• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

October 31st.

73 Brambling - one briefly in nearby trees fortunately called a lot.

Another one that I did not realise was new for the year until the fantastic eBird flagged it up. My garden has been #3 in the UK for species recorded by eBird patch listers this month.

Steve

Tell me about it :C
Curse you Dr Evil Dan8-P

Two more yesterday -

29. Redwing flocks of 60 and 40 over as I was leaving am
30. Jay 2 in the back hedge

;)

Three more this morning in 5 minutes.

Just got back from dropping OH off at the railway station, heard and then saw Firecrest in neighbours front garden. Sprinted to mine and inside gate and could still see it, although no features. Went inside for bins, and could still hear it when I went back out. Stood on front step (hoping no-one would see me) and it then flew into a small conifer in the front garden.

31. Firecrest
32. Dunnock
33. Starling 1 distant bird in flight

Last edited:
October 31st.

73 Brambling - one briefly in nearby trees fortunately called a lot.

Another one that I did not realise was new for the year until the fantastic eBird flagged it up. My garden has been #3 in the UK for species recorded by eBird patch listers this month.

Steve

Thanks for the idea Steve, my Garden/Yard list for the year on eBird showed two more species than I have reported on here, sure enough I had forgotten to include:
82 Bonelli's Warbler, singing male on 10 May plus an autumn bird.
83 Short-toed Eagle, just the one sighting on 2 June so I suspect the local pair did not breed this year.
So I've two months in which to try and find three more species to equal last year, Grey Wagtail is a glaring miss but I can't think of anything else likely - so let's hope for the unlikely:t:

;)

Three more this morning in 5 minutes.

33. Starling 1 distant bird in flight

And two more mid-morning.

34. Goldcrest
35. Blackcap (f)

Garden looked to be heaving with birds (maybe the neighbours cats were all inside due to the weather); Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, 41 Starling on the overhead wires, 5+ Redwing feeding, 16 Goldfinch on neighbours alder etc ...

Having just re-checked my current garden year list, I find I’ve “over-counted” by two! Thus....unless I can pull them out of the hat, I’m now languishing on 83. :-C

After poring over my daily diary, I’ve re-found Golden Plover (still one short) but have closed the gap....back to 84. :)

Last edited:
Haven't been updating for a while, but some nice additions recently - large flocks of late Cranes, Goshawk and Rough-legged Buzzard on 20 October, daily Nutcrackers, White-backed Woodpecker et al back on the feeders, Waxwing over this Saturday and, best of the lot, a cracking Pygmy Owl this weekend

Was roosting in a nestbox all day, birds kept looking inside and alarming - I didn't see the bird at this stage, but guessed it was Pygmy Owl. Then it came out a couple of hours before dark, and sat watching me. Then, as getting dark, it started calling.

127. Goshawk
128. Pygmy Owl
129. Waxwing
130. Crossbill

Last edited:
Back on the board after a small absence! I saw a flyover

92. American Pipit (f) (yard lifer)

Yet another yard lifer that's not unexpected but just needs some time and effort. Still, the excitement was there with a new addition!

And two more mid-morning.

35. Blackcap (f)

3rd Nov - 2 more first thing in the morning from the bedroom window before going out to lead a bird walk

36. Fieldfare - bit unexpcted, 2 feeding in the hollytree out back
37. Bulfinch f

4th Nov

38. Carrion Crow - all corvids I've looked at so far have been Rooks (or Jackdaws etc) ...

Two more this morning (Hi Rchard ;) )

39. Song Thrush
40. Great Black-backed Gull over

Both just after 8am. There was also a pulse of movement overhead, with 2 flocks of Fieldfare (140 total), 60 Redwing and 600 Woodpigeon over. A Firecrest obscured in the hedge, but looked out a bit later to see 3 together - chasing and crest-raising.

Back on the board after a small absence! I saw a flyover

92. American Pipit (f) (yard lifer)

Yet another yard lifer that's not unexpected but just needs some time and effort. Still, the excitement was there with a new addition!

Nice! Pipits seem to be all the rage at the moment ... ;)

The gods are smiling! A superbly lit Woodcock breaking free of the canopy and headed East over the houses. no.85.

Seems to be a bit of a spurt for many yard listers! I added yet another species when a

93. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

landed in trees adjacent to the yard this morning.

November 8th.

74. Pink-footed Goose - a skein of 55 heading high east, en route from Lancs to Norfolk.

First Blackcap for the winter yesterday. Otherwise very steady of late.

Steve

Before I forget, added

41) Black-headed Gull flyover

on the 8th. Firecrest and Chiffchaff past the garden today. A Pygmy Owl would be nice of course ... ;)

Will tot up my 'expected' additions target list at some point. Having only started late August have the second winter period to enjoy only, and reckon on maybe only 10 from Deb Burhinus' post above, #678, and only a few other possibles. We'll see ....

Can I have wader sp on my list?

12 waders just flew past - too distant for positive id - most likely Black-tailed Godwits.

Certainly not H, we have to maintain the high standard of the thread( and I wasn’t allowed pigeon sp a few years back, not that that influences my rejection of your wader sp ahem);)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back