• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kintyre Birds (1 Viewer)

I think Eiders, like most ducks, are just plain horny. I notice that at least one of them has very good borealis-type scapular sails, a favourite theme from Torry of course.

I think Eiders, like most ducks, are just plain horny. I notice that at least one of them has very good borealis-type scapular sails, a favourite theme from Torry of course.

You're going to have to help me out here, Andrew. Which photo, which duck, what are scapular sails, and what is the significance of borealis?

I've seen the comments in Birds fae Torry, but have never understood what you were all banging on about. Maybe now I'll find out.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

You're going to have to help me out here, Andrew. Which photo, which duck, what are scapular sails, and what is the significance of borealis?

I've seen the comments in Birds fae Torry, but have never understood what you were all banging on about. Maybe now I'll find out.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

The third picture maybe shows it best. Look at the drake in the front centre that's sideways on and looking towards the female. He has a pair of obvious white 'sails' on his back, a bit like on a fairy cake. These aren't normally found on British birds but are usually present on birds of the northern borealis subspecies, which breeds in areas like Greenland. It seems that a small proportion of British birds do show these though, so it's perhaps not as diagnostic of borealis as was once thought.

The third picture maybe shows it best. Look at the drake in the front centre that's sideways on and looking towards the female. He has a pair of obvious white 'sails' on his back, a bit like on a fairy cake. These aren't normally found on British birds but are usually present on birds of the northern borealis subspecies, which breeds in areas like Greenland. It seems that a small proportion of British birds do show these though, so it's perhaps not as diagnostic of borealis as was once thought.

Andrew, thanks for this info. Much appreciated. "Birds of Britain and Europe" states that S.m. borealis has a yellow/orange bill. Are you and your Aberdeen pals suggesting that the birds you are seeing with scapular sails are hybrids with borealis?

Best wishes,
Dave

Andrew, thanks for this info. Much appreciated. "Birds of Britain and Europe" states that S.m. borealis has a yellow/orange bill. Are you and your Aberdeen pals suggesting that the birds you are seeing with scapular sails are hybrids with borealis?

Best wishes,
Dave

There may be some pure borealis about in the northeast, but I and others suspect that most birds showing sails are hybrids or intergrades. There's a lot more about borealis ID here, although maybe it's a little out of date now:
http://www.birdsireland.com/pages/site_pages/features/eider/eider.html

There may be some pure borealis about in the northeast, but I and others suspect that most birds showing sails are hybrids or intergrades. There's a lot more about borealis ID here, although maybe it's a little out of date now:

Interesting, Andrew, and thank you for that URL. Good illustrations too. There is little sign of an orange bill in the Kintyre birds, but the sails are definitely there. So - they occur in Aberdeen and in Kintyre. Do you have information from other parts of the country about these sailed eiders and the significance, if any, thereof? I guess the thing to do is start looking for an orange beak as well.

I'll keep my eye on Birds fae Torry to see what you come up with.

Best wishes,
Dave

Interesting, Andrew, and thank you for that URL. Good illustrations too. There is little sign of an orange bill in the Kintyre birds, but the sails are definitely there. So - they occur in Aberdeen and in Kintyre. Do you have information from other parts of the country about these sailed eiders and the significance, if any, thereof? I guess the thing to do is start looking for an orange beak as well.

I'll keep my eye on Birds fae Torry to see what you come up with.

Best wishes,
Dave

The first one I ever saw had a very bright orange bill, but otherwise the ones I've seen in Aberdeen are within the normal range of British Eiders. Eiders with sails have certainly been reported in the Western and Northern Isles and, as the Martin Garner article illustrates, Ireland. I expect that scrutiny of any Eider flocks in the UK and Ireland will eventually reveal a few.

Diver puzzle - any offers on ID?

OK, here we go again. Your turn, this time, for I don't see why I should do all the work. Here are two pics taken at maximum range for my wee camera. I think it's a Great Northern Diver just coming into its summer plumage. But I really can't be sure. So any opinions as to the ID of this bird would be welcome.

The bird was in the little bay by the wee white house west of Machrihanish. See post#79 (photo 5) for the location.

Date: 20th April 2009

Thanks for your help,
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• dk 939.jpg
    dk 939.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 62
  • dk 942.jpg
    dk 942.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
The first one I ever saw had a very bright orange bill, but otherwise the ones I've seen in Aberdeen are within the normal range of British Eiders. Eiders with sails have certainly been reported in the Western and Northern Isles and, as the Martin Garner article illustrates, Ireland. I expect that scrutiny of any Eider flocks in the UK and Ireland will eventually reveal a few.

Thanks, Andrew.....

All this has been most informative, and next time I'm in UK I'll take a much more careful look at eiders. The Clyde Estuary and West Highlands are full of them, so who knows, maybe other readers will start looking too.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Kintyre Birds & other things

If you've never visited Kintyre, give it some thought. It's very beautiful, and offers excellent birding. Within its relatively small area there is a fabulous coastline with rock and sandy shores, sea cliffs and tidal shallows. A mountainous spine with moorland and coniferous plantations runs down the centre of the peninsula. Broad green farmlands offer refuge to thousands of winter geese. Forests and woodland line the streams and hillslopes, offering great birding opportunities. Seals, deer, otter and other wildlife are frequently encountred, and there is now a newly established walk, the Kintyre Way, starting in Tarbert at the northern end of the peninsula. Kintyre is rich in history as well, from the standing stones of Ballochroy to Bruce's castle in Tarbert to the ancient fortification of Kildonan Dun. Have a look at Post#79, which will give you many of the locations I mention.

Here's a small sample of Kintyre, with a bias towards birding.

The first photograph (4th April 2009) shows Wigeon on the Kildalloig shore. Kintyre in winter hosts many ducks, as well as the geese mentioned in the paragraph above. Mallard, Shelduck, Teal, Long-tailed Duck, Wigeon, Eider and others can be found.

Carradale is a pleasant little fishing village on the east coast of Kintyre. The second photograph shows a really relaxed Herring Gull enjoying the sunshine on the quayside (5th April 2009). And then, on the same day, there's a nice little Black Guillemot bobbing about the harbour. Of all the auks these seem to stay closest inshore, often in or around harbours and piers. There were three of them in Carradale harbour that day. They can also be found around the NATO refuelling pier on the southern shore of Campbeltown Loch.

Picture No. 4 was a bit of a surprise. I was sitting on the rocks (6th April 2009) supporting the Kennacraig jetty, from where the ferry departs for Islay, when this little fellow came along. I didn't even know what it was. He showed no fear of me whatsoever, foraging in and out of the rocks and in and out of the sea. I had to sneak into a bookshop in Tarbert and thumb through a Mammals book to discover that my small friend was a Mink.

On my way off the jetty I found this fine Curlew probing for food in the tidal shallows of West Loch Tarbert.

More to follow.

Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• dk 101.jpg
    dk 101.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 50
  • dk 122.jpg
    dk 122.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 38
  • dk 125.jpg
    dk 125.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 45
  • dk 153.jpg
    dk 153.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 50
  • dk 165.jpg
    dk 165.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 38
Machrihanish, and the Seabird & Wildlife Observatory on rocky Uisaed Point, are among the best areas in Kintyre for seabird/duck/wader watching. Post #79 above shows the location using Google Earth. To get to the bird observatory, simply drive through Machrihanish until the road swings to the left past a small white bungalow looking out onto a neat little bay. Just a short way past the cottage a gravel track signposted 'The Gauldrons' turns off to the right and runs past Stirling University's Marine Biological Research Station. Drive to the end of the Research Station, turn right, and park your car. You will see the Observatory in front of you. The shore hosts Ringed Plovers and Oystercatchers, and the offshore rocks Herring and Black-backed Gulls, Cormorants and Shags, with occasional exciting visitors like Purple Sandpipers. Spring and Autumn bring many passage migrants flying North or South along the Sound, and some of the best sightings in the area have been made at these times. Divers, Auks, Shearwaters, Petrels, Skuas, all are recorded here. Ducks include Mallard, Shelduck, Eider, Long-tailed Duck, Red-breasted Merganser, with occasional Scaup and Wigeon.

Land birds include Hooded Crow, Wheatear, Starling, Rock Pipit, Twite, Linnet, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, even (in season) occasional Snow Bunting.

The Observatory is usually manned from around the end of March to October, and visitors are welcome. Various research and photographic projects are carried out at the Observatory, which has records of birds seen since 1993. In that time some fine specials have been recorded, such as White-billed Diver: Cory's, Great, and Mediterranean Shearwaters: King Eider, Dotterel and Red-necked Phalarope.

During my latest visit in April 2009 the warden, Eddie Maguire, was digiscoping ringed Twites, and e-mailing the pictures off to an ongoing Twite research project. If you get the opportunity, go and have a look - it is well worth it.

Here are some pictures to introduce you to the place.

The first picture shows the wee white house and the bay. Wild goats and rabbits keep the grass nice and short, and just a short way behind me as I took the picture was Machrihanish's Watership Down, a large and busy rabbit warren. The birds in the bay can be shy - I sneaked up flat on my belly until I could see into the bay, after which I managed to get some reasonable photos with relatively simple equipment (i.e a 2004 vintage Fuji Finepix S5000).

The second photograph shows the Observatory. If the flag is flying it's usually a good sign that Eddie is about, or at least that he'll be along a little later.

Then we have a ringed Twite. Even on my wee camera the ring pattern - dark blue/white/ light blue - can be clearly seen if you blow up the picture, and the equipment in the Observatory could fill the monitor screen with just the rings alone. This information, along with date/time/place etc. was being despatched to the Twite research project.

Every now and then, while sitting in the hide, something special comes along, and here came one of the Observatory specials - a beautiful otter, swimming past on some secret mission of his own. Often they climb out onto the weed-covered rocks, but this one sank beneath the surface and simply vanished. Otters are seen approximately one day in three at the Observatory.

The last photograph shows a fine Hooded Crow foraging in the seaweed tangle on the beach of the little bay. These crows more or less replace the Carrion Crow in Western Scotland.

http://www.machrihanishbirds.org.uk/

I'll post some more about the Machrihanish area shortly.

Best wishes

Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• The bay with the wee white house.jpg
    The bay with the wee white house.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Seabird & Wildlife Observatory.jpg
    Seabird & Wildlife Observatory.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Ringed Twite.jpg
    Ringed Twite.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 55
  • Otter swims past the Observatory.jpg
    Otter swims past the Observatory.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Hooded Crow.jpg
    Hooded Crow.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Will do Dave, I'll be onboard ship working just off Davaar and alongside from 17.00hrs each day, so hope the weather is OK for walking each evening.

ATB

Stewart

Right, then, back to Machrihanish and its wildlife. Mammals seen by us in the area include otter, seal, rabbit, wild goat, and stoat (which we saw catching a rabbit). Birds which we have seen (depending upon season) include, inter alia, Oystercatcher, Sandwich Tern, Arctic Skua, Greater Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Common Gull, Manx Shearwater, Gannet, Twite, Goldfinch, Linnet, Wheatear, Peregrine, Whimbrel, Shelduck, Long-tailed Duck, Mallard, Eider, Great Northern Diver, Hooded Crow, Starling, Rock Pipit, Redshank, Ringed Plover, Guillemot, Razorbill, Shag, Cormorant, Pied Wagtail, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Greenfinch, and Wigeon. Records from the Observatory include, besides the above, Purple Sandpiper, Red-throated Diver, Black Guillemot, and Golden Eagle, with regular passage migrants such as Storm Petrel, Sooty Shearwater, Black-throated Diver, Scaup, Golden Plover, White-fronted, Barnacle, Brent and Greylag Geese. Uisaed Point is at its best when strong west to north-west winds force the birds closer to shore.

This series of photographs ranges from the little bay in front of Machrihanish village, past the small bay with the wee white house, to the Observatory on Uisaed Point.

The first picture shows a common seal dozing on a rock in the bay. They don't look like much when you see them like this......but come when the blood runs hot and the seals are courting, and you will see a swimming display of such fire and athleticism that you will be astonished.

In the second photograph, again in the little bay, there was some serious interaction between three duck species, mallard, eider and shelduck. If any of you have any insight as to why they seemed to be disputing that small pool, please respond.

Next, there is a small group of rather distant Sandwich Terns dozing on a rock under the benign gaze of an idle seal. This rock is on the western side of the little bay in front of Machrihanish village, and is used by the terns every year.

The fourth picture was taken from the Observatory, and shows Goldfinch and Twite. The pink rump of the male Twite is clearly visible.

Finally, there are (if you look carefully), three and a half Whimbrels and an Oystercatcher relaxing in the little bay with the wee white house. Whimbrel are passage migrants through this area.

All the photographs were taken in April 2009.

It's a superb area, and well worth investigating.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• 1 Common Seal.jpg
    1 Common Seal.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 2 Duck scrum - Eider, Shelduck & Mallard in the bay.jpg
    2 Duck scrum - Eider, Shelduck & Mallard in the bay.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 3 Sandwich Terns in front of Machrihanish Village.jpg
    3 Sandwich Terns in front of Machrihanish Village.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 4 Twite and Goldfinch - male twite shows pink rump.jpg
    4 Twite and Goldfinch - male twite shows pink rump.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 5 Whimbrels in the bay.jpg
    5 Whimbrels in the bay.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Right, then, back to Machrihanish and its wildlife. Mammals seen by us in the area include otter, seal, rabbit, wild goat, and stoat (which we saw catching a rabbit). Birds which we have seen (depending upon season) include, inter alia, Oystercatcher, Sandwich Tern, Arctic Skua, Greater Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Common Gull, Manx Shearwater, Gannet, Twite, Goldfinch, Linnet, Wheatear, Peregrine, Whimbrel, Shelduck, Long-tailed Duck, Mallard, Eider, Great Northern Diver, Hooded Crow, Starling, Rock Pipit, Redshank, Ringed Plover, Guillemot, Razorbill, Shag, Cormorant, Pied Wagtail, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Greenfinch, and Wigeon. Records from the Observatory include, besides the above, Purple Sandpiper, Red-throated Diver, Black Guillemot, and Golden Eagle, with regular passage migrants such as Storm Petrel, Sooty Shearwater, Black-throated Diver, Scaup, Golden Plover, White-fronted, Barnacle, Brent and Greylag Geese. Uisaed Point is at its best when strong west to north-west winds force the birds closer to shore.

This series of photographs ranges from the little bay in front of Machrihanish village, past the small bay with the wee white house, to the Observatory on Uisaed Point.

The first picture shows a common seal dozing on a rock in the bay. They don't look like much when you see them like this......but come when the blood runs hot and the seals are courting, and you will see a swimming display of such fire and athleticism that you will be astonished.

In the second photograph, again in the little bay, there was some serious interaction between three duck species, mallard, eider and shelduck. If any of you have any insight as to why they seemed to be disputing that small pool, please respond.

Next, there is a small group of rather distant Sandwich Terns dozing on a rock under the benign gaze of an idle seal. This rock is on the western side of the little bay in front of Machrihanish village, and is used by the terns every year.

The fourth picture was taken from the Observatory, and shows Goldfinch and Twite. The pink rump of the male Twite is clearly visible.

Finally, there are (if you look carefully), three and a half Whimbrels and an Oystercatcher relaxing in the little bay with the wee white house. Whimbrel are passage migrants through this area.

All the photographs were taken in April 2009.

It's a superb area, and well worth investigating.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy
Hi Dave,
I'm off upto Argyll in august for a week and will definatly be dropping in on Eddie at Machrahanish, its many years since i went up there and learned quite a bit off Eddie when we gave him a lift in the back of our car back to Cambletown (He can certainly talk)LoL
Your right about it being a great place for wildlife I'm disabled and although i cannot walk far the amount of wildlife spotted just from the car was amazing! This time i will be armed with lots of camera gear so hopefully bring back some shots.
Cheerio
Brian

Hi Dave,
I'm off upto Argyll in august for a week and will definatly be dropping in on Eddie at Machrahanish, its many years since i went up there and learned quite a bit off Eddie when we gave him a lift in the back of our car back to Cambletown (He can certainly talk)LoL
Your right about it being a great place for wildlife I'm disabled and although i cannot walk far the amount of wildlife spotted just from the car was amazing! This time i will be armed with lots of camera gear so hopefully bring back some shots.
Cheerio
Brian

Hello, Brian,

If you're using a wheelchair I think the Seabird Observatory is wheelchair-friendly - there is a good path linking the car park area with the observatory, and it's very close - only a few tens of metres at most.

Here is Eddie's e-mail address and cellphone number. It would be sensible to arrange a time for your visit when he will be at the Observatory.

machrihanishbirds 'AT' btinternet.com

I'll look forward to hearing about your visit. Let's hope the weather plays its part, too. If you haven't already done so, scan back through the previous postings on this forum, where you will find more information about birding (and other points of interest) in Kintyre

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Hi Dave,
Cheerio
Brian

Hi Brian,

There's a layby on the B843 just before the obs. that overlooks the bay and the open sea, about 100yds or so past the bus terminal and the last houses in the village. It's not as good as the obs., but if you have any problems in accessing the obs. (or it's closed) it's not a bad place to seawatch from the car. Likewise, if the wind is from the south, try seawatching from the coastal road from Campbeltown to Southend. Around Feochaig there are a couple of laybys that overlook the sea. The car park for Carskey Bay, just west of Southend, can be okay too.

Cheers
Jonathan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back