Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Weaver Super Slam - an Interesting Oddity?

Old Friday 13th September 2019, 04:44   #1
John A Roberts

Weaver Super Slam - an Interesting Oddity?

In the Binocular Bargains thread, SteveTS recently posted about Weaver Super Slam 8.5x45’s that were on sale for $399 US, see: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=3840
These were a premium priced model produced briefly from around 2009

While they don’t have particularly attractive styling, they do have 2 unusual features

Firstly, there is an interesting implementation of the focuser location on an open bridge design
It’s attached to the front face of the rear bridge, so it’s like that of the later Zeiss SF - but without the SF’s secondary bridge in front of the focuser
see the attached images (the first is from: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thre...-8-5x45.64579/ )

Also of interest is the knob on the front bridge. It can be used to lock the IPD setting (in the page from the 2012 catalogue it’s incorrectly referred to as a focus lock!)
While a useful feature, it’s a much less sophisticated version of the one on early Zeiss Porro binoculars

The Zeiss design used a notch and an adjustable pin to record the IPD:
- the binocular could than be folded and put in it’s case, and
- when taken out and opened, the pin would fit into the notch at the set IPD
see the image from Anna & Terry Vacani’s website: http://www.binoculars-cinecollectors...onal_t_p2.html

While long out of fashion, it’s not an idea without merit, particularly as roof prism binoculars typically don’t include an IPD scale to enable checking the setting

And as an aside:
- on dual bridge designs like the Swarovski EL, it would be simple to place an IPD scale on the rear face of the front bridge for easy verification of the setting, and
- on other designs a scale could be placed on the front face of the bridge (a less convenient location than one visible from the rear while holding the binoculars, but nonetheless useful)

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weaver Super Slam.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	704699  Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2012 cat.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	704700  Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeiss Victory SF.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	704701  Click image for larger version

Name:	Specifications 2012.jpg
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	704702  Click image for larger version

Name:	IPD lock per the Vacani's.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	704703  

Last edited by John A Roberts : Friday 13th September 2019 at 07:17.
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 10:47   #2
John A Roberts

SteveTS PM’d about my post

He raised the point that ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’, and thinking about that led to me responding with the following:

‘Of course you’re right about the subjective appeal, but what irritates me when looking at the Super Slam is that it seems like an opportunity lost
- you can see a much better binocular in it, than the one they made

A) At it’s original price point aesthetics matter a great deal i.e. the idea that ‘you only get one chance to make a first impression’

B) The then unique ‘upside down’ placement of the focuser is a very good idea
The handling it makes possible should have been the main point in all the advertising - but the focuser placement and handling are not even mentioned!
(in contrast, think of the way Zeiss promoted the SF which externally is the same)

C) And with any open bridge design a high priority should be to maximise the size of the opening
But the knob of the IPD lock means that the front bridge is at least a 1/2” (c. 15 mm) further to the rear than it would otherwise need be, which would make a big difference for many

. . . but maybe that’s just me?’

- - - -
in addition see this bizarre image from the 2012 catalogue showing the ‘official hold' - What were they thinking?

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hold!.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	704720  
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 12:33   #3
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post
...... in addition see this bizarre image from the 2012 catalogue showing the ‘official hold' - What were they thinking?
Seems like a perfectly natural hold for a HunTer !
Matches up nicely with the Cro-Magnon brow !!

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th September 2019, 16:15   #4
Gilmore Girl
Beth

I used to think this was a good idea when I first saw this bino, but placing the focus below the bridge means less room between the barrels making a smaller cramped area. The SF at least has more room there since it's a bit longer.

With my CL I rest my middle finger on the bridge and index finger on the focus and this way your fingers are resting straight across with no need to reach/stretch back to focus the wheel.

Chosun has mentioned this many times in the past and I remembered this after using the CL for awhile.
Without thinking I was holding it this way b/c it felt natural. Then I remembered CJ mentioning she holds her Zen Ray the same way.
In this case there's no need to move the wheel forward/down.

With that said, I do find SF very comfortable to hold and realize some people may not find CJ's or my way of holding the bino the best for them. It just came natural to me and I find it very comfortable to use it this way.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Friday 13th September 2019 at 16:18.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 15th October 2019, 14:57   #5
SteveTS

A gentle bump to this thread.

Quote:
At it’s original price point aesthetics matter a great deal i.e. the idea that ‘you only get one chance to make a first impression’
Yes, John, ‘only one chance to make a first impression’ on you, who knows what the next man thinks?

Quote:
The then unique ‘upside down’ placement of the focuser is a very good idea. The handling it makes possible should have been the main point in all the advertising - but the focuser placement and handling are not even mentioned!
To some, perhaps even many, the focuser placement and it's benefit to handling were immediately apparent from the photographs, no need to be told.

This binocular was (is still being) sold as new old stock with objective lens covers, a one piece neoprene ocular cover, case & case strap, bino strap, the Weaver binocular harness, IPD locking nut, and an end screw to cover the tripod exit.

I re-fabbed mine, replacing the strap and the lens covers and have pictured it alongside another gem also little appreciated on here but in the outside world very rarely seen for resale...I wonder why...

Regards, Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tripod exit cover.jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	707635  Click image for larger version

Name:	Focus wheel placement.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	707636  

Last edited by SteveTS : Tuesday 15th October 2019 at 15:59.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: