• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine vs goose (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
I've seen this a few times on the internet but never got a solid answer.
Would a peregrine kill a goose for food or any other reasons etc.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I've seen this a few times on the internet but never got a solid answer.
Would a peregrine kill a goose for food or any other reasons etc.

Peregrines seem to hunt for birds that are small and light enough to carry them away to eat them.

An adult goose probably would be too heavy for a peregrine, so I'd say the peregrine would normally not try to attack one.

I've seen a peregrine catch a Common Gull once, and while it was able to carry the gull in one foot, the Peregrine really landed straight away at the nearest point at the shore to eat it. A Common Gull weighs less than 500 g, while an adult goose might weigh more than five times as much.

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

Peregrines seem to hunt for birds that are small and light enough to carry them away to eat them.

An adult goose probably would be too heavy for a peregrine, so I'd say the peregrine would normally not try to attack one.

I've seen a peregrine catch a Common Gull once, and while it was able to carry the gull in one foot, the Peregrine really landed straight away at the nearest point at the shore to eat it. A Common Gull weighs less than 500 g, while an adult goose might weigh more than five times as much.

Regards,

Henning

Peregrines would have no trouble breaking a Goose's neck in a stoop, and diving to ground to eat the prey on the ground. They tend to carry prey when feeding young.

There is a record of a wild Peregrine knocking a Greylag Goose into the Solway but the goose recovered and flew off.

"The Peregrine Falcon, second edition" by Derek Ratcliffe will tell you pretty much everything you might want to know about wild Peregrines in Britain including prey species. It appears to be available relatively cheaply on Kindle.

However, as noted in one of your other threads, this forum is a place for discussion of wild birds, not falconry. Why not channel your obvious enthusiasm for these birds into learning about wild birds? Maybe in the future you will be able to contribute something towards our understanding of birds of prey and assist with their conservation. I think that would be far more rewarding than following through with your desire to own wild birds.

Maybe a little late but last winter somewhere at the shores of Zeeland, Netherlands, me and a couple college birders found a Barnacle goose killed by a Peregrine. The heart was gone and a part of the chest was eaten, the rest of the (poor) goose was intact..

One book I've read gives an account of a Peregrine Falcon taking out a GBB Gull - that's as big as a small/medium-size goose, and a much more dangerous quarry.

There is a record of a wild Peregrine knocking a Greylag Goose into the Solway but the goose recovered and flew off.

"The Peregrine Falcon, second edition" by Derek Ratcliffe will tell you pretty much everything you might want to know about wild Peregrines in Britain including prey species. It appears to be available relatively cheaply on Kindle.

However, as noted in one of your other threads, this forum is a place for discussion of wild birds, not falconry. Why not channel your obvious enthusiasm for these birds into learning about wild birds? Maybe in the future you will be able to contribute something towards our understanding of birds of prey and assist with their conservation. I think that would be far more rewarding than following through with your desire to own wild birds.

+ 1 :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back