• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Herring Gull (1 Viewer)

Clements accepts this split. Gill and Wright and Howard and Moore do not. I therefore propose this page for deletion, with appropriate taxonomic notes under the main entry for Herring Gull. (which looks halfway decent already: "North American race smithsonianus, larger and paler than nominate and considered a separate species by some...")

Rasmus advised that for *Taxonomic* issues we should ignore Gill & Wright, as opposed to when we talked about naming issues. For Taxonomic issues, I think we should only change when there is a consensus between Clements and H&M; there is a disagreement between the two, and for that reason, I think we should go for status quo as far as possible. Given that there are two pages, one for American and one for other, I think that status quo equals going for having American as a separate species; that would necessitate editing the main entry for Herring gull, including changing the name (moving). In agreement with that view is that we currently have an entry for L michahellis, which as far as I know have about the same background for being split as American Herring Gull.

Cheers
Niels

PS: I think what I wrote above is analogous to what I did with the Three-toed woodpeckers that you flagged out in the previous thread (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=96542). I think it is excellent to have these flagged for consideration, just as the I think it was excellent that you flagged the Western Curve-billed Thrasher, just to mention one.

As discussed elsewhere, our original standard is Sibley & Monroe 1996; they and H&M 2003 lump smithsonianus with Larus argentatus (as Herring Gull).

Merge with Larus argentatus?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back