 & 3 = angled
2 & 4 = straight
1 & 2 = "normal" glass
3 & 4 = ED/Fluorite glass, "Prominar"

The TS602 is an older model than the TSN602 - a very good one actually. But they often make mistakes with "TS/TSN" designations, so I can't say for sure. The newer 60+mm TSN models are very short and compact - and IMO benefit very much from ED/fluorite glass. However, with a TS602 (if it is in good condition) I could probably live with its normal achromat. If I remember correctly, the 27x eyepiece is wide-angled, but has a very short eye-relief (= not very good with spectacles). I can't remember about the cross compatibility of the bayonets - with the larger models you usually can use old ep's with new scopes but not vice versa.

Ilkka

AC/DC said:
let me begin by saying i find kowa very confusing, because they use similar names for different models, eg TS + TSN. theres TSN 1/2/3/4 ,ts series all with different numbers, but i dont know the difference because there is no info as they are old models. What is the difference? does anyone have a link to info/specifications on all of the older kowa scopes? i noticed this on infocus' website "Kowa TS 602 with 27x eyepiece £149.00 (S)" is it similar to this one?http://www.kowascope.com/frontend/proddetail.asp?pn=TSN-602&co=10000329. would the image from this be superior to an opticron IS 60 + fixed IS e/p? also would you be able to put the new eyepieces on the kowa?

Re TSN scopes,
TSN,1&2 Angled & straight none fluorite glass, TSN,3&4 Angled & straight fitted with fluorite glass these are old scopes but the TSN 3&4 are very good
I use the tsn4 and have done for quite some time. I think you,ll find the Kowa TS 602 you mentioned is straight none fluorite glass. Hope this helps regards.
Stan.

AC/DC said:
ok cheers. so whats the difference between a ts 601 and a ts 611?
I don't think there has been a TS-611 - it probably should have been a TSN-611. The TSN-611 was a very small, lightweight scope made of some kind of glass fiber reinforced (?) composite. The TS-601 was physically longer, heavier and made of aluminum. I haven't compared them side by side, but I would say the older TS-601 had better optics. The 613 would most probably be even better due to ED glass, but the composite body feels a little fragile to me.

Ilkka

if the ts-601/2 where long and aluminium, i dont think i'll be going for one of them, id rather have a more 'modern' scope. any comments on the ts 611/2?

because this is described as a mid range scope, will it be optically better than budget scopes like mighty midget 2's, Opticron IS's and bushnell trophy's?

AC/DC said:
because this is described as a mid range scope, will it be optically better than budget scopes like mighty midget 2's, Opticron IS's and bushnell trophy's?
I don't know the Opticrons or Bushnells very well, but I think the Kowa is better than the MM2 (50mm) but not necessarily any better than the other 60mm "budget" scopes. I would even call the TS-611 a budget scope.

Ilkka

i know its not great compared with scopes like ED fieldscopes from nikon or HR66ed's, but has anyone got a comparison between this scope and a budget scope?

In the last couple of weeks saw a Kowa 612 in an Ebay shop with 20x eyepiece, box and instructions for £99 buy it now. Funny thing is there were no takers until it was offered in an open auction. Think it fetched £128 then. Amazing how much less the straight scopes seem to go for. A week or so earlier got a 613 from Ffordes; great helpful service and price. (Must get round to sending them a thankyou email some time).

Quacker said:
Just buy the TS613 angled, flouride c/w 27xW lightweight and awesome.

Thanks for the platform ;-)

When I bought my TS 613 ten years ago, my retailer said the TSN-eyepieces were better than the TS-eyepieces. So I bought the TSN-30x WA eyepiece in stead of the 27x TS eyepiece. The TSN-30x eyepiece gave a noticeably better view. But maybe the newer eyepieces are still better than the older TSN-eyepieces?

Just to raise a question without starting a new thread.

The two that are giving me a headache are the TSN600 series and the TSN660 series. Which one is newer?
Looking on Warehouse they are both priced virtually the same so if one was to buy one then which is better, I know the 660 has a slightly bigger objective but does that make enough of a difference?
For arguments sake lets just stick to the ED models.

Anyone know?
Jaff

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back