• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Warbler vs. Arctic Warbler (1 Viewer)

shishmarefbirder

How does one tell the difference between Wood Warblers and Arctic Warblers? Here on the western shores of the Seward Peninsula Arctic Warbler is always the go to since a Wood Warbler would be a rare site although not out of the question. I am 99% sure the bird in the photo is an Arctic but with sightings to the south at Gambell, AK I want to learn.

Attachments

• IMG_9845.jpg
    IMG_9845.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 295
Totally wrong for Wood Warbler, which is longer winged, shorter-tailed and with brighter green overall plumage, usually with lemon yellow throat and face markings.
This looks spot on for Arctic Warbler, as you suspected.

I read somewhere that with the Arctic Warbler the supercilium often curves upwards toward the rear; That certainly seems to be the case with the bird in your photo. When I looked at google image search of Wood Warblers with the ones I saw, the superciliums (Supercilia?) didn't have that feature.

It IS an Arctic Warbler. Wood Warbler is a much brighter and more contrasting bird – bright greenish above with purer white underparts contrasting with yellow throat and breast, and with no wingbar.

Agree that Wood Warbler is much different, they really stand out and their very long PP and massive undertail coverts that make the tail look short apart from the above mentioned features don't really make Arctic a confusion with Wood.

It is certainly an Arctic type but i would have thought a Kamchatka was possible given the locality although borealis the more likely. Sound recordings of the call would be useful.

Thank you for all the insights all of you have given. Europeans have much more contact with these birds. They didn't make a peep the entire time I was around. And yes Shishmaref is an amazing place to live.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back